8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 4:40 AM by Adam Hartles

How do I activate my student license?

Brandon Terry

I received an SDK-ID and serial number from my school yesterday with the place to download to Solidworks. I went through all the installation and input the serial number during. Everything installed just fine but when I go to open the program it says it can not obtain a license file then underneath says it cannot find a license file.

What does this mean? I input the license in and even double checked it through the set up again. How do I fix this so I can use Solidworks for my class?

• Re: How do I activate my student license?
          Doug Seibel

I am assuming that the computer you installed Solidworks on is the same computer you are using to post to this forum...which means the computer has access to the internet.  So the only thing I can think of off the cuff would be possible firewall issues.  If you are accessing the internet via the school (free wifi in the dorms or whatever), it might be preventing the software from accessing the license via the internet due to firewall settings (even though it is allowing you access to this forum).  If there is an off-campus wifi hotspot (like Panera) you can easily go to (assuming the computer is a laptop) you might want to pop over to it and try launching Solidworks while you are connected to the internet via their wifi (which most likely has a much less restrictive firewall).

Brandon Terry

I am actually on my home wifi but you just made me think of something that I didn't consider before. I am running Windows on my Mac through parallels and I believe it is set somehow to share use my Macs wifi instead of the wifi through Windows (if that makes sense). I wonder if that is somehow screwing with it. I hope I am able to get it working on here because this is the only way I can take it to school and do it in class.

When I was going through the installation it was asking for ports or a server or something like that. Which I don't have any knowledge about.

Adam Hartles

Check the serial key issued to you by the school is not their on campus network version. If this is the case you need a VPN connection to the school servers which they won't likely give. A student home version license is application only and sends you a unique serial key via email in the format 9020. If your serial key is any different it is the wrong one. As well as the SDK-ID did they send you to this website to apply for your own copy?

SOLIDWORKS Community Download Instructions | SOLIDWORKS

J. Mather

Do you get an option to run in 30-day trial mode?