12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 8:25 AM by Victor Carosi

Auto-Ballooning Not Working as Expected with Configurations?

Victor Carosi

I have an assembly with multiple configurations and one "master" configuration that has every part of every configuration in it. I use this master config to create one big exploded view that shows all the parts and different options instead of multiple exploded views. I now need to create cross-sectional views of each configuration and BOM/Balloon those views. Instead of creating a separate BOM for each config, I wanted to use the master config to create one BOM, then have each configuration reference that BOM, then auto-balloon the configuration cross-sectional views.

This half works - I drag in the master explode onto the screen but off the sheet, create the BOM based on that view, and then can go into the properties window for each drawing view and specify that each one use the master BOM. but when I ask SolidWorks to auto-balloon any configuration, nothing happens, no balloons appear. If, however, I manually create balloons, the item numbers populate as expected. So the reference is working, auto-balloon just isn't.

Any ideas? Is there a better approach to this? I always felt like using off-sheet but on-screen drawing views was clunky.

• Re: Auto-Ballooning Not Working as Expected with Configurations?
          Dan Pihlaja

Is this all happening on the same drawing?

The reason that I ask is that I just tried to duplicate what you were doing.

Here is what I did.

I took an existing assembly and created a drawing of it.

Added a view and then added a BOM.

I ran Auto Balloon on that main view.

Then I went into the assembly and added a configuration to it and in the new config, I suppressed 1 item.

Then I went back to my drawing and added a second view and used the new config on the 2nd view.   Changed properties to use the original BOM and then ran Auto Balloon on the new view.

What I noticed was that only 2 balloons showed up.  I dug some more and I realized that those 2 balloons that showed were the only 2 items that the first view didn't already auto balloon because they were not visible.

So, it looks like the auto balloon feature continues from where the previous view left off.

Unchecking "Ignore Multiple Instances" doesn't work (it adds more balloons, but only adds balloons for items that weren't directly ballooned in the original view).

In other words, if the item is already ballooned in another view attached to the same BOM, then auto balloon won't balloon it.

I can't figure out how to force Auto balloon to start over from scratch on the new view.

So my conclusion is that you can't do it that way.

Dan Pihlaja

You would be able to get it to work if you separated each of the different configurations into their own drawing.

Then, in each drawing, create your master view and attach the BOM to it (but don't auto balloon it).  Then create your sub view, attach it to the Master BOM and then auto balloon it.

But this might be more tedious...depending on how many you have.

If you had an assembly with hundreds of configurations, you could even create a drawing template that already has a BOM attached to two views.   Then it is as simple as assigning the configurations to the two views and then you only have to auto balloon.

David Matula

have not taken time to read everything her....you have to right click on each view and get to the properties and tell it which bom you want it to look at....kind of nuts...but every view needs to be done like this and then the balloons should come in right.

David Matula

it you go to your bill of material properties and get it to show all the configurations in the model the balloons should start working.  Then you can hide the columns that are not needed if your are showing them on the drawing.

Glenn Schroeder

I haven't read through all the responses, but here's an option that I don't think has been mentioned.

1.  Insert the master assembly and a BOM, as you said you're doing, but don't hide the drawing view.

2.  Auto-balloon this drawing view.

3.  Copy and paste it, and then change it to reference a different configuration.

4.  The balloons for the suppressed components will be dangling.  Delete them.

5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 as many times as needed.

6.  When you only need one more view, just change the original instead of copying and pasting.  After being inserted a BOM is linked to the Assembly file itself, not the drawing view, so if you change which configuration a drawing view is referencing the BOM won't change automatically.

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I haven't read through all the responses, but here's an option that I don't think has been mentioned.

1. Insert the master assembly and a BOM, as you said you're doing, but don't hide the drawing view.

2. Auto-balloon this drawing view.

3. Copy and paste it, and then change it to reference a different configuration.

4. The balloons for the suppressed components will be dangling. Delete them.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as many times as needed.

6. When you only need one more view, just change the original instead of copying and pasting. After being inserted a BOM is linked to the Assembly file itself, not the drawing view, so if you change which configuration a drawing view is referencing the BOM won't change automatically.

That is a great idea!!

Victor Carosi

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice. I already did it the hard way and manually labeled everything, but next time, I'm doing this.