29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 8:35 AM by Dave Bear

Forum filtering

Matt Peneguy

I see a recurring theme on the forum and have run into this myself.  Don't get me wrong I really like the banter in these forums, and I participate in it myself.  However, sometimes I would like to be able to filter a thread to be able to find useful information.  Recently, I saw a troubling exchange in What are your most impressive tricks of solidworks, Please spread. regarding all of this "noise" in the thread making it difficult to find relevant information.

So, I'm asking the question, how could the forums be changed to make it easier to either filter or find information.  And I'll get this started by suggesting a possibility.  Could the interface for the forums be changed such that you could choose a number x+ of likes to display?  So, anything less than x would not show in a particular thread if I selected that filter.  I think in the thread above that would filter a lot of the noise.  Sure some really funny posts that got a lot of likes would be in the results, and I'm fine with that, but most of the "LMAO" posts would get filtered out.

Even better would be for someone to post a good system they have experience with that handles this type of thing better.  I don't know if slashdot's system would work for us, but it has something similar to what I have described above:

(I apologize if I missed any obscenities in the above pic, it is hard to find a topic without any on that site, but they have what I think is a very good filtering system.)

What are people's thoughts?

• Re: Forum filtering
          J. Mather

I encourage you to participate in clearing the noise.

Now, let's see how long this post lasts.

Off Topic.png

Dennis Dohogne

J. Mather, I think you might have hit on the only real option available to us.  We can only delete our own posts.  I just deleted a couple from another thread as I said I would.  But your suggestion can be the nudge to get others to clean up their own posts and it should (eventually) encourage fewer off-topic posts.

Jim Steinmeyer

J. Mather,

How does the reported abuse thing work? If this sends a note to the Administrator giving them more work to do, I don't think it would be the route to go. However, if it sends a note to the poster suggesting to delete it, that would be great!

Matt Peneguy

I suspect it just makes more work for Richard Doyle.  That's why I was asking for ideas and made the suggestion I did.  If we had a filtering type of system, some of this could take care of itself. 

J. Mather

I have no idea how it works, but from my experience - it does work.

I do not care if it creates work for the Administrator.

If too many reports of abuse are made - I suspect the Administrator will find a solution.

Richard Doyle

When something is flagged for any of the following reasons...

...I get a message.  I then have to decide if the flag is warranted (some of them are easy, some not) and take some action.  If I end up deleting the post, I will (almost always) send a message to the OP explaining why.

So yes, this causes me more work in the long run.  As Dave Bear so kindly pointed out today, moderating the forums is my "side job"

I appreciate this post and I hope it will help people stop and think a moment before posting something off topic in a "legitimate" thread. 

I'm okay with Kitty Dumps and off topic threads that are clearly marked as such, but I would truly appreciate some self-policing when it comes to hijacking threads.

This is your forum, and might be the best resource available for a lot of people.  We are getting nearly 35 new registrants on the site each day, and most of them are looking for help.  Sometimes it's not so easy to find it through the noise

Richard

Jim Steinmeyer

Richard Doyle wrote:

So yes, this causes me more work in the long run. As Dave Bear so kindly pointed out today, moderating the forums is my "side job"

This is your forum, and might be the best resource available for a lot of people. We are getting nearly 35 new registrants on the site each day, and most of them are looking for help. Sometimes it's not so easy to find it through the noise

Richard

This is why I wasn't sure marking it would be the most efficient method. My thought was that if we could easily send the poster a note they could help in the self policing without keeping you from more important things. It would also avoid adding another useless note to the thread. I think Bjorn Hulman might have a workable idea.

John Stoltzfus

Jim Steinmeyer - and everybody else - yes we can all come up with better solutions, but SW Forum platform is stuck where it's at, was my understanding and not an overnight switch or fix... Till then we have choices and here is my suggestion...  either (A) send me a PM when you want my message to disappear, (B) every old post that comes up look through it a delete only your posts, there is a dialog box that comes up giving you a choice, only judge your own replies and only remove your own replies...  Just going through the tips & tricks post, it dropped 2 or 3 pages -

Together we can make a difference - You Can tell me where to get off at

John Stoltzfus

Heard you Matt Peneguy & Dennis Dohogne in Request for Forum EtiquetteDavid Matula in who cleans up after you? and I heard Jim Wilkinson in this post What are your most impressive tricks of solidworks, Please spread. - and it sadden me to see the final results of In the Path of Irma - and if you see I did call out people including myself.  What happened

This has bugged me enough in the past to finally get something going so you and I can tell someone that if they just want to keep fussing go over here The "Kitty Dump"  - **** SWIFT ****  Watercooler - Trash it Here - Food For Thought - Talk About Whatever Here ;) - can we help each other and guide people along.... ??

It was pointed out to me before I started the Kitty Dump that soon I'll be trying to police the forum, which was the furthest thing from my mind - So now all of a sudden we have multiple people being bugged the same way, which is good.  The only thing I would be concerned of is that people take things their own way, right away, have patience, we have the history of swinging too far one way, there is danger in swinging to far the other way as well...

David Matula

John there are a few fun post to go to....who cleans up after you can be like the kitty dump and watercooler...or trash it here....I should have moved some of mine there like my post on things I see.....if I don't update that one it is dead as far as I know and I don't think that I will try to bring it back to the list.  All that is needed to bring a post back to life is for someone to comment on it and then boom it hits the top of the list like it is a new question being asked and the inbox gets full....

we need a tab that says hay I'm frustrated and need to vent before I blow....that would take us to some of the kitty dump water cooler and trash it here or a crash post....that I keep brining back...lol....

spaces and groups has nothing for social post and just venting that the program is driving you nuts.....today cause it crashed 3 times in an hour and you got 15 min to get drawings to the customer or you loose the $12.9m job that you been working on all month to bid on.

the other recurring topic that needs its own space is computer setup recommendations and questions...

Glenn Schroeder

I'd be interested in seeing how it would work to give the originator of a Discussion the ability to delete replies after he or she has been a member for X amount of time.

Tony Tieuli

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing how it would work to give the originator of a Discussion the ability to delete replies after he or she has been a member for X amount of time.

I think I understand the intent but wouldn't that effectively give the originator the ability to censor anyone who disagrees with them or who they just don't like?

Glenn Schroeder

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I think I understand the intent but wouldn't that effectively give the originator the ability to censor anyone who disagrees with them or who they just don't like?

Yes, it would.  That's why I suggested having it available only for members that have been around a while.  It's just an idea, and I haven't died from my first one of those yet.

Tony Tieuli

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Yes, it would. That's why I suggested having it available only for members that have been around a while. It's just an idea, and I haven't died from my first one of those yet.

I didn't mean to offend and I certainly don't mean to stifle anyone's ideas. I was just giving my thoughts.

Bjorn Hulman

Why not add an action to allow individuals to mark the comment as 'off topic' and keep a tally thereof. RThen allow viewers to hide all comments with x amount of 'off topic' marks? Kind of a hybrid of the suggestions of Matt Peneguy and J. Mather? It would circumvent the requirement for a moderator to get involved until it gets x number of off topic marks.

PS, sorry for my contributions to the noise

S. Casale

I like the idea of forum filter as well. I like the idea of being able to hide posts about subjects and posts from individuals.

As a noise contributor, my apologies.

Tony Tieuli

Scott Casale wrote:

I like the idea of forum filter as well. I like the idea of being able to hide posts about subjects and posts from individuals.

As a noise contributor, my apologies.

I like this idea!

This would allow each individual forum user to decide for themselves what they want to see and what they don't want to see without preventing everyone else from seeing that content.

If you don't like what I have to say, by all means block me!

Dennis Dohogne

I think the ideas/suggestions already posted here have merit, but in recent conversations I've had with Richard Doyle and Jim Wilkinson I learned that a lot of these things are not possible due to the constraints of their forum host, Jive.  To that end it is best we police ourselves.  We can do this starting right now, with no extra work for Richard and without having to wait for some new functionality to be added.  Let's try to keep on topic and take our humor elsewhere to the posts setup just for that outlet, or delete our off-topic posts after they've had their fifteen minutes in the spotlight (preferably the former, not the latter).

So many posts on this forum have a tremendous collection of tips/ideas/help, but they have been cluttered with non-contributing banter.  Personally, I have dramatically cut down on my posts because of this.  I don't want to be cluttering up someone else's inbox and waste their time reading something off-topic.

Matt Peneguy

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

I learned that a lot of these things are not possible due to the constraints of their forum host, Jive.

Dennis,

Part of this thread is supposed to be about finding alternative types of forum systems or controls that we may want.  It's a separate question of whether or not SWX will or can implement them.  Apparently, when you have asked it wasn't in the cards.  Things change and if we identify a superior system or have a compelling enough argument, maybe they can take it to the upper management and they will listen.

Dennis Dohogne

Don't get me wrong, Matt Peneguy.  I am all for pushing for changes and expanding the envelope of capabilities.  I think the suggestions here are good.  I was simply saying that I have recently learned that a lot of these are not likely to happen any time soon, if ever, due to the host, Jive.  That does not mean we shouldn't offer constructive ideas on how to improve the system.  Quite the the contrary, we should.

But I was saying that since a lot of these changes won't happen anytime soon, perhaps we could take advantage of what we can do right now - that is each of us trying to minimize (not completely eliminate) our off-topic and non-contributing posts.  We don't need to wait for anything to be implemented in order to do that.

Rick Becker

For me, this is such a grey area.

Where is the line? Who draws the line?

I try to add a bit of levity when the posters don't know how to spell Google or the answers keep repeating and echoing the same answer.

So, If I step over that grey line, kindly message me and let me know.

If I even remotely agree with you I will delete my post.

But, tell me this guys. Do you want me to stop adding a bit of humor, wit and frivolity all together?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Jim Steinmeyer

Rick, the answer to that, at least from me, is NO don't stop.

Tony Tieuli

Rick Becker wrote:

For me, this is such a grey area.

Where is the line? Who draws the line?

I try to add a bit of levity when the posters don't know how to spell Google or the answers keep repeating and echoing the same answer.

So, If I step over that grey line, kindly message me and let me know.

If I even remotely agree with you I will delete my post.

But, tell me this guys. Do you want me to stop adding a bit of humor, wit and frivolity all together?

Inquiring minds want to know...

If everybody stayed strictly on topic all the time and nobody injected wit or humor into these forums some of the light would go out of my day.

No, emphatically No, don't stop.

Dave Bear

You raise a very good and very valid point here Matt.

I look at it from a slightly different perspective. One that doesn't necessarily disagree with you, but one that thinks that it's just up to us (as others have said) to bring things back on track.

Think of the comments in a thread as the words being spoken by friends sitting around a table. No matter what the subject, connotations and tangents will arise and the odd bit of banter will keep the interest amongst those friends. Having said that, the mutual interest amongst those friends should steer the conversation back to it's point sooner rather than later. 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' so to speak. The forum has obviously worked for years without this raising it's head, and no doubt I'm just as much to blame as much as any other, but without putting any more work on any other being or getting some new wiz-bang feature within the threads, perhaps we just adopt a better mindset and keep the odd bit of banter short and sweet within threads and save the nonsense for the  The "Kitty Dump" - Watercooler - Trash it Here.

I don't really see that much needs to change other than just cutting it back a bit and showing a bit more tact.

Only MY opinion buddy

Dave.

John Stoltzfus

Theonlythingthatwoulddoistocreatezumbiesoutofeveryoneofusandwewouldstarttalkinglikemartians....

Matt Peneguy

Dave,

Please don't take any of this the wrong way.  I like the back and forth on the forums just as much as everyone else.  But, when I go to find something in the What are your most impressive tricks of solidworks, Please spread. I have a really difficult time because it is something like 50 pages long.  What we have here is a terribly inefficient system.  It's like if I dumped all of my Solidworks files into one directory with no structure.  I'm not advocating a change to something else, yet.  I'm simply asking what other options are out there that we may want to consider.  I have seen a few posts to that effect, but most are aimed at either using the system we currently have or stifling people's comments (No offense to the people who have posted that.  I agree it is somewhat necessary using the current system).  I guess I could have worded the original post better because this thread has really veered off of where I wanted it to go.  And I consider my post right here some of that "noise".

So people, what other systems are out there?