5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 8:44 PM by Phillip Johnston

Archive Servers No Longer Found When Trying To Create Vault View

Jim Sculley

Using EPDM SW2017 SP1, when I try to create a new vault view, the archive server is no longer found automatically:

I can add it manually, but this is new behavior despite the fact that I haven't changed anything.  Same results on two different clients.  Any thoughts?

• Re: Archive Servers No Longer Found When Trying To Create Vault View
          Seamus Harrison

Hi Jim,

This behaviour can occur in multi-domain environments as the archive server may not announce itself automatically through the ports between the domains. SolidWorks PDM uses port 3030 to broadcast across domains, I would check to ensure the rules and policies on this port are still correct on the clients and server. I would also ensure that the SQL instance on the server is not set to hidden in SQL management studio.

I hope this helps

Phillip Johnston

Hi Jim,

Also, this can happen if you're running PDM Professional and during the install, you didn't change the license type to PDM Professional (the default license type it installs, unless manually changed, is PDM Standard).

In this case, you can modify your install to change the license type. To do this, go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>Right click on SOLIDWORKS>Select Change

This will launch the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager. On the first screen, select Modify this Individual Installation>Select Next until you see the heading PDM Options. Expand that by selecting the "+" next to it and change the license type to PDM Professional. Follow the prompts from there.

Please let us know if this helps.

Seamus Harrison

Phillip's suggestion is the far more likely reason

Jim Sculley

Phillip Johnston wrote:

Hi Jim,

Also, this can happen if you're running PDM Professional and during the install, you didn't change the license type to PDM Professional (the default license type it installs, unless manually changed, is PDM Standard).

In this case, you can modify your install to change the license type. To do this, go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>Right click on SOLIDWORKS>Select Change

This will launch the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager. On the first screen, select Modify this Individual Installation>Select Next until you see the heading PDM Options. Expand that by selecting the "+" next to it and change the license type to PDM Professional. Follow the prompts from there.

Please let us know if this helps.

I suspect the problem might be related to this but the current installation is EPDM Pro:

I always install from an admin image, and it is possible that at one point I forgot to select Pro in the admin image, but later corrected it and reinstalled.  This might explain the problem for one machine, but the other machine hasn't been touched since the last time a view was set up and it has the same problem.  However, since the Pro version is what is installed now, it should be working everywhere.

We are on a single domain and I can telnet to port 3030 on the archive server and 1433 on the database server with no problems.