3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 11:23 AM by Paul Risley

Maybe a few of you might appreciate this. I was on the crew of a Harley Dragster.

Bernie Daraz

We did very well during the season. I welded some bars together as well as the wheelie bars and many machined parts. I also built the rollers that started all of the bikes at that meet, Englishtown NJ, 1993. Top Speed was about 150. That's me in the red sweatshirt.

frakie  MC.jpg

• Re: Maybe a few of you might appreciate this. I was on the crew of a Harley Dragster.
          Paul Risley

Go fast on 2 wheels? No interest here at all.

bikes.jpg

Red one was my track bike fastest I have ever gone was 136 on racetrack recorded speed. That was fast enough on 2 wheels for me, those corners come up fast at those kinds of speeds.

• Re: Maybe a few of you might appreciate this. I was on the crew of a Harley Dragster.
              Bernie Daraz

Cool Paul!

We actually won the championship that season. Before that I was a crew guy for some NASCAR modifieds and built three of them.

The pictures below show a Pinto built late 70's, a Chevette early 80's, no paint. We rolled it out for a picture late that night. The Mustang was the last car we built. A shame to admit we won only one heat race. At least it wasn't my money!

The Mustang was actually built for a local track, The Danbury Fair. The track is now gone and replaced by a mall and is still highly respected. Not many tracks can boast full stands and real action EVERY week. Add in the fights and food and you have a good picture.

The last 'thing' I built was a plane. Actually, I was only helping cutting and coping tubing and some light sheet metal but I heli-arced the whole thing. That rough looking fixture allowed me to climb in and out as I welded the joints, it was pretty neat. The guy that owned the plane took the 'pencil' drawings and made me CAD drawings using Ashlar Vellum on the Mac back then.

Me, I had a 427 Yenko Chevelle and two 70 Camaros. One Camaro was the split bumper and had an awesome 350 in it. The other was a stock 350. Now I just want a car that runs, just get in and drive.

Chevette 96.jpg96 Mustang.JPGBernie10.jpgBernie2.jpg96 pinto at Stafford.jpg96- Chevette-1.jpg

Paul Risley

That is cool stuff there. Yeah I am focusing more on getting stuff that just drives. I am getting to the point where I really don't like spending my weekends fixing vehicles anymore.I just got rid of my last snowmobile 2 years ago and I really do not miss working on them.

It's funny now I have the money to play with all of these toys and I find myself on a Saturday night in front of a firepit with a cooler full of beers. Oh well could be worse.Still go to the races once in awhile just to see some fast cars and occasionally we get up north for the bike races.

One bucket list item left, Isle of Mann TT, I want to go see the races and possibly transport a bike over for one more crazy ride.