26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 11:57 AM by Matt Peneguy

Using Drawing in MS Word?

Bill Hopcraft

I created a large Exploded View drawing.  Now I need to take certain sections of the drawing to illustrate an instruction manual that was created in MS Word.  What's the best way to accomplish this?  First I tried saving the drawing as a .pdf file and cropping to the desired view.  When inserted into the Word document, the image was highly pixelated and looked terrible.  Next I tried zooming to the desired view in SolidWorks and saving that view as a .png file.  Again, the image quality was terrible when inserted into the Word document.

• Re: Using Drawing in MS Word?
          Chris Dordoni

Bill,   Did you try using Print Capture in the export options, you can set a higher resolution so the quality is better:

John Stoltzfus

Are you doing color or black and white....

I have done quite a few operators manuals over the years...  If you're using a full color picture then I would save the image as a high resolution jpeg at least 1440

and if it's a black and white drawing like an exploded view I would do a save as tif or ai

I always found that if you can zoom in as far as possible when saving the view and then when you paste it in Word you'll need to reduce the overall size to fit, makes for a much sharper picture...

I would suggest using Publisher for operators manuals, much easier to work with...

Bjorn Hulman

Bill, does the final manual need to be in MS word? As John Stoltzfus points out something like MS Publisher is better suited to the task. If you have access to CorelDraw or Adobe InDesign, I'd be inclined to use either of those. Then you can use the PDFs and the line images remain vector and use can adjust line thicknesses.

Wayne Schafer

If you want quick and easy use the snipit tool.  Snipit allows you to save in different pic formats and inserts into MS Word with no problem. Plus the pic view is clear in MS Word.

Capture.JPG

Glenn Schroeder

Bill,

I used the PrtScn/SysRq button on my keyboard to copy my screen, then opened Paint and pasted.  Selected the area I wanted...

... Ctrl+C, opened Word, and Ctrl+V.  It looks pretty good, and I didn't need to save any intermediate files.

Christopher Estelow

Greenshot is a really good program for capturing any selected area on the screen and gives multiple options after the capture.  It uses the Print Screen button on your keyboard to activate it.

Chris

Bill Hopcraft

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.  Here's where I'm at.  First, please note that I'm working from a SW drawing file.  I'm doing this because I don't want any shadows, shading, or similar effects showing up in the images that will go into the instruction manual.  The drawing was created from an assembly and is on a "D"-sized sheet in Hidden Lines Removed mode with tangent edges showing.  I've removed all color from the paper.  If I print the SW drawing, all of the features are razor-sharp and it looks great!  However, I'm still not having any success with getting an image that I can use in the manual.  The various methods of screen capture all yield poor results.  Print Capture works better than anything else I tried, but the file sizes are so big that Word and Publisher choke and barely run.  Unfortunately I don't have access to Corel Draw or Adobe InDesign, so I'm stuck with either Word or Publisher.  I'd sure appreciate any other advice you can give me!

Chris Dordoni

Bill,

What format are you saving to ?... JPG will actually make larger files because the compression is not intended for linework.

PNG will be the best choice if you can only use a bitmap/image format. I think you will have to keep the dpi down to 300 or so for a D size.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm surprised the method I explained didn't work for you.  The second screenshot I posted was taken from a Word document and I think it looks pretty good.

Matt Peneguy

This maybe an endeavor you may not want to undertake, but Latex will get this job done however you want with full vector graphics.  However, Latex has a very steep learning curve.  I have attached a sheet from an old maintenance manual that was created from 2D CAD vector graphics in Latex.

If you are stuck with word or publisher, you may look at converting that PDF to EMF.  EMF is the only vector format that Microsoft supports.  I don't know why that is the case in 2017, but it is.  If you want to create your manual in something easier than Latex, but can't spend any money, you may have a look at LibreOffice or OpenOffice.  They should support more formats such as SVG, and maybe even PDF and they are very similar to Word.

J. Mather

Bill Hopcraft wrote:

... please note that I'm working from a SW drawing file. I'm doing this because I don't want any shadows, shading, or similar effects showing up in the images that will go into the instruction manual.

The only reason I can think of for doing this from drawing file is if you want dimensions or other notations, section views etc.

Just thought I would point out that -

You can set your background to white and turn off shadows, shading or similar effects in model or assembly environment.

In the drawing environment you can set your sheet to white rather than the 100yr old sitting in the sun "yellowed sheet" color shown in the images attached to this thread.

Matt Peneguy

You learn something new everyday... I just followed your instructions and saved an assembly to pdf.  However, the pdf produced in this way is a raster.  If I create the pdf from a drawing it produces a vector pdf file.  The benefit of this is that the quality of a vector graphic is much better than a raster graphic and the file size is smaller. 

So, I agree it is more work to use a drawing, but the end result is a better final product.  And I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you need something quick and the model is simple, a raster is probably fine.  But if you are dealing with something that has a lot of detail or is very complicated, it may be beneficial to do the extra work and produce a vector file from a drawing.  Additionally, if the manual is quite long and there are many illustrations, vector pdf will pay off in a much smaller file size.

Kelef Man

hei'ya Bill,

maybe try Bullzip PDF printer-

zoom to desired view in SW

and then print to PDF with Bullzip

BullZip_PDFprinter.jpg

go thru the settings in the :-

properties/setup/page/margins/current screen view-etc........

hope this helps kelef

Steve Calvert

I just use a "snipping tool"

Steve C

Tony Cantrell

Go to View-Screen Capture-Image capture, then paste into word.