7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 6:21 AM by John Stoltzfus

Using Layers In Drawings

Jed Ferreras

Hi,

I have been using solidworks and inventor for over 10 years now but recently I started working for a company that was using solid edge.

At that company with solid edge they had a drafting practice that involved making an assembly view in the drawing and then applying layers to various objects within the drawing. Depending on the desired layer settings, sometimes they would also use overlay views.

Pretty much the idea is that you have an assembly, but now that you want to discuss the precise nature of a specific component or sub-assembly, what you do is you show the entire assembly, but in the drawing anything other than your specific item is on a layer using the lowest lineweight settings and with a gray line color. If in the same view you also want to show referenced but not directly related objects, then they use hidden line types. In addition to this, the firm would also create overlay views which would allow to show otherwise hidden items but on a layer with specific lineweight, line color, and linetype settings.

An example to help illustrate this practice would be a car in a drawing view in which everything except the wheels is on a layer with the lowest lineweight and gray color, that way the wheels stand out and when you look at the drawing both the title and the layer settings allow you to focus immediately on the wheels. In addition to this, you could imagine say the break disks being on an overlay view highlighting whatever specific details are needed.

So with all this as a preface, I am attaching a sample view of an assembly I am working on. This is a product for a company I was recently hired at where they are using solidworks, and now that I am not using solid edge Id like to be able to bring back that technique of assigning drawing items to layers with specific settings and also be able to create overlay views to show specific details.

In the case below, I was able to place either specific parts or entire assemblies into a layer. The issue here is that this affects the entire drawing, so if I have 10 sheets I cant have unique layer settings for each sheet and its views because the settings are applied to the parts and not the view.

I am currently considering whether to create my views in separate drawing files, but still I think this practice is pretty useful for precise drawing communication and therefore id like to investigate the possiblity of being able to apply it in solidworks.

Please review and advise.

• Re: Using Layers In Drawings
          Jed Ferreras

Also very important, in solid edge users are able to copy and place stuff in place usually in the drawing to do this they will hold down the shift button as they paste stuff. Any way to do that in solidworks ??

Mattew Stafford

Here is the steps that I take.  Here is an example of a conveyor that I want to show the legs, but hide the rollers:

1) Add view(s)

2) Select all items that you want to show on the light grey layer (I made one called ghost), RMB and "component line font".

3) Change settings to look like this and select "ok":

4) My first view now looks like this:

5) Then I create another view in the same orientation, but "hide" all components that I don't want to see:

6) With both views on the screen, I select the last view I added, RMB, then select "Align...whichever method you desire".  Sometimes you need to align the views horizontally and vertically.

7) When the views are overlayed, you end up with this (unfortunately locking the view position so that it remains in the same relationship as the other view has not worked for me.. perhaps someone else has got it to work properly):

I have also done some stuff with Alternate position view as well.  Hope this helps.

Jed Ferreras

DUUUUUUUDE!!!!
                WOW! I never ever knew that I could align the same views to eachother in both directions. Ive always assumed that it only aligns in one direction! This is just mind blowing, I had no idea so many years of solidworks drawing views simply doing whatever they wanted oh man its really good now. You certainly took the cake with your answer, pretty much addressed every issue.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I think Im about to level up my solidworks game wayyy up! and by the way thats genuine excitement from me! dude I jumped off my chair when the views aligned and the component line font changed!

John Stoltzfus

Jed Ferreras - I know the feeling of excitement when seeing something like this and we forget to give credit where credit is due....  The least you can do is mark Mattew Stafford - answer correct - Way to show it Mattew

Rick Becker

Jed Ferreras wrote:

WOW! I never ever knew that I could align the same views to eachother in both directions. Ive always assumed that it only aligns in one direction!

Mattew Stafford wrote:

7) When the views are overlayed, you end up with this (unfortunately locking the view position so that it remains in the same relationship as the other view has not worked for me.. perhaps someone else has got it to work properly):

Maybe I am misunderstanding Mattew, but it looks like you can only lock views in one direction.

I too would love (and I have a need) to lock views accurately in both directions. I have not been able to accomplish this seemingly easy feat of magic on a SW drawing.

Mattew Stafford

Glad to help.  I have been saved so many times by reading posts on this forum, so its the least I could do.  I don't have an answer on locking the views, other than possibly adding the overlaid view very last, when you don't anticipate moving any views...scratch that...

I have been playing around a bit with "alternate position view" and it might work better for both of us.  Here is a side view of some stairs:

Next, select "alternate position view" and select the view on the screen and "ok":

It will take you to your assembly (I don't think it works for models).  It is intended for showing things like extended cylinders, etc.  Because you want to see the same position, select the checkmark:

What you have is a view that is identical and locked to the original view.  In the original view, "hide" the components you don't want to see.  I think that by default, the alternate position view is in phantom line.

Now, change the line font of the entire assembly in the alternate position view:

Hide components in the alternate position view as needed: