3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2017 2:09 PM by Ryan Dark

Fixture Direction Symbol

Sarvesh Ambekar

Dear Community Members/Support,

I came across an issue pertaining to a direction symbol for an applied fixture.

Fixture is being applied using a reference geometry (plane) and direction to normal to the referenced plane is restrained.

With this configuration the direction of fixture as seen in the model is shown below,

When I check the Reverse direction toggle still the direction of arrows are not being updated.

Still, I see no change in the applied direction of the symbols appearing in the model,

This always confuses me. Whether the problem is with my understanding of the concept or something in the tool is not working as expected?

Also, I have another couple of questions in this regard,

Is there anyway to completely restrained the translational motion of the object in a particular direction with a single constrain?

If Roller/Slider can apply a restrain in either direction then why the symbol shows the application in only one way?

May be you can guide me with my amateur questions.

Best Regards

Sarvesh

• Re: Fixture Direction Symbol
          Ryan Dark

Hi Sarvesh,

The arrow is not switching when you use 'Reverse direction' in this specific case because mathematically 0 == -0; arrow direction does not matter for the translation value you have specified.  If you were to use this fixture with a non-zero value you would then see the arrow change direction to represent the true direction of the prescribed displacement.  For a zero value the arrow direction being flipped 180 degrees has no meaning.  However, knowing that the arrow is acting in that direction is important as the face this fixture is applied will resist movement in either the arrows direction or the opposite direction.

• Re: Fixture Direction Symbol
              Sarvesh Ambekar

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your answer.

In CREO when you apply fixture for translational movement then you see arrow in either direction so you are sure what is the intension. In CREO when you apply prescribed motion you define it with positive or negative value. Where as in Solidworks this is done by the Direction check box & therefore I had this confusion.

From Your explanation I could understand two things (please correct me if I am wrong),

1. For Zero value the fixture is applied in either direction, even if the arrow shows only one direction
              2. Direction check box will be only useful for the non-zero translational values.

Many thanks for your reply and guidance.