6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 3:36 AM by Denis Messager

how can I get getenumeratorvariable command for a folder ?

Denis Messager

Hello I made some reseach on the API help and on the forums without sucess.

I make an Excel macro to sort all the emails stored in a specific folder. I would like to get a card value of the folder.

The function "GetEnumeratorVariable" is available for a IEdmFile but not for EdmFolder. But in the help documentation, it says this is same way to access file or folder.

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help.

• Re: how can I get getenumeratorvariable command for a folder ?
          Alex Burnett

This appears to be answered here. Let me know if this works for you.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/98813

Denis Messager

Hi Alex,

Thank you for helping me.

I've found this thread when I made my researches, it looks to work in C# but in VBA it doesn't.

For example, I declare my variables :

• dim MonFichier As IEdmFile11
              • Dim MonDossier As IEdmFolder9
              • Dim varEnum As IEdmEnumeratorVariable5

Set varEnum = MonFichier.GetEnumeratorVariable works but Set varEnum = MonDossier.GetEnumeratorVariable doesn't.

If I go though it, I get a VBA message like 'property not handled'

Even the VBA editor proposes me the method GetEnumeratorVariable for MonFichier and doesn't for MonDossier.

Alex Burnett

In the example, the folder is set directly as the IEdmEnumieratorVariable5 object. It does not have a GetEnumeratorVariable function. Try the following.

Set varEnum = MonDossier.GetEnumeratorVariable

I tried implementing this with my C# add-in to check and get variables and the above step worked for me. I did run into a problem with the GetVar function returning null values so I don't know exactly how to get the variables you're looking for as a list you can browse through.

Denis Messager

Thanks, it works, no more problem to set the IEdmEnumeratorVariable5 variable.

But as you noticed, the getvar function return always 'nothing' values. I double checked my variable name.

Dim VariableValue As IEdmVariableValue6

Set varEnum = MonDossier

Call varEnum.GetVar("DESCRI_FRA", Empty, VariableValue)

If Not VariableValue Is Nothing Then

MsgBox ("OK")

End If

Alex Burnett

Okay, it looks like I can get it to work with "Date" and "Author", however it doesn't appear to work with my other variables. I don't know if it is because they are blank on my folder because I can't edit that for testing. Hopefully you can get it working the way you need it to. If it helps, here's the code I used to get the date.

efile = vault.GetFileFromPath(modelIn.FilePath, out efolder);

IEdmEnumeratorVariable5 ie5 = (IEdmEnumeratorVariable5)efolder;

object foldervarval;

ie5.GetVar("Date", string.Empty, out foldervarval);

if(foldervarval != null)

Trace.WriteLine("Folder Project Num: [" + foldervarval.ToString() + "]");

Denis Messager

Hi Alex,

Thank you a lot for helping me. You found the solution !

Dim VariableValue As variant

Set varEnum = MonDossier

Call varEnum.GetVar("DESCRI_FRA", Empty, VariableValue)

If Not IsEmpty(VariableValue) Then

MsgBox ("my value : " & CStr(VariableValue))

End If

I can now move forward on my Excel sheet. It's been a pleasure to work on this with you.

I hope it could help the API community with this VBA code.