1 2 3 4 149 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 10:13 AM by S. Casale Go to original post
      • 15. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
        Arthur McRae

Nimisha Nath wrote:

Hi everyone!

Do you use the Measure Tool in SOLIDWORKS? If yes, I want to gather a little input on the tool from you.

Can you please share some information on few queries below:

1. How and when do you usually use the Measure Tool?  I use in both Assemblies and Parts.
        2. What is the most common scenario to use the Measure Tool?  Confirming plate edge to hole edge is more than plate thickness
        3. Would you prefer to use the Measure Tool while executing a command?  Hole wizard.
        4.   If yes:
          1. Please share few cases when you felt the need to launch the Measure Tool in the middle of a command execution  When propagating holes from an assembly down to a part I need to confirm alignment and tolerance especially if the main tolerance from one part runs perpendicular to the tolerance to the assembly tolerance, manufacturing processes.
          2. Would you use it in Parts/Assemblies/Drawings?  The only place I don't use it is in drawings, by the time I'm at a drawing I have confirmed that all the dimensions are correct and all I do is document at that point.
        5. What do you do with the copied dimensions/values from the Measure Tool?   I am generally using the min or max function on holes so the dimensions I receive out of the measure tool has to be "converted" to a change at center with is often half of the difference of the spec

Please feel free to share any more information about the usage of Measure Tool.   I would find it handy if there was a built in calculator function as part of the measure tool, allowing you to subtract, multiply add your results of the measure tool, then the copy function would be handy, as it stands I take my measure result run it through it's paces in the calculator app then input those numbers.

Thanks,

Nimisha

Just my thoughts

• 16. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
          S. Casale

Arthur McRae wrote:

Nimisha Nath wrote:

'I would find it handy if there was a built in calculator function as part of the measure tool..."

I worry that a calculator, that is already built into almost every computer, being added to SolidWorks would be just another software that could cause long loads or bugs in the software.

• 17. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
            Arthur McRae

I do agree but if it was built into the measure tool so that you use that as an input would save me from PEBKAC issues.

• 18. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
              Dan Pihlaja

Arthur McRae  wrote:

I do agree but if it was built into the measure tool so that you use that as an input would save me from PEBKAC issues.

Did you know that you can use measurements to define Global Variables?

Then you can use that Global Variable in a calculation either directly in your dimension box, or as a calculation in another global variable.

• 19. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                Arthur McRae

I am aware of that Dan Pihlaja  but when the holes are based in a part and you are measuring in the assembly to another part to check that the holes are far enough from the edge to avoid structural deterioration when you open that part alone afterwards outside of that assembly....   well let's just say things break and it isn't pretty.   I may have been down that road

• 20. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                  Dan Pihlaja

You are correct there.   I guess I should have added "in a single file"

One question:  What does PEBKAC mean?

• 21. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                    Chris Saller

I too use it all the time.

I would like to see it change to where it can be used at anytime, also in the middle of another command.

• 22. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                      Arthur McRae

PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

aka: Arthur typed something in wrong.... again.

• 23. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                        JOHN GEORGE

I use the measure tool very often and sometime if I pick 2 faces, instead of the dimension value, it shows "these faces are parallel"

My question: is it possible to get the measure value continuously without deleting the the second selection

• 24. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                          Ned Hutchinson

I use the measure tool everyday,

it is assigned to mouse gestures shortcut down in parts and assemblys.

For the most part it works great.

One big problem,

doesn't work properly in Large design review?

ScreenShot_20170919090947.png

also doesn't work on a graphic section view, sometimes you want a quick section view and you get this

ScreenShot_20170919090143.png

so you make a graphic section and try to measure and you get this

ScreenShot_20170919090300.png

• 25. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                            Joel Lesher

I use measure tool on a daily if not hourly basis. Like was said in an earlier post, I doubt you would do much serious work without it. In fact I use it so frequently that I assigned a keyboard shortcut (m) to it.

I have wished sometimes that measure was availible for use in commands, especially hole wizard. I have also been flustrated when I have forgotten to close the measure tool and then switched to another open file.

Michael Van Dorp's suggestion of having the open command reactivate measure is excellant and would help out a lot with work-flow. The dimension dialog box at the bottom of the screen is also helpful for some quick basic numbers.

• 26. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                              Mark Dougall

This is a great idea! Pinning certain measurements while you go off and make other measurements. You could have a spiderweb of measurements that stay open as Long as you don't Close the dialogue box for measure.

• 27. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                                Jody Holm

That only works because it is just one feature/body. If the there were another feature, say a larger base, below the tombstone, you could not measure from the bottom of the base to the top of the arc. The flat shouldn't even need to be connected to the tombstone for that matter.

• 28. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                                  Tony Tieuli

All very true.

I only did the single feature tombstone because that's the example you gave.

Just trying to help.

• 29. Re: If you use the Measure Tool.. how do you use it?
                                    Andrew Terry
                                    • How and when do you usually use the Measure Tool? - Often and every time I need a measurement.
                                    • What is the most common scenario to use the Measure Tool? - Every scenario where I need a measurement. Parts, assemblies, sketches, drawings
                                    • Would you prefer to use the Measure Tool while executing a command? - Every command, especially hole wizard
                                    • If yes:
                                      1. Please share few cases when you felt the need to launch the Measure Tool in the middle of a command execution - Hole wizard
                                      2. Would you use it in Parts/Assemblies/Drawings? - Yes, every where.
                                    • What do you do with the copied dimensions/values from the Measure Tool? Input them into dimensions, equations, calculations, emails, documents.

I use the measuring tool everyday.

I wish I could use the measuring tool in the hole wizard command, especially when placing the positions.

I want to be able to measure between sketch lines and object lines in drawings.

I don't want the measuring tool units and precision to change when I change the units and precision of the document that is opened. What about the other document that are open that are different? Really, I don't want this to change at all an it be a system option. I always have the measuring tool set to dual units at 8 places. It is for measuring, not for detailing.

For some reason, you cannot select the number in the graphics view when measuring a center distance. You must go to the dialog box to copy the number. I think this is operation specific.

When measuring between surfaces I want the nearest point, imaginary or not, to measure to. Often I have to create a sketch, convert edges or entities, add sketch lines as tangents, and then take my measurement.

As a note, I have my measuring tool hot-keyed to 'Q'. I change it on every computer I sit down at. Now my whole company has that hotkey.

A cool feature would be, that, the last measurement take would be the number that is inputted into the feature/dimension/pattern being created.

1 2 3 4