8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2017 8:18 PM by Hamed Ashrafi

Pack and Go

Nicolas Ritter

Hello Solidworks Community

I do have a question about the pack and go process. We used to hire contractors to do our drawings which has recently changed hence I am trying to tidy up a few things. Following situation:

I have a folder with approx. 700 parts in them. 500 parts create an assembly of product 1 and 200 parts create an assembly of product 2. I would like to move the 500 parts (product 1) to a different folder. However, by selecting Pack and Go it takes all 700 parts. There is an option on selecting the parts manually but is there a way to take all 500 parts (including drawings, sub assemblies and main assemblies) to a different folder without sorting through them manually?

Cheers

Nicolas

• Re: Pack and Go
          Andres Lesmes

Hi Nicolas,

What is your workflow that is resulting in this behavior?

Have you tried doing the pack and go directly from SOLIDWORKS, and from Windows Explorer? Is the result the same?

What version and SP of SOLIDWORKS are you using? I've seen some issues with Pack and Go recently, but nothing like what you are describing.

Nicolas Ritter

Hi Andres

Thanks for getting back at me. I have done a pack and go directly from Solidworks with the result of it coping all assemblies to the new location - including assemblies that are not related to my file. I am using Solidworks 2017 SP 4.1. I can try a pack and go from the Windows Explorer but I don't expect any changes. In the pack and go window I have even deselected the assemblies of other machines but they ended up being copied to the new location.

Nicolas

Newell Voss

Use the move tool rather than P&G, unless you intend to make an additional copy of the assembly.

Otherwise you should be able to select the individual assembly and perform the P&G rather than trying to do it at the top asm level.

Dwight Livingston

Nicolas

I have seen this happen when an assembly drawing includes a view of a component, where the component is the subject of the view and not just along as part of an assembly. In our case, this was a label we use on all our instruments. When Pack'n'Go gathered up files, including drawings, it saw that this label was a subject in about five big assembly drawings. So it gathered in all those drawings, and to bring in all the drawings, it had to bring in all the models.

Dwight

Naga Ranjith Kumar Addagalla

Hi Nicolas,

As Andres Lesmes told & our way of procedure is described below,

Open Product 1 Assembly -> Pack and go(in the file option) -> At the bottom select the option "Include the drawings" -> Browse (files location) ->ok

Similarly to product 2.

I hope this solution will suit your requirements.

Thanks

Naga Ranjithkumar A

Hamed Ashrafi

If product1 is somehow related to product 2 then you need to pack and go everything together. It seems to me that your subcontractor has modeled one of the assemblies based on the other. if there is a part in product1 that takes its dimensions (or relations) from another part in product2 then when you pack and go product1, the other one goes with it.

You need to open the drawing document of your products and go to File >  Find References and check all the documents your product uses. when you pack and go solidowrks includes all these references in the process. see which parts or sub-assemblies refer to the other assembly and fix them first. 

Nicolas Ritter

Hi Hamed

Looks like you made a good point. Some assemblies are indeed used in both products. I find it interesting though that if I use save as it only takes all components from product 1 (excluding drawings) and not the whole lot.

Cheers

Nic

Hamed Ashrafi

Yes you're correct, that's what Save as does. but dont use it, because it just transfers the files in your assembly into another location but not the references. when you open a document that has been saved as, solidowrks uses the reference documents unless you play with save as options. All in all if you want to have two independent assemblies I suggest editing the models so they don't rely on each other and then pack and go them.