4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 10:00 PM by Austin Shirley

PDM workgroup install difficulties

Austin Shirley

We are a student engineering group that has used PDM workgroup for several years and for the most part it has worked very well. The PDM is on a server that we maintain and during the update to SW 2017 we ran into trouble. In the solidworks installer we selected the upgrade option as we have PDM 2016 SP2.0 installed already. It then gave Error_1. The solidworks install on individual PC's worked perfectly so we know that the serial number we have works, which makes error_1 confusing. We pressed the back button and re entered the serial number and then pressed next with no problems. On the summary tab it said we could only install not download the file and would need a DVD(which we don't have) to finish the install. When we press install it gave error_2 and would not let us proceed any further.

Any help resolving this would be very much appreciated! Let me know if you need more detail or have any questions

• Re: PDM workgroup install difficulties
          Ryan Dark

Hi Austin,

It looks like you may need to first do a full download of the software.  To do this you would need to go to one of the clients which had not trouble downloading the update, start the SolidWorks Installation Manager, and at the first screen select the option for "Download and Share all files" (shown below) before proceeding through the installation manager. This will download a comprehensive set of installation source files and once the download is complete you move that entire file set over to your server to run the installation there.

Austin Shirley

Thanks Ryan that got the install going. I wonder if you could help me with the my next issue? After transfering the files to the server and starting the instal process it stalled at 99% and has now been there for over 24hours. If I try to cancel the process it tells me "It is unsafe to do so at this point" and won't let me do it. Is this normal, what happens if I do cancel the process by closing the instal window?

Ryan Dark

It is extraordinary that an install for any of the SOLIDWORKS components would take more than 1 hour.  24 hours is way beyond that.  Do you have any kind of antivirus software using "Real Time Protection" on this machine?  Did you make a backup of the VaultData folder before beginning this install?

I don't know what stopping the installation will do at this point but I suspect nefarious things to the vault data.  If you made a backup this isn't a big deal and I would just stop it and try again.  If you don't have a backup I don't know what you will do exactly since its your data and you could potentially lose some or all of it.