4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 9:48 AM by Nitish Jha

Solidworks 2017 EPDM and McAfee Enterprise

Nitish Jha

We are facing issues with the Solidworks 2017 EPDM SP 3.0 and McAfee Host Intrusion Protection 8.0 system. The user is able to login into the pdm but the moment he tries opening a file the "Getting Latest Version" window appears and hangs. Disabling McAfee Host Intrusion Protection fixes the issue. We have tried adding EDMServer to the  exception list but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I wanted to know if anyone else is running McAfee enterprise and if there is workaround ?

Host information: Windows 10 x64

Solidworks 2017 SP3.0

EPDM 2017

• Re: Solidworks 2017 EPDM and McAfee Enterprise
          Kevin Crawford

Nitish,

Please report this to your VAR and have them report this to SOLIDWORKS Tech Support.  We have seen a number of customers run into issues related to custom add-ins compiled in .NET 2.0 after an update from McAfee.  The common system is freezing/hanging of Windows Explorer after a right-click or selecting the PDM menus.  The workarounds are to remove the add-in(s) or re-compile them to .NET 3.5 or 4.  Also, contact McAfee about this, they may have an update to resolve this.

Thank you,

Kevin Crawford

SOLIDWORKS PDM Tech Support

Nitish Jha

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I did a test by creating a test vault without the custom addins (document number generators) in question and this works. The two addins in question are provided by our VAR (SolidSolutions AG) and i have contacted them regarding the issue and if they have updated versions of these addins. What is a bit bizzare is we have two computers  where the EPDM system works fine with the new McAfee update and same software configuration and on two it does not.  

Kevin Crawford

Nitish,

Thank you for the update.  You can ask your VAR to simply re-compile the add-ins in .NET 4 and it should resolve the issue.  We still haven't ruled out that an update by Microsoft could also be causing this (Windows or Office).  We have heard that some clients are not showing the symptoms.  We're not sure if an update caused an issue with the install of .NET 2.0 which is causing this.  One customer resolved it by re-installing .NET Framework and another has re-installed Office.  McAfee is also involved and it seems to have started after they rolled out an update in mid-August.  We are still trying to determine the exact cause and how customers are resolving it, so any information from you or other customers that are reading this will help us get the word out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Nitish Jha

Kevin,

I just tried reinstalling the .NET Framework 3.5/2.0 in Windows 10 but that did not seem to work. What I also tried was having the .net framework 3.5/2.0 removed and then when i open the pdm explorer I get the menus and can open files after clearing away error popups (with the path to the addin dll that causes the problem displayed in the popup). I then reinstalled .net framework but the problem appears again.

Regards,

Nitish