3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 3:13 PM by Andy Sanders

Should I Upgrade my Computer?

Logan Atkins

I'm contemplating an upgrade and i was curious of what you guys think of my computer specs. Do you think i would benefit from a newer system? I mostly work with large multi-sheet drawings, assemblies with ~1000 parts, and do assembly fea (usually static studies with some contacts and transient thermal studies with 100-500 parts). Overall i am just wanting to reduce wait times and improve the mesh accuracy during fea.

My current computer specs:

Model: Precision T3500

Hard Drive:  wd3000hlfs

Processor: Xeon W3530 @ 2.8GHz

RAM: 10Gb total, DDR3-5x2Gb, 2 sticks are M391B5773CH0-CH9 1333MHz, 1 stick is 18JSF25672AY-1G4D1 1333MHz, and the other 2 sticks are CT25664BA160B 1600Mhz

GPU: quadro 4000 (which is an upgrade i had to request, old card was quadro FX 4500)

what i'm currently looking at:

Model: Precision Mini Tower

Hard Drive: M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

Processor: i7-6700k @ 4Ghz

RAM: 16GB (2X8GB) 2400MHz DDR4

GPU: keeping the quadro 4000

Thanks!

• Re: Should I Upgrade my Computer?
          Craig Schultz

Between the faster processor and SSD, you'll see a big improvement.  Get as much RAM as you can afford.

Jeff Mowry

I recently built my own system, keeping the graphics card from my old one.  Very similar specifications, but with not having to purchase a new graphics card (FirePro W5100) the rebuild cost only $1,300 or so.  Premium stuff, too, including two Samsung 500GB SSDs (I think I already had one of those on hand), excellent power supply, and an 8-core 4GHz chip.  I was also able to stick with Windows 7 Pro instead of pushing into Windows 10 (I'd like to delay that jump as long as I can for many, many reasons) with the hardware I chose.

Rendering, for instance, is about twice as fast as with my older T5500 Dell with six cores.  Really amazing.

Andy Sanders

An SSD was one of the biggest upgrades we ever made, followed closely by going from 8 gig of ram to 16.

I have to do the installs at our company for all CAD and edrawings (shop/sales) pcs.  I'd kill for them to install a small SSD on all the machines without one...