5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2017 10:02 AM by Rick Becker

Do you link your drawing description to your model description?

Carrie Ives

I am setting up our best practices and templates. Of course, SolidWorks gives several ways to do anything. I would like a few opinions on risks and benefits of setting this up one of two ways. We do not have PDM available.

I recently came across a macro from Deepak Gupta that will copy the Description custom property from my model (part or assembly) to the Description custom property of my drawing. This makes it easy to get the description from the model to the drawing. It does have risk that someone could update the model description without updating the drawing description. The description of the drawing is available to Windows explorer.

At a previous job, we had the Description property set as $PRPSHEET:"Description".  Since the drawing pulls the information from the model, there isn't the risk that the model description gets updated without the drawing description reflecting that. In Windows explorer, the description for the drawing will be $PRPSHEET:"Description".

Which one does your company use? If you use a macro to get the description copied from the model, do you do something to make sure that the macro gets run regularly? Or, do you figure the descriptions will be close enough that it won't matter if changes in the description don't always propagate from the model to the drawing?

Thanks,

Carrie