7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2017 6:06 PM by Alin Vargatu

Saving large assemblies as more workable drawing files

Michael Gera

I have 4 relatively large assemblies (about 500 MB file size each) that I have lined up abreast in a drawing.  Needless to say, this drawing runs VERY sluggishly.

I tried saving the 4 assemblies as parts, that's a little better, but it's still pretty slow.

Is there a smarter way to do this?

FWIW, the purpose of this drawing is to show just some basic comparative dimensions between the 4 different products.  

Thanks for any help.

• Re: Saving large assemblies as more workable drawing files
          Solid Air

I can say that I am not thoroughly convinced that file size plays a significant role in how "sluggish" a drawing is.  I feel it depends more on the number of components and the number of edges created by them.  Remember that SolidWorks must determine how to display these edges.  Are they solid, hidden, phantom, etc.  If your drawing is set to display hidden lines visible then SolidWorks must determine when to display the line solid and when to display it hidden plus when part of an line is solid and part is hidden.  If your drawing is set to display hidden lines removed then it might be a little easier because components that are totally behind others are not displayed at all.  However SolidWorks must still deal with those lines that are partially solid and partially not displayed.  So now you know the background of where I am going with this.

If you are just using the drawing to show a comparison between four different products and these are not going to change all the time then, if you are using SW2016 or later, after you add all your dimensions and such I would convert the views to sketches.  At least in some of my tests the drawings are faster.  Still keep the original drawing for when changes do take place and use your converted drawing for static demonstration purposes.

This is my 1 1/2 cents (sense) worth.

Solid Air

As an alternative you could always save the drawing as a dwg/dxf and opening it in SolidWorks Draftsight.

There is also something called a detached drawing in SolidWorks but I have never worked with those so it may not apply.

Alin Vargatu

Michael Gera wrote:

I have 4 relatively large assemblies (about 500 MB file size each) that I have lined up abreast in a drawing. Needless to say, this drawing runs VERY sluggishly.

I tried saving the 4 assemblies as parts, that's a little better, but it's still pretty slow.

FWIW, the purpose of this drawing is to show just some basic comparative dimensions between the 4 different products.

Thanks for any help.

If you just need to show a few dimensions, without complex section views, do the following.

1. Insert assembly one in a new assembly.

2. Create a SpeedPak configuration of the new assembly, while preserving the faces that will get dimensions in the drawing

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each of the remaining assemblies

4. Create the drawing, calling for the SpeedPak configurations. Be aware that the color of the lines could be set-up in the Settings/Color/SpeedPak Edges

5. Add the required dimensions.

Other option would be to insert all assemblies in an assembly, and create the SpeedPak there. Then use that top assembly in the drawing.

Alin Vargatu

Michael Gera wrote:

I have 4 relatively large assemblies (about 500 MB file size each) that I have lined up abreast in a drawing. Needless to say, this drawing runs VERY sluggishly.

Thanks for any help.

Another option is to save the drawing as a detach drawing. It will open fast and you could still add dimensions and notes.

Should the model change, you could easily update the detached drawing by loading the model on demand.