Please report this to your VAR and have them report this to SOLIDWORKS Tech Support. We have seen a number of customers run into issues related to custom add-ins compiled in .NET 2.0 after an update from McAfee. The common system is freezing/hanging of Windows Explorer after a right-click or selecting the PDM menus. The workarounds are to remove the add-in(s) or re-compile them to .NET 3.5 or 4. Also, contact McAfee about this, they may have an update to resolve this.
SOLIDWORKS PDM Tech Support
Thanks for the info. I did a test by creating a test vault without the custom addins (document number generators) in question and this works. The two addins in question are provided by our VAR (SolidSolutions AG) and i have contacted them regarding the issue and if they have updated versions of these addins. What is a bit bizzare is we have two computers where the EPDM system works fine with the new McAfee update and same software configuration and on two it does not.
Thank you for the update. You can ask your VAR to simply re-compile the add-ins in .NET 4 and it should resolve the issue. We still haven't ruled out that an update by Microsoft could also be causing this (Windows or Office). We have heard that some clients are not showing the symptoms. We're not sure if an update caused an issue with the install of .NET 2.0 which is causing this. One customer resolved it by re-installing .NET Framework and another has re-installed Office. McAfee is also involved and it seems to have started after they rolled out an update in mid-August. We are still trying to determine the exact cause and how customers are resolving it, so any information from you or other customers that are reading this will help us get the word out.
I just tried reinstalling the .NET Framework 3.5/2.0 in Windows 10 but that did not seem to work. What I also tried was having the .net framework 3.5/2.0 removed and then when i open the pdm explorer I get the menus and can open files after clearing away error popups (with the path to the addin dll that causes the problem displayed in the popup). I then reinstalled .net framework but the problem appears again.