10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 7:27 AM by Ales Svoboda

How do I turn off auto get latest in Solidworks PDM

Mo Jo

Background: Our company works on pretty complex assemblies (5000+ parts) with several teams working on subassemblies and parts that belong in the master assembly. We are transitioning from Workgroup PDM to Solidworks PDM. Almost all the parts and assemblies are checked out by other users.

Question: In workgroup I typically would download the master assembly (that is checked out to another user) to my local folder, add my parts/assemblies that I am designing and modify the master assembly as needed, then saving my changes to my local folder. I would be able to track my changes manually and "get latest" to the master assembly or other assemblies or parts that are pertinent to my design. I would save my changes locally and update the master assembly when I am close to completion or whether I want to "reset" all the changes that I made when I download the latest files. With Solidworks PDM the local view and vault view are the same. I can't save the changes to the master assembly because it is checked out to our others so PDM won't let me. The workaround that I use so far is that I work offline to make the changes that I want but that seems counter intuitive. Any changes that I make are sometimes written over because PDM gets latest version automatically. Should I be changing my design process completely or is there a way to turn off get latest? I'd like to control when my local vault updates itself.

• Re: How do I turn off auto get latest in Solidworks PDM
          Andreas Rhomberg

PDM does not automatically "get latest" you have to tell it to do so.

when does this happen? during check out ?

also, see active post for some info

Get Latest Subassembly Overwrites Main Assembly

Mo Jo

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the reference. Just to clarify, I'm talking about making changes to a file that someone else has checked out. But making those changes in my local folder and saving it that way.

I did that last week and when I tried to reopen the master assembly from explorer there was a window that said "downloading latest from vault", and it overwrote my local file. In Workgroup I can download a copy from the vault of a part/assy that is checked out to someone else, make as many changes as I want and save as much as I want. I would reload the version from the vault whenever I would need to.

Andreas Rhomberg

You can make changes to the local copy. In order to update your changes to the Vault, the file needs to be checked in first by the other user, then you check it out but make sure that the files newer on your local are unchecked in the "Get" Column. if this is checked, it will get the latest from the Vault and replace the local version.

Mo Jo

So I noticed the way to make changes to an file that is checked out to another user is by unchecking "read only" in the properties of the file. Only then would you be able to save the changes locally to your hard drive. However I worked on some files last week and was able to open them in the vault the same day with my changes saved. Today however when I opened the file, I right clicked the file and hit open and a window opened saying: getting latest and it automatically started over writing my local file.

Andreas Rhomberg

The "read only" has no effect, it will be checked by default next time you look at it.

the only way you can override the checked in file is by checking it out.

like I mentioned earlier, during this process "get" can not be checked. this will take your latest version checked in and copy it to your local Vault overriding the "newest file"

Check in all your part files, do it one file at a time if you have to.

Then check out the Assy file in question, make sure "get" is unchecked and now check in the Assy.

Mo Jo

Thanks Andreas. I'm not sure if you're understanding what I'm trying to do. I don't care to check out the files that others are working on, or saving over their changes to the vault. I just want to make temporary changes in my personal folder that I can personally keep track of.

For example:

Let's say there's a part that I want to do FEA on that is owned by another Engineer or Designer. So I download the latest version, use split line to split the surfaces so I can apply the correct loads. The part is checked out by someone else (and it should remain so because I don't want to bother every person with an email phonecall through vault or however to check it in and then I check it out etc.) Now the part has the split feature in it. I do my analysis work on other stuff and I'd like to save the file so that the next day I can come back and continue my work if I have to. The part shouldn't have the split faces in it (because that's a feature only for analysis) and we do not want split faces in our parts. Up until last week I would download the part, rename it and store it away from the vault. Or work offline. And that doesn't seem right to me.

So far I've been able to uncheck read only and make my changes. Last week it worked great. This week when I double clicked the file in explorer it got it automatically from vault. How can I prevent that from happening.

Newell Voss

as long as you are assigning a new unique name and or file location you should not have any issue. try opening from solidworks, it will prompt you to "select version from vault/ or select version from new location" it does this because the assembly/file still wants to point to the original location for some reason. otherwise in your PDM search, use the view history selection and select the desired rev/version you want to work with and overwrite if necessary.