9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 7:53 PM by Ethan Kessel

Reseting Part and Assembly templates to their default?

Nick Schleck

Is there a way to restore the default files for Part and Assembly templates, or somewhere to download them? Mine have become corrupted and opening new parts/assemblies is now a major pain.

Thanks

• Re: Reseting Part and Assembly templates to their default?
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Nick,

There are actually no default templates shipped with the software or downloadable from anywhere. This is because they are automatically generated when needed based on the language in which the software is installed, and the options selected on first startup regarding desired units and drafting standard. They are usually created the first time you go to the File, New dialog, but, if you don't have any templates in the location defined in options for where the templates are supposed to be, the software will generate new ones. So, I would suggest moving your old templates to some other location (or delete them if you REALLY don't need them) and when you click File, New, it will generate new ones for you.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Nick Schleck

Thanks Jim,

I tried this and it worked immediately. Your explanation was very helpful in understanding what was actually going on here.

Ethan Kessel

Hey Jim,

My Assembly.asmdot file became corrupted when attempting to convert some step files to Solidworks. I did as you suggested, removing all of my template files from my C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2017\templates folder, and was able to create new assemblies that weren't corrupted. However, new template files were not inserted into the folder. When I put a custom drawing template back in the folder, it was no longer able to create part, assembly, or drawing files. Do I need to reinstall Solidworks or is there a way to refurbish my Assembly.asmdot file?

Thanks

Jim Wilkinson

Ethan Kessel wrote:

Hey Jim,

My Assembly.asmdot file became corrupted when attempting to convert some step files to Solidworks. I did as you suggested, removing all of my template files from my C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2017\templates folder, and was able to create new assemblies that weren't corrupted. However, new template files were not inserted into the folder. When I put a custom drawing template back in the folder, it was no longer able to create part, assembly, or drawing files. Do I need to reinstall Solidworks or is there a way to refurbish my Assembly.asmdot file?

Thanks

Hi Ethan,

First, what behavior are you seeing that makes you think the template files are corrupted? Template files should never become corrupted and if you feel they are, we want to get to the bottom of what may be wrong with them and fix them so that no one else runs into this problem if they truly are corrupted. The best way to do this is to give the templates to your reseller with information about how to reproduce the problem. And also, what is the behavior you get when you say you can't create part, assembly, or drawing files when you put a custom drawing template in the template folder?

There must be something else going on if you say you are able to make new assemblies but there are no templates in the folder. That is technically impossible; SOLIDWORKS documents can not be created without templates existing. So my guess is that you probably have multiple template folders defined and it is pulling them from one of the other folders.

Note that there are two places where template locations are defined in Options:

1. In Tools, Options, System Options, File Locations, and the first entry is for "Document Templates". These are the templates that are used when using File, New. This is documented here:
                      2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - File Locations Options
                    2. In Tools, Options, System Options, Default Templates. These are the templates used when importing files from other systems, using mirror/derived parts, opening SOLIDWORKS future version files, etc. This is documented here:
                      2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Default Templates Options

So if you are saying File, New creates assemblies but there is now assembly template in the folder, then my guess is that there are actually multiple folders defined in Document Templates on the File Locations tab.

You should also check the Default Templates tab to see if those settings are pointing to where you expect them to point.

And please do respond back with what behavior you are getting that makes you think the templates are corrupt. Again, we want to get to the bottom of that issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Ethan Kessel

Jim,

I checked my default templates and they all pointed to C:\ProgramData\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS 2017\templates. The file locations had an additional folder at C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\lang\english\Tutorial, but I assume that is normal for Student Edition. Anyways, that folder only contained templates for the tutorials (using millimeter, gram, second instead of inch, pound, second as specified in my settings). In other words, I don't think anything is wrong with the file directories.

When I create a part using the assembly template, I am prompted with this:

CaptureOfAssemblyCreatingIssue.PNG

It appears to be attempting to find a file that was part of the step file I was converting to Solidworks. After clicking "Suppress all missing components", it prompts me to insert a part. After I dismiss that however, the design tree shows two components already inserted but suppressed:

CaptureOfSuppressedParts.PNG

Additionally, at the top of the window, it lists the file as "Assembly.asmdot [Read-only]", as opposed to the usual "Assem1.sldasm". If I attempt to save the file, I am prompted with this:

CaptureOfSaveError.PNG

and after clicking OK, this:

CaptureOfSaveLocationAndType.PNG

where it wants to save the file as the Assembly.asmdot template in the templates folder (I believe this may be how the file became corrupted in the first place when I forgot to pay close attention to what a "save as" window said).

When I try to create a new file with my custom drawing template in the templates folder, but not the regular templates, I get this (the drawing button creates a drawing off of my custom template):

CaptureOfTemplateMissingError.PNG

in advanced mode, I get this:

CaptureOfAdvancedFileCreation.PNG

I hope all this helps,

Ethan

Glenn Schroeder

Nick,

Do you have some older files, from before the template became corrupt?  If yes, you should be able to open a Part, delete all features, sketches, etc., and then save as template, over-riding your existing template.  Repeat for Assembly.