6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 5:51 AM by Matthew Theakstone

Considering an upgrade

Matthew Theakstone

Hi there,

I have been pondering over buying solidworks. My current Hp envy used to run solidworks 2013 very well for my needs however this was just a trial version. The laptop has the following specs:

CPU: A10 5750M  (2.5ghz)

Gpu: AMD radeon HD 8650G and HD 7670M dual graphics.

I expect to use sheet metal and be using single parts (for plasma cutting) or very small assemblies (less than 100 parts), I may use FEA though this depends more upon whether i want to invest in solidworks professional at this time or not.

I have been looking at buying a

HP Pavilion 24-b212na 23.8" Touchscreen All-in-One PC

this has an integrated r7 graphics card, AMD A12 9730 CPU 2.8Ghz (3.5 turbo). 2mb cache

or

HP Pavilion 24-b209na 23.8" All-in-One PC

this has an amd radeon r5 graphics card, AMD A9 9410 CPU 2.9Ghz (3.5 turbo). 1mb cache

i am aware that solidworks certified graphics cards are better (firepro etc) however i have been looking and i can easily spend an extra £500 to get this sort of spec.

these could be possibilities if people think this is a very good alternative/benefit.

precision m5510

precision m3510

I wouldn't think of upgrading however this laptop is currently becoming alot slower than before especially when turning on and is having some heating issues so i am losing trust in it.

I know these posts can  be annoying but i'm not fully tech savvy to spend this money without having other peoples opinions.

Many thanks,

Matt

• Re: Considering an upgrade
          Peter Farnham

Hi Matt,

Just so you don't get caught out:-

1, FEA, in the professional version only works on parts, not assemblies and is very, very, basic.

2, FEA, in the premium version works on parts and assemblies, but not on pressure vessels, that's more money for another version!

3, FEA requires a fast processor unless you can wait hours for the results.

You can get away with a non certified graphics card, but it is hit and miss.

Also Solidworks support will blame the lack of a certified card for every problem you may encounter, believe me, I have been there!

I have used the Dell precision range since I first started in 2003 and never had a problem apart from weight.

Now I have the Dell precision 7710 which is light and very fast.

You could try on you current laptop to clean the fans out and re- paste the heat sink on.

It depends on your skill level.

Regards

Pete

Matthew Theakstone

ah, thankyou it was my mistake, i did mean premium, however its been a while since i had researched it.

I have now decided to bite the bullet and get a desktop with a quadro card in it, laptops are so expensive and atleast with a desktop i could potentially upgrade/replace in the future.

I can get a dell precision T620, configured so it comes with an i5-7500 (3.5ghz) with a quadro p600 and 8gb ram.

(This is pretty much the same as a 5000 series yet £600 cheaper which is confusing.)

I i can go elsewhere get the same spec machine but with a quadro 620k gpu. My question is is there any difference between these two cards, i've researched them and they look to be the same except the p series is newer.is this an important factor for solidworks or should i trust the old reliable k series more than the newer p series card?

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Mowry

Matthew, you might even consider building your own.  I just did that myself in early summer and I love the machine's performance, particularly putting eight threads at 4GHz to the task of rendering something for the price I ended up paying for everything.  Was quite a bargain (specs are in my profile, though you'll likely not want to build a Windows 7 system as I did).

The all-in-one systems will likely not allow you to do much to correct graphics problems by inserting your own graphics card.  That's one of the nice aspects about keeping a desktop around.  The other is that adding an extra monitor is cheap and can really help productivity.

Matthew Theakstone

new specs:

Intel Core i5-7500 (3.4GHz) Socket 1151 Quad-Core

Processor

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler

Gigabyte B250M-DS3H Socket 1151 MicroATX Motherboard

HyperX FURY Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory Kit

2400MHzDDR4 Non-ECC CL15 288-pin DIMM 1.2V

Unbuffered

ADATA Ultimate SU800 (128GB) 2.5 inch SATA III Solid

State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (7200rpm) SATA 6Gb/s

64MB 3.5 inch Hard

CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive

D-Link DWA-582 Wireless AC1200 Dual-Band PCIe Network

Adaptor

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 (650w) 80 Plus Gold Modular

ATX Power Supply

Cooler Master Silencio 352 Mid Tower Chassis Matte(Black)

CCL3OS - 3 year Onsite Warranty

PNY NVIDIA Quadro P600 - Graphics card - Quadro P600 - 2

GB GDDR5 - PCIe

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit DVD (OEM)

similar to my specified box, though you have a quicker processor. I would consider building my own but time is not on my side and have no experience of computer parts at all. I think you're right about the all in one pc, it does limit the upgrades/alterations i can do in the future.