6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 12:57 PM by Jeremy Feist

PDWE Template for drawing + model

Jeremy Feist
      So we are implementing PDMWE, and I need to meke our CAD Templates. I want to make them in pairs (drawing with its associated model - assy or part).

I've got a template that makes the new files, propogates the prpoperties right, but the drawing has views of the template part - not the new one. I have yet to find a solution in the Admin guide or this forum - not a fan of the search feature

Anyone have an I dea of what I may be doing wrong? or is this just not available?

SW2008 SP4.0

thanks
        • PDWE Template for drawing + model
          Jeff Sweeney
          I assume you are using Enterprise templates? If so, I am pretty sure that is a limitation of the Enterprise template routine. It simply copies the files, it isn't going to have the logic to update references.

I'm with you on the search routine stinking up the joint....
            Christina Seay
            Seems like I remember reading something in the Admin guide for that being Enterprise templates work... they just copy the "template" file and use it as the base for a new file.

And yeah... the search routine here is horrible. I typically use it along with my browser's built-in search to narrow it down some, or I do a google search and limit it to this site... still not a fabulous solution though.
              Jeff Sweeney
              What you are thinking about is an interesting idea, but creating a drawing from a part is maybe only three mouse clicks?

When you consider there will be times when you won't have a drawing, or the part doesn't survive to make it to production, your users would have more work to do cleaning up afterward than what they would save?

Besides I am really liking the idea of [most] new parts at least for a while starting out as a virtual part. Less cleanup at the end deleting files that didn't make it to production. --just IMHO
                Christina Seay
                I think that I'm with Jeff on this one... it may be that the way our companies work is different from yours... but I know at our company we would have a lot of cleanup to do if we automatically got a drawing created every time we made a part or assembly.

You might could make what you're wanting work with some custom programming... I'm thinking toolbar button in PDM or SolidWorks that the user would click to create the files and it would do a save as from solidworks instead of new file creation in PDM if the save as is working for you... but it would probably be a fairly complex program to write and make it user friendly.
                    Jeremy Feist
                    I am totally with you on the Virtual part front.

I am dealing with Assembly drawings here - we put the same few parts together in ALOT of different ways.

so far it looks like we will either:
                    1) use the templates to make the drawings with the wrong reference, and then edit the reference when we first open them, or
                    2) try to get as many of the dimensins/notes to atomatically insert as we can.

not sure which way will be more stable/user friendly... Any thoughts? or other ways people are accomplishing this?