1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2017 3:03 AM by Elmar Klammer

Hiding clutter lines on drawings?

Shane Davis

Often times I have drawing views  where lines are visible "thru" the feature that I am adding dimensions to (such as holes, slots, etc.)

Is it an acceptable practice to hide those lines on the drawing view to increase clarity?

Are there any standard notations used for this (such as: "some lines in this view removed for clarity")?

There is some talk about hidden lines in ASME Y14.5 But I don't see any samples or direction for this situation?

Some of it could be fixed with "section views" but that adds more views to an already crowed print sometimes.

Any input would be appreciated...

(See sample picture below with lines shown and lines removed)

REMOVE-LINES.JPG

• Re: Hiding clutter lines on drawings?
          Elmar Klammer

Hello Shane,

Look for the hide object lines icon.

Another options is to make a section view where you specify the depth. Or you can look up >hide behind plane< function in the help file.

I some cases it makes sense to create a model sketch of the outlines you want to show and transfer the sketch in the drawing view via convert entities. I use that in assemblies where I create a display style hiding all clutter and use that in the drawing together with the ref sketch.

Elmar