11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2017 5:51 PM by Amos Avery

Task Host Configuration - Best Practice

Shaun Toms

So, I'm wondering what the best practice is for a Task Host Configuration setup? Most resources I've come across talk about setting up a single computer to run the Task via a Transition. Which is currently how we have it done.

Is this the best practice, allocating a license to a dedicated computer who's only job it is, is to run the tasks?

What are others doing?

• Re: Task Host Configuration - Best Practice
          Steven Dod

We currently run the task on the computer that initiates the task.  I tried using a dedicated PC but kept having problems with the PC getting restarted for one reason or another (power outage, weekly updates, IT policy etc...).  I kept having to remote into the computer to log into the vault so it would process the tasks.  With 3 of us starting tasks through transitions it just got to be a big hassle.  Plus I do not need a dedicated license.

Steve

Stephen Lapic

We, also, run the task on the computer that initiates the task. I didn't want to use a dedicated computer because tasks aren't run often enough to warrant it but I didn't want them run on mine either.

Shaun Toms

Steven Dod Stephen Lapic We thought of same thing, but we have additional users (purchasing) that don't have SolidWorks but need to be able to send IGS, STL or STP files to the vendors for quotes and tooling as needed. So it kind of results in a dilemma. We either have a stand alone computer that does everything, or we have purchasing request it from engineering and then wait. If that person is on vacation or out sick and didn't set up their out of office, we lose time.

Still may end up going that route though.

Shaun Toms

Steven Dod Stephen Lapic

Related question. Does each computer have to be added to the permitted computers list when going this route? Don't think I've seen a yes or no to that anywhere in the docs.

Steven Dod

If you use a dedicated computer then only the dedicated computer has to be listed.  This is definitely a benefit.  Also, if we had a lot of people that needed to run the tasks then I would have used the dedicated PC and dealt with the issues.  My main complaint was the task that is critical to business, PDF creation after drawing approval, would get stuck.  We would then have to regenerate the task after fixing what ever was messing with the process.  We do get failure notifications so it is not a huge deal but, for us, was more inconvenient than useful.

Shaun Toms

We haven't had any tasks get stuck, unless someone who's an infrequent user opens SolidWorks and checks out the license. Then our dedicated machine sits there waiting for a license to become available before it ever completes the task. No one knows about it unless they start wondering where their PDF or Export files are after trying 12 more times because it didn't work the first time <rolling eyes>.

I don't want to allocate the license only to that machine because it's only used for tasks and nothing else. But it's something I may have to do.

So did you have to add all the computers of everyone who can run the task to the Permitted Computer list, or did you only have to check the "Execute on computer where task initiated" bullet? I may try it, but don't want to have to add every computer if I don't have to.

Lee CS Young

In most setups that I have done, the tasks are run on the archive server.

Amos Avery

We have one location that uses a dedicated computer.  It is watched over by one person who receives all of the success/failure notifications.  If it stops making PDF's or starts throwing errors, he remotes in and fixes it.  Our licenses are floating and our teams don't all use SW all day long so we get by.

We have another location where we use the archive server as the task host.  This works fine also.  We are considering adding a second dedicated machine (probably a replicated archive server) because we have users in Europe who do not like their decimal commas (,) replaced with decimal points (.) when the PDF drawings are produced.  This is a function of the system settings on the machine making the export.  This will be more tricky to automate, however.

-Amos

Shaun Toms

One thing I thought of doing was creating separate groups, one group which is the 100% type users that use SW pretty much all day long. Another group which is the part time users, the ones that only need it once in a while which would share the license with the dedicated machine. Then having 2 different converts one for the dedicated that used there own machines to generate the docs another that the other group uses which goes through the dedicated machine. Both being controlled by 2 transitions named the same but with permissions for the appropriate group.

You could probably do something similar for your comma guys versus decimal guys. Have 2 transitions named the same with permissions set for 1 group on 1 transition and the other group on the 2nd transition.

I haven't had a chance to test it out on my end because I've been wrapped up in other issues and it took a back burner while I try to figure out the best way to handle the whole thing.