15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 4:05 PM by Todd Blacksher

Help on computer choice

Ricky Burton

Hello,

I'm faced with a bit of a problem I am currently running SolidWorks 2017 on my laptop, which is an Asus rog which has an i7 6700hq and 16gb of ram SSD but the graphics card is a gtx980m (not supported) and a 17-inch screen.

and now that my work is getting more detailed and on a larger scale the screen I personally think is too small so I'm thinking of selling the laptop and getting a desktop.

I have an HP xw6600 workstation, which has 2 Xeon 5420 processors, 32gb of ram, possible an SSD if it will accept it. and a nvs250 I think which will be replaced with something better.

So basically changing over will I think will be a bit of a downgrade when it comes to the CPU and RAM but it is able to have a better graphics card and bigger screen.

Do you think that it's too much of a downgrade on CPU and RAM or is it ok and get away with the change?

• Re: Help on computer choice
          Grant Mattis

Depends on what you do in a day and where your current delays are. Your i7 cpu looks like it is 2.6ghz with boost up to 3.5ghz and the Xeon is 2.5ghz with no boost. You could do some testing of your own first since you own both computers but without an SSD in the xeon computer it will be hard to compare the difference as they can give a huge performance boost.

For my workflow I know I need a fast cpu so I will do just about anything to keep the fastest one possible.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ricky Burton

Thanks for your help, I'm going to look possible at a new system but in the mean time test to see where the Xeon machine will get me.

Question is a quadro is good for realview, so what does SolidWorks as a program utilise more is it the CPU Ram or both?

My models are normally large assemblies with alot of details.

Christian Chu

I'm faced with a bit of a problem I am currently running SolidWorks 2017 on my laptop, which is an Asus rog which has an i7 6700hq and 16gb of ram SSD but the graphics card is a gtx980m (not supported) and a 17-inch screen.

and now that my work is getting more detailed and on a larger scale the screen I personally think is too small so I'm thinking of selling the laptop and getting a desktop.

I have an HP xw6600 workstation, which has 2 Xeon 5420 processors, 32gb of ram, possible an SSD if it will accept it. and a nvs250 I think which will be replaced with something better

Actually, it'd be a good system - I think you're upgrading, not down. Xeon is more robust system with L3 catch and also better for rendering

Ryan Navarro

If you like the laptop why not just hook up an external monitor (or two) to it? You can also add external keyboard/mouse, and treat it like a desktop. This is the configuration I've used for the longest time, with the added benefit of being able to pack it up and go when I need to travel.

That series Xeon is quite old, I think it could be somewhat of a noticeable downgrade in single threaded performance- which means rebuild times, and general interactions with the model.

Bart Brejcha

Dell Precision machines w/ two docking stations and large format monitors at each docking station.  one at home and one at work

Im a big Dell fan

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Todd Blacksher

Bart Brejcha wrote:

Dell Precision machines w/ two docking stations and large format monitors at each docking station. one at home and one at work

Im a big Dell fan

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Right there with you! - I'm getting ready to get something new, so that I can move my M4500 to "light-duty" stuff.

(After 7+ years of crunching, it has definitely earned it!)

todd