11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2019 10:11 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Mate Reference; Lock Rotation

Kenneth Barrentine

Is it possible to have a concentric "mate reference" that has the "Lock Rotation" option pre-set?

• Re: Mate Reference; Lock Rotation
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Kenneth,

I don't believe so, but it is possible to Lock Rotation on all Concentric mates in an Assembly with one operation.  Right-click on the Mates folder and choose "Lock Concentric Rotation" from the drop-down.  That's what I typically do after Mating several pieces of hardware.  This will of course need to be repeated any time more Mates are added, or you can wait until the Assembly is finished and get them all at one time.

John Stoltzfus

Kenneth Barrentine - 100% with Glenn Schroeder on his reply, but just to add to his note - all you need to do is select the Mate Icon in the feature tree, right click and select "Lock Concentric Rotation"

Kenneth Barrentine

Thanks John, I got it.

I just have to be mindful of other concentric mates that are locating components.

I might want some of those concentric mates to be free to rotate or rely on other mates to lock the rotation.

Dennis Dohogne

Kenneth Barrentine wrote:

Thanks John, I got it.

I just have to be mindful of other concentric mates that are locating components.

I might want some of those concentric mates to be free to rotate or rely on other mates to lock the rotation.

If speed and effort is an issue (and when isn't it?) then you might consider the big picture of what is most prevalent - Concentric mates locked or unlocked.  If you have a bunch of fasteners that you want locked and only a few other things with concentric mates that still need to be unlocked then lock them all in one fell swoop and then unlock the few that need to be free.  I have not tried it, but it might be possible to group all the fasteners into a single folder (that is simple enough) and just lock them by folder.

As far as determining the impact of locking on speed, here is an EASY way to find out how it affects you and determine if the small price of time is worth it to you.  In your assembly go to Tools ==> Evaluate ==> Performance Evaluation.  There is a ton of information available here.  Go about halfway down to Rebuild Performance and look at the Assembly Rebuild Report.  Compare the times in this report with and without the large group of concentric mates locked.  If you go further down in the Perf Eval at the very bottom you'll see Statistics.  Look at the two lines: Number of Total Evaluated Mates, and Top Level Mates.  Hint, for the sake of not having to redo a lot of work you might make two configurations of your assembly, one with the mates locked and one with the mates unlocked.

If you would please, report your findings.