18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 12:43 AM by Hardik Patel

SW seems to be stuck in filter selection mode

Judy Wilson

This is happening in some of my assemblies.

the cursor acts as if a set of selection filters are set on, but if you look at the selection filter toolbar they do not seem to be selected.

in particular the dimension and face selection are always coming up. This is also accompanied by very slow movement of the assembly.

Have I just hit a set of buttons in the wrong order?

selection filter issue.JPG

Does it matter that this filter icon appears in the feature tree?

• Re: SW seems to be stuck in filter selection mode
          Dennis Bacon

I'm pretty sure I know what you are getting at Judy. I'm also sure there is a hot key to clear the filters but can't think of what that is at the moment. But,, if you right click in the work area you will get a shortcut menu where you can select the filter icon dropdown and then Clear All Filters.

Edit:... It the F5 key that will toggle the selection toolbar and from that you can clear your filters also. There are hotkeys that will enable a certain filter and if you accidentally hit one it puts you in that filter mode. Many years ago I did that when I was taking a job interview test and I couldn't remember how to clear it. It was horrible.. Started to panic. Finally figured it out and ended up acing the test.

Judy Wilson

It is not a matter of toggling the filters on/off

The clear all filters button is greyed out.

Even when hovering over the task pane a dimension symbol may appear for a few seconds and then disappear.

Dennis Bacon

I figured my first answer was probably pretty lame especially after reading you question over again. This time I actually downloaded the files. Seem to be missing one but am still able to replicate what you have experienced. Bizarre. What I did is open each part individually and in annotations  (from the annotations folder) right clicked and unchecked "Display Annotations". When I went back into the assy everything seemed to function as normal. Saved my file then reopened and everything was still good.

Judy Wilson

tried that, and the file does function much better.

I still have the image beside the cursor changing as I mouse over. Will check again and see if I missed one.

I think this comes from the fact that my individual parts display the dim and features show I can quickly open and change their size. So all the annotations are on.

However, this is definite progress

Thanks

I left off some of the smaller wall pads from the assembly

Do not have winzip on my computer to grab everything quick

Dennis Bacon

FYI,,, if you use Pack & Go it will collect all the related parts and zip them. You can do this from your open assembly. Just something to look into for future assemblies you may want to use for transferring files. It's quick and effective.

I'm quite confident that if you go thru each part turn off the annotations display things will work out in your assembly. You can imagine that since you have some of the parts duplicated several times that there is alot of information to process.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Judy,

You are right that this appears to be related to the dimensions displayed at the part level. Theoretically, they should all be visible at the assembly level but they are not for some reason; I'm going to look into that. If they were visible as they should be, it would be very obvious what is happening.

If you go to the Annotations folder in your FeatureManager tree, select Details from the right mouse button, and then check "Use assembly settings for all components" and uncheck "Show feature dimensions", then the problem should go away. Please confirm that it does. The first setting says to override the annotation visibility settings at the component level and use the settings from the assembly dialog. The second setting turns off the feature dimensions (in this case, hiding them if they are shown at the component level).

Again, there is an issue with the actual visibility of them showing on the screen, but the behavior of selection is as if they are visible based on the Annotation settings.

Let me know if this helps to overcome the issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Dave Bear

Hi Jim,

Can that filter bar be removed from being at the head of the Feature Tree altogether in both Part and Assembly modes? My memory isn't what it once was and now that I get to thinking about this thread I can't really be sure whether or not it has always been there as it is now SW2016 SP3.

Dave.

Tom Gagnon

Jim, this answer solved a problem I had neither understood nor reported, and I believe is separate from the OP's issue. Thank you!

I had a handful of components downloaded from McMaster-Carr, all of which were Quick Connect fittings, and whenever they appeared in an assembly, they showed their feature dimension annotations. It was annoying to design around and to share views printed for auxiliary reference in production. We've just been ignoring it, because they did not appear in the resultant drawings, and we did not know how to turn it off. Now that you shared the details in your post, we now know how to remove them from view in the component itself, as well as within the assembly. We're removing them from the component saved in the design library so that we should not have to handle it again in each assembly they are used in.

Judy Wilson

perhaps this was my better question to start with

When does the selection icon show beside the cursor?

Is this a normal behaviour , i.e. what settings are used to control this.

IMG_20170918_104838.jpgIMG_20170918_104853.jpg

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Judy,

The cursor shows the "widget" for whatever type of entity you are over so it is clear as to what is currently under the mouse; it is not a filter icon. There is no control for this; i.e. it can't be turned off. I think the problem that you are facing is not that the cursor is showing up, but that the dimensions that are functionally there on the screen and causing the cursor to change are not actually visible (which appears to be a bug). Can you confirm that following my reply above from Sep 16 at 6:34 am solves the issue?

Thanks,

Jim

Judy Wilson

this does deal with the issue.

so essentially, the cursor was acting as if hundreds of dimensions lines were being seen and trying to act on all of them. end result a very slow ability to move anything on screen

while the graphics window of the assembly did not show these dimensions because most reasonable people would not want these cluttering up the screen. Acting as if the assembly setting was on, when in fact it was not.

Checking the setting makes the system behave properly.

Thanks

Marty Laury

When I type a model name in that box next to the funnel, it finds every instance of it in the design tree.  I use it in large assemblies. I found it by accident. It's handy.

Marty

Hardik Patel

Hello,

Actually a filter get activated I guess, when it shows filter option near your cursor. I too face this issue. But the simple solution is just "press F5" and at the bottom left corner you will get filter toolbar pop up. Just uncheck that filter option. See the attached photo.

SE Filter.png

Hardik