5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 4:55 AM by Deepak Gupta

Macro Help

Eric Wicklund

I was wondering if someone would have a good article or could point me in the right direction to learn how to write effective macro's.

I recently purchased a G13 gaming keypad and would love to have all of my "common tasks" assigned to a macro that would be activated by the hotkey on the keypad. That potion of it i am not concerned with, its the actual writing of the macros.

I would like to have macros

1. Many times i have a part title that is to long and overflows the title block so i have to go in and edit the sheet format and make the font smaller; 14pt to 10pt.
      2. Insert a pre-made note style from the design library
      3. I have a macro that will add properties IF they do not exist already, it works just fine but i am curious how i can add the weight and material already assigned/calculated. (see picture)

here is what i have for a macro for line item 3;

Option Explicit

Public Enum swDocumentTypes_e

swDocNONE = 0

swDocPART = 1

swDocASSEMBLY = 2

End Enum

Sub main()

Dim swApp As Object

Dim Part As Object

Dim tDate As Date

Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc  ' Get currently active document

Select Case Part.GetType

Case swDocPART ' If active file is a part then insert PART custom properties

Part.AddCustomInfo "PartNo", "Text", "****" ' Part Number

Part.AddCustomInfo "Title", "Text", "****" ' Title

Part.AddCustomInfo "Description", "Text", "****" ' Description

Part.AddCustomInfo "Revision", "Text", "1" ' Revision

Part.AddCustomInfo "DrawnBy", "Text", "EAW" ' Drawn By

' Part.AddCustomInfo "DrawnDate", "Text", tDate ' Drawn Date

Part.AddCustomInfo "EngineeringApproval", "Text", "MAW" ' Engineering Approval

Part.AddCustomInfo "Finish", "Text", "BLACK ANODIZE" ' Finish

Part.AddCustomInfo "Material", "Text", "---" ' Material

Part.AddCustomInfo "Weight", "Text", "---" ' Weight

Part.AddCustomInfo "Vendor", "Text", "**" ' Vendor

Part.AddCustomInfo "VendorNo", "Text", "N/A" ' Vendor P/N

Part.AddCustomInfo "Manufacturer", "Text", "N/A" ' Manufacturer

Part.AddCustomInfo "Manufacturer PN", "Text", "N/A" ' Manufacturer P/N

Part.DeleteCustomInfo "Desc1"   'Removes existing property from downloaded McMaster Carr part

Part.DeleteCustomInfo "Desc2"   'Removes existing property from downloaded McMaster Carr part

Part.DeleteCustomInfo "Desc3"   'Removes existing property from downloaded McMaster Carr part

Case swDocASSEMBLY ' If active file is an assembly then insert ASSEMBLY custom properties

Part.AddCustomInfo "PartNo", "Text", "SEE BOM" ' Part Number

Part.AddCustomInfo "Title", "Text", "****" ' Title

Part.AddCustomInfo "Description", "Text", "****" ' Description

Part.AddCustomInfo "Revision", "Text", "1" ' Revision

Part.AddCustomInfo "DrawnBy", "Text", "EAW" ' Drawn By

' Part.AddCustomInfo "DrawnDate", "Text", tDate ' Drawn Date

Part.AddCustomInfo "EngineeringApproval", "Text", "MAW" ' Engineering Approval

Part.AddCustomInfo "Finish", "Text", "SEE BOM" ' Finish

Part.AddCustomInfo "Material", "Text", "SEE BOM" ' Material

Part.AddCustomInfo "Weight", "Text", "---" ' Weight

• Re: Macro Help
          Deepak Gupta

For Material and Mass use

Part.AddCustomInfo "Material", "Text", Chr(34) & "SW-Material" & "@" & swModel.GetTitle & ".SLDPRT" & Chr(34) ' Material

Part.AddCustomInfo "Weight", "Text", Chr(34) & "SW-Mass" & "@" & swModel.GetTitle & ".SLDPRT" & Chr(34) ' Weight

Make sure you've file extension set to hidden else swModel.GetTitle would have extension included.

Also AddCustomInfo is obsolete now, use swModel.Extension.CustomPropertyManager instead.

Elmar Klammer

Hello,

Just a little general info. Deepak probably already knows this. You don't have to get the title of the component for SW to resolve the property. The generic form "SW-Material" & "@" & "part.SLDPRT" & Chr(34) will automatically convert to the file name when added.

That formula works always. It doesn't need to say part. You can try "SW-Material@1.SLDPRT" if you like and see for yourself. For Assemblies replace sldprt with sldasm and it will work too.

For custom props no rebuild is required. With configuration specific props a rebuild all will due the trick.

Elmar

Nilesh Patel

Hi Eric,

You can create Part or Assembly document template with all custom properties that you need so that you don't have to enter them manually or via macro.

Eric Wicklund

I know I can adjust the custom properties, but parts are usually pretty late files so it's faster to "save as" and make the adjustments you need so 95% of the time I'm not starting a new part