2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 5:16 PM by Ryan Haugen

Routing: "tight" pipe fittings

Ryan Haugen

I'm new to the Solidworks routing, and am using the 2013 version.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to place tight  pipe fittings (female elbows and tees) along my route. The only way I've gotten it to work so far is by:

1. Placing the fitting at the end of the route. (The fitting is an imported Spears elbow that I've modified by adding RPOINT and CPOINTS to.)

2. Constraining the sketch to the fitting and mating the two fitting faces (usually results in constraint errors in the sketch)

3. I'll then dimension the route line between the fittings (the unseen  pipe "stub" between the two female sockets)

4. Then I'll delete the mate and set the fitting back to be "sketch driven"

This seems like a VERY roundabout way to butt two fittings together. I feel like I'm missing something simple. I could just dimension the "stub" every time, but it's not usually a friendly measurement and has to be figured and calculated (as the RPOINTs that are being measured are typically in the middle of the fitting).

I've searched forums and watched several routing tutorials without finding the answer. If anybody has a better way or can point me towards a resource that can explain it better, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Routing: "tight" pipe fittings
          Peter De Vlieger

Ryan,

In case you are still figuring it out

1. put the Rpoint at the convergent point

and the Cpoints at the end of the legs, or where the pipe has to start if it's a socket system that you need

2. either draw the right angle after which the program will ask you what bend/elbow you want to use after which you can select the elbow you want or put the elbow on the end of the pipe and then draw a pipe on the other leg of the elbow, rinse and repeat for the next elbow

3. go in edit route mode (RMB on the route sketch)

4. do another RMB on the sketch so you get this

by using this function you automatically shorten the pipe between two fittings so they are for all intents and purposes are back to back,

it does this by shorten the pipe to something like 0.002, which is a length that the program ignores in BOM and such.

Hope this helps

Peter

• Re: Routing: "tight" pipe fittings
              Ryan Haugen

Thanks for the quick response!

It didn't work quite as expected:

q_demo3.jpgq_demo4.jpg

The fittings are overlapping. By the looks it's basically "merging" the two connection points.  I suppose the obvious solution would be to move my connection points to the face of the fitting, as opposed to where the pipe actually ends inside the socket.

However, this method works FANTASTIC for male to female fittings (which was another question mark I had):q_demo1.jpg

q_demo2.jpg

Thanks again. The "remove pipe" function is good to be familiar with.