11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 8:31 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Strange things I see....

David Matula

I am updating a part I created in 2014 in sw 2017....

some of the strange things I have seen.....

I needed to change the position on a ref sketch...I have always hated looking on the right click to find the driven dim toggle....so there was the other tab on the dim property screen.  Where I could change a dim to driving or driven I get the option to make it read only......had fun trying to undo that crazy option.

another little funny thing is that I have also seen where you can change the dim to driven in the same spot today I found read only...

The little gear where you should be able to set you system options and customize your keyboard hot keys.  Most of a week the customize was missing...till I searched for the command....now it is back.....

Not to happy with the tables and formulas

FIND AND REPLACE IN THE DRAWING...never thought about using it till they brought me 17 drawings to update some text on.  To bad the option is not there to search all 19 sheets for the text you want to change....

• Re: Strange things I see....
          David Matula

rulers and zone lines....see this junk when editing tblks....well I found where I may be able to turn it off....that movement up at the top just hurts my eyes while I'm trying to do something else on the tblk.......found it looking for the place to show hidden views....now where did they move that?  Same old place just hides good in plain view.....

John Stoltzfus

haha - you'll get there David Matula - not sure if you want pity or a swift kick in the butt to "getter done" -   - Kind of opposite here - almost every week I get to use the latest and greatest professional SW 2017 - then my part time job I'm stuck at 2014, the really funny part about it is that I very seldom do I realize a difference or miss a feature or one of the small subtle changes that SW introduces on a yearly basis.  So that's scary and sad, because it proves I don't use them enough in 2017 and I'm still stuck with 1997 or 1998 Plus........

Matt Peneguy

I agree to some extent that change is hard and making a 3 year jump in SWX is difficult because they have made a lot of changes.  I made the same jump a little while ago and now I am glad I did.  While I think the focus needs to remain on ONE and TWO, I have to admit I am really liking some of the new functionality.  One huge improvement for my new workflow (SSP) is to be able to see all of the references, right there in the feature tree.  It has really helped me immensely.  Hopefully, you will discover some of these improvements that will help your workflow, too.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm glad you found how to turn the rulers off.  I don't like them either.  You asked about showing Hidden Views.  See below.

Dan Pihlaja

They removed find/replace in SW 2017?

They still have it SW 2015.

David Matula

it is just what the title is got to have a place to vent....

Dan Pihlaja

they still got find and replace in 2017 just that it does one sheet at a time..no option that I could find that would do multiple sheets...also did not look that hard for one....

David Matula

New annoying thing with SolidWorks......

closing out a simple part the program wants to save any and all modified documents.....even if no real changes other than rotating them around on the screen have been done......because according to the program that is a modification........

I would like to be able to close just the one file without having to save all of them.......some of the files are read only cause  they are stock parts that the whole group uses.....

darn.... I told this drawing to close about three times and it is still open......save modified parts....save this save that....think that we have gotten a little overboard on the save often redundancy in the program.....

what really sucks is I just closed an assembly and some drawing views went blank....open the assembly back up to see about getting the drawing views back and one of my reference sketches went out of wack...

Dan Pihlaja

David Matula wrote:

closing out a simple part the program wants to save any and all modified documents.....even if no real changes other than rotating them around on the screen have been done......because according to the program that is a modification........

I would like to be able to close just the one file without having to save all of them.......some of the files are read only cause they are stock parts that the whole group uses.....

darn.... I told this drawing to close about three times and it is still open......save modified parts....save this save that....think that we have gotten a little overboard on the save often redundancy in the program.....

what really sucks is I just closed an assembly and some drawing views went blank....open the assembly back up to see about getting the drawing views back and one of my reference sketches went out of wack...

Read this:

http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2010/09/circular-references/

S. Casale

David Matula wrote:

I would like to be able to close just the one file without having to save all of them.......some of the files are read only cause they are stock parts that the whole group uses.....

What really sucks is that you are just noticing this. This has been a problem with SW since I have used in 2009. I actually proved that this is a problem with SW today - while conferencing with my VAR. Don't think this is getting fixed ever, as SW considers (whether true or not) that is or has dirty files associated with it.