4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 11:20 AM by David Nelson

Locate/open replace file

David Nelson

This error message gives 3 choices.  No matter which one you pick each time you open this file you get the error.  Not even sure why this error is coming up.  started happening with 2017 Sp3.  There are a bunch of files with this same part and some get the error.  Have not figured out why some and not all.

Help

• Re: Locate/open replace file
          Dan Pihlaja

Can you share a Pack and go ZIP file of the assembly?

What is kind of sounds like is the following scenario:

Inside the same folder as your Assembly file you have a part file with the exact same name as the one that you want to point to that is in a different folder.  This file has broken/dangling references, while the one you want to point to doesn't have broken references.  Can you check for this?

David Nelson

As far as I can find there is only one subassembly that is causing this.  A Pack and go may just correct it.  Depending on the Sub Assembly it will be in a different folder and location.  Even the parts that make up the sub assembly will be in a different folder.

I have been trying but so far I find only one instance of each sub assembly and part.  But am still checking.

I will say the parts that work are newer parts the ones that are failing are all older part.  But saving them to the current version of Solidworks does not help.

David Nelson

I may have found it.  The sub assemblies were changed in the past.  That left Mates that were broken in the part, these were suppressed but still causing problems.  Once these old mates were deleted that message went away.

David Nelson

Nope did not fix it matter of fact it came back with a vengeance.  There is only one instance of these part. that I can find anywhere.  Even going in and replacing the part just to make sure gives me the same response.  Short of deleting solid work and putting on a new copy I think I have tried everything.

I did try to upload the latest download for 2018 sp4 and it tells me I am using XP.  When I am on win 7.

I tried to open these files on a co-works computer and did not always have this problem.

Each time I open the parts they have a different number of parts that they claim were replaced from 1-8-9 to even 18 on the same Assembly.  Sure which I could upload the part but can't company rules.  It happens on a lot of assemblies not just one.