5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 5:08 AM by Alexander Smith

Doubled Up GPUs

Alexander Smith

Ok, this may come across as a really stupid question.

I bought the following system a few months ago. I'm re-rendering a very complex interior scene and it is stretching my system quite a lot. I'm realising that if I come to do renders of similar complexity for clients under time constraints my system is going to struggle because the renders are taking between 18 and 27 hours per shot.

What I'm interested to know is, if I invest in another P5000 card what will happen to my in-app experience, 'resing-up' and my output times. I read Brian Hillner say in another post that once you stack you won't look back, I assume that its because the performance increase is so much, but before I invest again I'd like to check with you brainy people what I should expect!

As a benchmark here are the specs of the renders I'm doing now.

A3 - @ 300 dpi, 4961 x 3508 pixels, 5000 passes.

My system spec' is:-

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

PNY QUADRO P5000 16GB GDDR5, 2560 CUDA CORES - 4 x DP, 1 x DVI-D

Power supply and motherboard are all spec'd to future-proof against such expansion so thats fine.

Thanks.

• Re: Doubled Up GPUs
          Chris Cunningham

How many polygons are in your scene? Are you reflecting the models on the floor or running shadows?

Alexander Smith

Hi Chris

25million Polygons. Well within the 80million that the 16gb GPU will handle. There are many mirrored surfaces and lights so the lights and they shadows are being reflected a lot. So models are being reflected, shadows are but Im not reflecting on the floor as it is an interior scene so I have modelled the building and then populated it.

Chris Cunningham

I think Ron or Brian will be able to help better with this one.

One thought is to send project to Queue and completely exit out of Visualize and all other software. I have accidentally left Visualize open in accurate mode while Queue is running, splitting my GPU resources on project and render increasing the final render time.

The only other thing I can think of is splitting your project in half, render them separate then combine in Photoshop.

Helge Feddersen

Alexander,

i had various cinfigurations running stable.

p4000 & GTX1070 in one system

atm i have a gtx1080ti and the gtx 1070 in one system as a render server. With the p4000 in my productive system. Just ordered another 1080ti To put into the render server.

the rendering scales with the amount of GPU cards you have in a system. Also google for pugetsystems. Thy have done investigations on how visualize scales with GPUs

also make sure in your settings not to have the SWX imgae quality in the document propertys too high (also results in a higher poly count). This may reduce render performance. I had a couple of cases were old files had a too high setting and that defaulted rendering to CPU in my worst case or reduced render performance on GPU to about 50% load in other cases.

i always double check the GPU performance with GPU-Z to make sure i get the most out of the system.

Br