3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 9:01 AM by Dan Pihlaja

Breadcrumb VS Context Menu

Abhijeet Narvenkar

Hi All,

I'd like to know the regular workflow for use of Breadcrumbs & Context Menu in Parts/Assemblies. Have 3 questions:

1. Breadcrumb VS Context Menu - which is the most frequently used? (OR do you use both for different purposes?)

2. Which is the next most frequent operation in the Breadcrumb menu? (OR what are your end goals where in you use Breadcrumbs as an intermediate for)

3. Which is the next most frequent operation in the Context menu? (OR what are your end goals where in you use Context Menu as an intermediate for)

• Re: Breadcrumb VS Context Menu
          David Mandl

In my case:

The context menu has been around for so long (and has long been so useful) that it's where I go.  I like the breadcrumbs quite a bit and I"m trying to get in the habit of using them more, but there just isn't the history for me.

The key thing I'd use breadcrumbs for is mostly for making edits or opening items that are buried in a complicated tree: editing features that created the features that I selected, opening parts in sub-sub-sub-assemblies, and the like.

My BIG issue right now is that breadcrumbs don't show up in drawings, and this is (in effect) a regression in behavior.  I (and my colleagues) are used to being able to open sub-assemblies from drawings (select a component, and you can open the part, open the sub-assembly or open the top-level assembly).  But as of our 2017 upgrade, that option isn't there any more (can open part or top-level assembly, but no opening sub-assembly option).  I'm not used to SW taking stuff away like that.

EDIT:  Yeah, and there it is in the Knowledge Base.

SPR 932911 "Assembly drawing view right click menu on a part that is contained in a subassembly no longer has the option to open the subassembly".  If everyone could vote on that one right now that'd be GREAT.

Jim Wilkinson

David Mandl wrote:

In my case:

The context menu has been around for so long (and has long been so useful) that it's where I go. I like the breadcrumbs quite a bit and I"m trying to get in the habit of using them more, but there just isn't the history for me.

The key thing I'd use breadcrumbs for is mostly for making edits or opening items that are buried in a complicated tree: editing features that created the features that I selected, opening parts in sub-sub-sub-assemblies, and the like.

My BIG issue right now is that breadcrumbs don't show up in drawings, and this is (in effect) a regression in behavior. I (and my colleagues) are used to being able to open sub-assemblies from drawings (select a component, and you can open the part, open the sub-assembly or open the top-level assembly). But as of our 2017 upgrade, that option isn't there any more (can open part or top-level assembly, but no opening sub-assembly option). I'm not used to SW taking stuff away like that.

EDIT: Yeah, and there it is in the Knowledge Base.

SPR 932911 "Assembly drawing view right click menu on a part that is contained in a subassembly no longer has the option to open the subassembly". If everyone could vote on that one right now that'd be GREAT.

Hi David,

SPR# 932911 actually has nothing to do with breadcrumbs. It was an independent regression in behavior due to other changes in the context toolbar and was not intentional. It has been fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP02.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Pihlaja

I can say that I fully agree with David.   I am trying to use Breadcrumbs more often, but I am not used to them yet.  I mostly use them to select things like David said.  I use the context menu ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME!