6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 10:43 AM by Dave Hoder

Hardware Schedules - How Do You Do It?

Dave Hoder

Anyone putting a hardware schedule on drawings? How do you do it?

With Inventor you can save a filtered bom template so it's easy to put an associative hardware schedule on a drawing. I don't see any way to do this in SolidWorks - I can hide rows but that's an accident waiting to happen.

• Re: Hardware Schedules - How Do You Do It?
          John Stoltzfus

Dave Hoder wrote:

- I can hide rows but that's an accident waiting to happen.

I use Hide Selected all the time and there's no accident about it, that I'm aware of. One way you could do it is add another configuration and suppress everything except the Hardware and then in the drawing you can call for that configuration and all your hardware will be listed. 

Jim Sculley

I put all the hardware at the bottom of the feature tree (in a folder named 'Hardware') and then tell the BOM to 'Follow Assembly Order'.

Matt Peneguy

Is there a way to choose if a part is displayed in the BOM based on a custom property?

All I've got is a variant on Jim Sculley's method.  Add a new config and exclude everything else from BOM, in that config.  Add a view off to the side of the sheet of that config and add a new BOM linked to that view for the HW schedule...Sounds like a hack, right?..Well, that's what I've done in the past.

Anybody got a robust solution?

Dan Pihlaja

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Is there a way to choose if a part is displayed in the BOM based on a custom property?

All I've got is a variant on Jim Sculley's method. Add a new config and exclude everything else from BOM, in that config. Add a view off to the side of the sheet of that config and add a new BOM linked to that view for the HW schedule...Sounds like a hack, right?..Well, that's what I've done in the past.

Anybody got a robust solution?

You can sort your parts by custom property using Assembly Visualization and then export that list to an Excel document.   However, that is not the same thing as putting it on a drawing.

Dave Hoder

Thanks guys, it looks like accident waiting to happen wins. A configuration with a bunch of sub-assemblies would be even harder to maintain.