1 2 3 4 5 149 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 10:13 AM by S. Casale Go to original post
      • 30. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
        Peter Kennedy

"I don't want the measuring tool units and precision to change when I change the units and precision of the document that is opened. What about the other document that are open that are different? Really, I don't want this to change at all an it be a system option. I always have the measuring tool set to dual units at 8 places. It is for measuring, not for detailing."

This is one big issue I have with the measuring tool as well.

• 31. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
          Jim Wilkinson

Michael Van Dorp wrote:

In terms of how I use the measure tool: most common would likely be comparing to a similar part when I am designing or modifying a separate one. So a lot of switching back and forth with measuring in both parts. It would be useful if when switching to a new part the measure tool kept the display of what was last measured or maybe a history option?

HI Michael,

There is a history option that keeps a history of all of the measurements in the current session (and indicates what document the measurement comes from). It is accessed via this button:history.png

Does this not have the functionality you are looking for?

Thanks,

Jim

• 32. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
            Glenn Schroeder

Peter Kennedy wrote:

"I don't want the measuring tool units and precision to change when I change the units and precision of the document that is opened. What about the other document that are open that are different? Really, I don't want this to change at all an it be a system option. I always have the measuring tool set to dual units at 8 places. It is for measuring, not for detailing."

That makes 3.  I mentioned that issue in  my post yesterday.

• 34. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
              Edward Poole

That's why I write them down on any handy piece of paper!

• 35. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                Jim Wilkinson

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Peter Kennedy wrote:

That makes 3. I mentioned that issue in my post yesterday.

Hi Andrew, Peter, and Glenn,

If you bring up the units dialog in the measure dialog via this button and you choose the "Use custom settings" option, it lets you set the units, precision, dual units, etc. at the measure tool level and that all IS stored at the system level, not the document level. So these settings will be used in the measure dialog across documents and across sessions.

units.png

Is this not what you are looking for? If not, can you please be more specific in what you want that this does not do?

Thanks,

Jim

• 36. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                  Jim Wilkinson

Mark Dougall wrote:

This is a great idea! Pinning certain measurements while you go off and make other measurements. You could have a spiderweb of measurements that stay open as Long as you don't Close the dialogue box for measure.

Hi Mark and Ed,

We don't have the ability to pin *certain* measurements, but there is a history of all the measurements taken during the current session of SOLIDWORKS under the history button here:

history.png

Does this help your particular needs?

Thanks,

Jim

• 37. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                    Glenn Schroeder

Jim,

Mine is set to Custom.  Of course I can't get it to display wrong now, but I haven't changed that setting in forever, and I distinctly remember the Measure function changing just a few days ago.  If it happens again I'll try to investigate further.

Glenn

• 38. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                      Andrew Terry

This is incorrect sir. Even when "Use Custom Settings" is clicked (I always have it clicked) if I change the units and/or precision of the current document it changes the first length unit of the measurement to the same settings as the open document. Every time. As far back as I can remember.

• 39. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                        Tony Tieuli

Jim,

With apologies. (Because there is no way I want to give the impression that I know more about any part Solidworks than you!)

That's exactly the way I have my measure tool set up. For the most part it works the way you say it should across documents and sessions but every once in a while, maybe once a week or so, it will change so that both parts of the "use dual units" setting are either mm or Inches.

Is there something I might be inadvertently doing that makes that happen?

• 40. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                          Paul Risley

I have to concur with others on this one, I have varying dimensional templates from .00001" to .02" and I have seen the measure tool erratically shift it's tolerance to match that of the document even though I have it set not to do that.

Primarily when using it on a deck or some outdoor structure assembly, while I want the precision of the model at .02 for fractional sakes I want to know did I key in 3/8 or some arbitrary number that got me to .38.

• 41. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                            Edward Poole

Thanks Jim Wilkinson! I never noticed that, you'll be saving me a lot of scrap paper!

• 42. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                              Jim Wilkinson

JOHN GEORGE wrote:

I use the measure tool very often and sometime if I pick 2 faces, instead of the dimension value, it shows "these faces are parallel"

My question: is it possible to get the measure value continuously without deleting the the second selection

Hi John,

If I understand your question correctly, your goal is to get the measurement off the first face and when you select the second face, your intent is not to ADD that second face to the selections and measure between the two, but rather to measure the second face (and have the first face removed from the selection). Is that correct?

If so, the reason why it works as it does now is that the measure tool allows measurements of 1 to many selections (if you select 2 faces, it gives the distance, angle, parallelism, total area, etc., if you pick 3 faces, it gives the total area, if you pick multiple edges, it gives the total length of all edges). The easiest way to get what you want currently is after you pick the first face, just pick a blank space in the graphics area and it will clear the selections, then pick your second one and it will measure just that face.

Also note that for many single selections, we put the measurements in the status bar when the Measure command isn't even running. This is not true for faces however due to the performance implications of making the calculations when selecting faces. This would slow down the system during normal selection usage so we only do it for calculations that are very quick.

Thanks,

Jim

• 43. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                                Jim Wilkinson

Hi Andrew,

OK, thanks for the clarification...I have verified by testing it that if you change the units and/or precision of the document, it does indeed apply that unit/precision to the custom settings. This is a bug and shouldn't be happening and is logged as SPR# 477775. If you have not already, I would suggest reporting it to your reseller so it can be logged against your name or vote for it by searching for it in the Knowledge Base. This link may take you there:

https://customerportal.solidworks.com/eservice_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=InvokeMethod&SWEMethod=GotoRecord&SWEService=SWGotoR…

Tony, Glenn, and Peter, if you can confirm this is the behavior that you are seeing please also make sure you log it as a problem for you so we get more "votes" on it.

If anyone sees behavior that is changing units/precision unexpectedly other than this, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks,

Jim

• 44. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                                  JOHN GEORGE

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my suggestion in detail

When I pick face 1, it shows the details

Measure-1.png

Now continue to select Face 2, It shows all the dimensions

Measure-2.png

Now if I want the dimension from Face 1 to Face 3, I need to de-select Face 2 and then select Face 3

Is it possible to continue selecting Face 3, then Face 4.....to show the dimensions from Face 1 (without and extra de-selection).

Measure-3.png

To have an option for continuous measurement (the first selection is permanent and subsequent selections with one click)

Hope this makes sense..

1 2 3 4 5