The SLDPRT files are relatively easy. (This was the reason for researching my 'hack' in the first place.) You can extract the part files one at a time from WGPDM and then individually Check Out / Check In / Transition them to capture the updates. It's a mind-numbing process, but it's doable. Part drawings were similar, but the file references will still point to the original location. If that file isn't there then the "Search Path Order" starts. This seemed generally successful in finding the correct parts, but Version numbers got a little mixed up. (That might have been the result of my being a newbie to PDM Standard at the time.) Assemblies were much harder for me and I ended up manually going through the file references. I also ended up adding a number of folders to my "Referenced Documents" path to help speed things up. (I think I'll be able to remove those references once all of the assemblies have been 'touched' once and the file references get set to be within the vault.)
Thanks, that was what I was thinking.
Actually I'm thinking to check in the assemblies first, and include their parts at that stage - then I hope to find the links to the same parts, from other assemblies already in the PDM standard vault, survive.
From my brief experiment so far that seems to be the case.