I am curious as you what everyone is planning for their upgrade to 2018. Wait for the "official" release or go with one of the pre-release versions?
Thank you in advance for the feedback!
As anxious for some of the new features as I am I have been burned enough. 2018 SP3 or SP4 will do for me.
I've already installed PR 1 and currently just checking the new enhancements.
Our IT department is in charge of the upgrades and when they happen.
Normally we will wait until at least SP3 from the current year before we upgrade. However, with all the news and blowups about SW 2017 (we seemed to have delayed the move to SW 2016), I suspect that they will be waiting until SW2018 SP3 before moving out of SW 2015.
Same here - only upgrading to the new release at SP3
I am running PR-1 for non-production testing, but we probably won't rollout 2018 for production work until SP2.0.
(It all depends on how soon we start receiving files that were created in 2018 - fun part about doing a lot of "job shop" type work.)
I've done a little bit of testing in Beta 1/2/3, but now I'm really going to start spending some time in 2018.
Same as Todd Blacksher.
I'll wait until I receive a file that I can't open in 2017.
I've downloaded and used sp 0 starting with SW2010 (except for SW2011 and SW2013 when we were off subscription). I haven't had the big stability issues other people have reported. I might get burned at some point, but until then I'll probably keep on.
We'll be upgrading to 2017 SP5, then stop. No more new versions. No more money wasted on support contracts.
IDEAL WOULD BE TO UPGRADE ASAP... always need to wait a few service packs so you guys can report and fix problems for us....sometimes it will be three or four years....recently went from 2012 it 2017....and 18 is on the way out in beta testing...and still there is little hope of #1 and #2.
SP3.0 unless SW does not fix an outstanding issue I found in beta 1 that affects an existing workflow then it will not be until it is.
I will download and install 2018 as soon as the production release is available.
I will do this to be prepared if/when a customer sends a 2018 file that I need to access.
After the ignominious fiasco that 2017 is, I won't do any real work with 2018 until I get a comfortable feeling in these forums.
Jason Desrosiers wrote: I am curious as you what everyone is planning for their upgrade to 2018. Wait for the "official" release or go with one of the pre-release versions? Thank you in advance for the feedback!We're still on SW2015. I've recommended against installing anything until at least SP3. Considering the outcry over 2016 and its UI, We've avoided that release, although we may move to 2017 soon. Al
Jason Desrosiers wrote:
Jason Desrosiers wrote:
We're still on SW2015. I've recommended against installing anything until at least SP3. Considering the outcry over 2016 and its UI, We've avoided that release, although we may move to 2017 soon.
I'm still thinking about my 2017 upgrade plan. I never upgrade until sp4 at a minimum. After the 2017 fiasco, I may wait for sp5 from now on.
We will probably jump right into the fire 2018 SP0 - most of what I do is fairly simple modeling, so I'm not worried...
Jim Steinmeyer has already posted here. I suggest you read about all the trouble he and others had at With SW2017 SP2 we are seeing frequent corrupt files in assemblies. Depending on what you are doing with the software, you may or may not have any problems at all. But, I would recommend you read about some of the lost time and data over there before you make a decision for your production data. I'll be installing it at home to evaluate it.
That's the spirit John!
Same as others, when I receive files done in 2018 I will use it then.
Basically what'll happen is that SW 2018 SP0 is going to be the best release ever and most of the people here will still be complaining about 2015, 2016 and 2017, All except me... I be happily modeling and having fun, sitting in the shade, drinkin lemonade and singing .... nee neen na nee neeee
John Stoltzfus, will there be vodka in that lemonade??? That'll surely ease the transition!
IMO, this is the prudent course of action for anyone in a consulting or job-shop sort of environment. (Specifically: getting it right away to be familiar and on the cutting edge, but not actually using it much until customer demand says you do). If you do that sort of thing for a living, you really should be able to know how to juggle multiple releases anyway.
For those of us in manufacturing, I'd say "yeah, no real rush, just wait until SP3 to be on the safe side" is the right mode of thinking. I won't want SP0/SP1 bugs and problems across the entire department. Go SP3, then SP5, then repeat.
John Stoltzfus wrote:I be happily modeling and having fun, sitting in the shade, drinkin lemonade
John Stoltzfus wrote:
I be happily modeling and having fun, sitting in the shade, drinkin lemonade
Until you need to open an 2018-SP0.0 file in 6 months and the processor in your computer melts and the data is lost forever...
David, How did that 2017 SP3 work for you?
Hopefully wait. But it is not up to me.
So come on you cowards give it a try so I can see if there are any Problems.
Rick Becker - nah don't think that will happen, surely you seen all the comments about 2018 beta here on the forum, the best release ever...
Retrieving data ...