5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2017 12:14 PM by Boris Fratkin

How do I keep the link between a part and its drawing after virtualization of the part?

Boris Fratkin

Hi all,

I have an assembly file with many sub-parts in it. Assembly file, sub-part files, and sub-parts drawings are all located in the same folder.

I am currently trying to make the whole assembly virtual, including the sub-parts, and save it all in a separate folder. Problem is, once I virtuzlie the assembly and the sub-parts, the link between the drawing and the parts breaks. If I happen to change one of my virtualized sub-parts a bit, the drawing to this virtualized sub-part would not correspond to the change.

Is there a way to keep them linked at all times even after virtualization?

Maybe I need to manually input the address to the drawing from the virtualized sub-part in solidworks somehow? Does anybody know?

Thanks a bunch!!

• Re: How do I keep the link between a part and its drawing after virtualization of the part?
          Ron Chappell

Hi

The virtual part is inside the assembly and cannot be referenced externally unless you make it an independent file again. You could create configurations in the assembly for each of the virtual parts for a drawing but that is messy.

• Re: How do I keep the link between a part and its drawing after virtualization of the part?
            Paul Risley

I cannot think of a way to associate a virtual part to an individualized drawing. It goes against what a virtual part is, a dependent part based on an assembly construction enviroment.

I just realized the help section isn't so much on this topic. It tells you what you can do with virtual files, but does not touch on the limitations.

Outside of a multipage assembly drawing showing detailed drawings of individual virtual parts, I would say this process will not work. Even if you could associate a drawing with a virtual part, it would not work out well since you cannot create a drawing of a virtual part by itself. Sorry.

Boris Fratkin

Yea, I had to tinker around for a bit and then sleep over it tonight to realize something.

I was able to work around it and actually associate an existing drawing to the part when the part is virtualized by basically, saving this part as an individual file first in the same folder where the virtualized assembly is saved. Drag in this part's drawing into the same folder as well.

Then, from SolidWorks, open the part (which is now technically is not a virtual file anymore) and from SolidWorks open the drawing of this part. The drawing comes up with the dashed lines on the views (no views). You can right click on each dashed view and choose "Replace Model". Then, navigate to the newly saved part (previously virtualized through the assembly) and choose it. Once you choose it your left screen turns green. Click on the green check mark and views are updated accordingly on the drawing. You might have to do that on all views. But what's neat is - all the dimensions import as well, the same original dimensions that were there before on the drawing.

So it works. A little clean up needed but it does.

One other question that rises up from it though - does a part really count to be virtuzlied if I visualize it first by making a whole assembly virtual, and then save it as a separate file from this virtuzlied assembly? Does this file still stay virtuzlied?

Used the word virtual too many times. But I hope you guys can follow. Sorry!

Glenn Schroeder

If you'd care to explain why you're making the assembly virtual someone could probably suggest an alternative workflow that would work for you.