2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 9:43 AM by Gordon Rigg

Re-synchronizing external parts/assemblies with PDM standard

Gordon Rigg

I have all my data from before a certain date in PDM standard.

I now a have a collection of assemblies and files that have changed in WGPDM since that date, and I need to put this updated stuff into PDM standard.

The problem is the same as if someone copied a load of assemblies onto a laptop and went away and edited a load of them, without even checking them out - which I'm sure is a common thing! Now i need to get that newer data into PDM standard.

what is the best technique for overwriting the files in PDM standard with these newer files?

There are assemblies with some parts that changed, and lots of parts that didnt, etc etc.

Will the links between parts survive?

William Radigan posted a method for identifying WPDM files by edit date here: Workgroup PDM "Date Modified" Hack

• Re: Re-synchronizing external parts/assemblies with PDM standard
          William Radigan

The SLDPRT files are relatively easy.  (This was the reason for researching my 'hack' in the first place.)  You can extract the part files one at a time from WGPDM and then individually Check Out / Check In / Transition them to capture the updates.  It's a mind-numbing process, but it's doable.  Part drawings were similar, but the file references will still point to the original location. If that file isn't there then the "Search Path Order" starts.  This seemed generally successful in finding the correct parts, but Version numbers got a little mixed up. (That might have been the result of my being a newbie to PDM Standard at the time.)  Assemblies were much harder for me and I ended up manually going through the file references.  I also ended up adding a number of folders to my "Referenced Documents" path to help speed things up.  (I think I'll be able to remove those references once all of the assemblies have been 'touched' once and the file references get set to be within the vault.)

Search Path Order for Opening Files in SOLIDWORKS