44 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 6:40 PM by Jaja Jojo

Model Display Color

Jaja Jojo

Hi i'm a little bit frustrated about this Model display color, i tried to change everything in the color option and also i reset my registry but still i does not fix my problem

If i open the model it shows the color or appearance that i specify but after editing one of its component it turns the entire assembly into dumb grey color. But if i will close and open again it will show the color i specified but after editing a component it will turn again the entire model into a Zombie color,

Dell Precision M6700 with Nvidia Quadro K5000M

This is also not large assembly it only contains 98 parts

Zombie color

The human color

• Re: Model Display Color
          Ned Hutchinson

I was having this trouble the other day and it seems the appearance was coming from the material.

I had multi body part and the feature tree material:steel.

But had some aluminium pieces that i changed material in cut list to aluminium so it would look right.

But the steel material in feature tree for some reason kept overiding and making the aluminium look like the steel.

Mabye try remove material from Zombie colour wheel and reapply?

Jaja Jojo

Hi Ned Hutchinson

I try your suggestion and i thought it fix my problem but after 5 minutes tweaking it returns to Zombie color again and yeah i'm steel as material the AISI 1010 material, I did try experiment on my other assembly that has no steel materials and yeah they do not turns into Zombie i wonder if the steel materials turning them to zombie, its kinda frustrating

By the way i'm using SW 2017 SP4 the one they release last week then recall again because many SW user shouting that its full of bugs when your using PDM but i decided not to return to SP3 since i do not use PDM

Jitendra Gahalot

Hi Jaja,

Can you share your model, to find out what's happening.

Alan Knapper

Solidworks has had this color problem for many, MANY releases now. It is independent of material, as I seldom require such assignments.

I use color to define separate components in assemblies. Take the component part, go to Settings, change the color, make sure the "Assign" and "Ignore" boxes are checked. Works great until you close out (I'm talking about out of SW altogether), then open it back up again. Color's back to gray. Open the part up, and at least one of those boxes , usually "assign" at least, is unchecked. I've tried any number of ideas to try and make the color change hold, but nothing has worked.

I'm attempted to get this resolved several times over the years (yes, the word is indeed years), but no service packs, no new releases have made any difference. What I've gotten from the SW guys I've asked is the old, "we can't duplicate it." They've then asked to record the steps involved, and for the most part, one of the steps is often a shutdown of SW, meaning: no recording.

Something is still wrong. It's good, if alarming, to know that my coworkers and I aren't the only ones experiencing this, but what's truly disappointing is that it's gone on this long (I can't remember how many releases back it's been since colors have remained where you set them).

This is another of those mainly annoying things, but it's an annoyance that used to not exist. I'd like to go back to those days, if possible.

Steven Mills

Not a full solution, but when dealing with colors this little tool helps A LOT.

Click on any part face or component on the tree and you should have the appearance color tool in the options. The ones higher up on the list can override the ones lower in the list. For example a color on the face will override any feature, body or part color. This tool also allows easy removal of color and texture.

John Stoltzfus

Jaja Jojo - There are a few places to check your settings - Assembly side - Tools Options Colors - Tools Options Document Properties Color

there is also your view settings

Check these settings as well

and.....

Check these settings

Alan Knapper

Thanks,

However, it seems that my problem has been since the beginning, that the settings in the "Model Display" will not hold. As I mentioned in my original post, I make sure the "Apply" and "Ignore" boxes are checked, but somewhere along the line, usually at least the "Apply" box gets UN-checked. I have no control over it, and no one has been able to explain why it happens, and it seems that the SW guys can't make it happen.

As I've stated, this has been going on for a very long time...

John Stoltzfus

It's your Assembly Template, can you make a new template, don't save it from there - load the one attached and save that as a test.  Now this won't fix anything in the past, but it should clear stuff for the future....

Alan Knapper

Thanks. I'll open those up and compare to what I've been using.

John Stoltzfus

There's nothing really to compare, other than saving over your original part and or assembly template....  Like I said, I'm convinced it has to do with an old setting years ago, that you just can't get rid of...

Alan Knapper

20 year old settings: I wouldn't be at all surprised (even though such things haven't been as customizable as they are now for nearly so long). I may still end up modifying what you sent a little, but if it takes care of the dang color deal, fabulous.

Thank you.

I hope it helps out Jaja Jojo, too, since I kind of took over his thread...

Jaja Jojo

Hi Alan Knapper

Thanks this helps a lot to figure out my problem and to see that i'm not the only one experiencing it (which means that my workstation is not crazy since it is 5 year old, i was thinking to move the SW to my new Monster desktop workstation but i always forgot to transfer the license when i'm travelling with my mobile workstation, so i decided  my precision 6700 is for SW and my Threadripper is for Fusion 360  CAD/CAM Machining)  I've been telling this to the VAR but they couldn't duplicate it so i was frustrated to them and told them to the phone that come to my place and play with my games so they are scheduled to visit our small office by next week (A week of a horror)

Alan Knapper

Yes, as my comments have stated, I've been fighting this for many years now, but ran into the "I can't duplicate this" bit. I haven't had a chance to try John's templates yet, but I'm hoping they actually do the trick.

And I'll also comment on the message you have below (well, it's below currently, anyhow) about things staying the desired colors for a while longer than before, but still wanting to revert to gray again.

John mentioned this when the two of us were conversing about the new template files he passed on:

The templates will only help the color problems we've been having on files created with those new templates. Anything created with the old templates will continue to experience the same troubles we've been having.

So, going by that, the only way to eliminate the zombification of your parts is to unfortunately start completely over using the corrected templates.

Jaja Jojo

Hi, Alan Knapper

Thanks for that suggestion i'm a bit busy so i did not yet tried the template John provided i will try it anyway after we finished our current work, Any way the project that was infected by zoombie virus will be ending soon by this October but even do at least i will figure it out so that if i will reuse some of my old file then my project will not turn to zoombie again, Thanks Alan and John and the others this help me a lot

Alan Knapper

If I understand John's message correctly, if you use his assembly template, then that should help with the zombification of your assemblies, even if you have old components created with the old template. Then, you only have to concern yourself with individual components (Old template derived) going gray, rather than the whole assembly.

At least, that's my interpretation of the situation.

John Stoltzfus

Alan Knapper & Jaja Jojo

Here is the Color Override Picture from Bernie Daraz

Alan Knapper

Nicely done, and informative

I use those on occasion, but my main problem has always been not only shaded display going to gray, but the components' wireframe not holding the color. Overrides do great for shaded display, but nothing for wireframe. And wireframe is only controlled back in Settings/Doc Props/Model Display. I'm hoping that these new templates help keep the "Apply to wireframe, HLR and shaded" button checked when I check it, because more than anything, that's the button that's been my primary problem, because that button goes unchecked with virtually no warning.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Alan,

Just in case: You do know that the "Apply same color to wireframe, HLR and shaded" is a document setting, not a system setting, hence why it is in the Document Properties tab. This means it is set on each and every document independently and changing it on one document will not affect another document. And if you want it to apply to new documents, you must change that setting in your document template(s) and resave your document template(s).

If you know all of that and within a single document that had the option checked, it somehow gets unchecked, please report back if you can find a reproducible sequence that causes it to happen.

Thanks,

Jim

Alan Knapper

Yes, I realize that's a document setting. It's checked to "on" in my templates. What my issue is, is that it doesn't stay that way once a part gets created, whether it's checked at create or not. It used to, up until somewhere around SW 2012 or so, I don't recall exactly when. It's especially bad with derived parts: parts created within assemblies, multibody saves, that kind of thing. Those aren't the only problem children, but it's something that's been there for some time, and so far, I've had no luck trying to get it resolved. I'm hopeful that the templates from the other day take care of it. I have few doubts that there are things on my old, re-used templates that could be causing much of the trouble. I've been using Solidworks since SW 97, so I've seen a lot with this software, and it gets frustrating sometimes to have something that worked fine in earlier releases suddenly not work properly any more.

As I've stated, the color thing is more an annoyance than anything else, but it's a real curiosity as to what happened, because for many releases, all you needed to do was change your color, hit the right buttons, and those colors remained as you set them until you changed them again. For them suddenly to randomly change back to a default you hadn't used for years was both a curiosity and a frustration, because I never received any kind of idea what the cause might be. Outdated templates, with settings on them that may not even be available anymore, but still are retained, is the best answer I've received so far, so I'm willing to give it a try and see what happens.

Oh, and as far as reproducibility: the trouble gets to be that it is random. It quite often happens after a shutdown. Sometimes of my entire computer, sometimes, only of SW itself. Most days, it's okay. Then, for no perceivable reason whatsoever, everything's gray, and (at least) the "apply" button is unchecked again. If I could figure out a pattern - and for as long as I've been experiencing this, you'd certainly think I'd have found one -  I would gladly pass it on, but aside from the shutdown thing, I haven't been able to detect any other pattern that might be causing it.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Alan,

For your problem of the option being turned off, I did find the following SPR in our database:

625440 - Apply same color to wireframe, HLR and shaded option gets unchecked when appearance is changed in part.

This link should hopefully bring up the SPR in the Knowledge Base:

https://customerportal.solidworks.com/eservice_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=InvokeMethod&SWEMethod=GotoRecord&SWEService=SWGotoR…

I was able to reproduce it by turning the Apply option on, then using the right mouse button, Appearance button on the top level part item in the FeatureManager tree and changing the part appearance or by dragging and dropping an appearance from the Appearances, Scenes, and Decals tab of the Task Pane onto the part and choosing the part icon to apply the appearance to.

Does this sound like something you may have done at some point before noticing the option has been turned off? If so, then please vote for the SPR in the Knowledge Base (by specifying you want to be notified when it is fixed) or by reporting the SPR to your reseller so they can log it.

Thanks,

Jim

Alan Knapper

Jim,

Thanks for responding. That process seems pretty involved. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't had much use for appearances since I gave up on Photoworks 360 when they made it a tab inside SW proper. Would having done that persist for this many years, because a process like that is definitely not something I'd do on a regular basis. As I've stated elsewhere here, I change my part colors in Settings/Doc Prop/etc and then maybe override individual faces for reference, but I don't generally utilize any other method for coloring my models.

I know I haven't done a process like you describe above in a very long time, if I ever truly did it in the first place. It's been so long ago, I can't say yes or no. If having gone through that even once could cause such a long-standing problem, then I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about it.

And that's been the really frustrating part: it seems like I'm the only person out there with this particular problem, and your guys want reproducibility, and there's no way to duplicate it, because it is truly random, and it's been going on for a very, very long time.

For the most part, I just live with it. It's annoying, but in the end, it doesn't keep me from getting work done. It's just been going on for so, so long, I can't remember when the colors did hold. I poke my head in and make an attempt at resolving it every couple years or so, to see if anyone else is bringing up anything similar, and I joined this thread because it seemed I'd finally found someone who was going through the same thing. However, from looking over your other messages, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

There's still a problem. I'm hoping the template is indeed the problem, and that the one John supplied does the trick. However, if it doesn't, I'm back to where I've been since whichever release this all started with, back in the dark annals of SW time...

Oh, and the SPR? I can't access it.

Alan Knapper

And since it appears that my problem is different from Jaja's (it must be, because he was able to replicate the process that causes it), should I start a different thread to attempt to resolve my particular malady?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Alan,

I assume you also assign materials to parts? When you assign a material, it assigns an appearance automatically. And I just tested it and assigning a material also unchecks the "Apply same color to wireframe, HLR and shaded" check box. Perhaps this is the problem?

I've updated the SPR to also include this workflow, so if you think this could be the cause, please contact your reseller with the SPR# (625440) so they can log your name against it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jaja Jojo

Hi Jim Wilkinson

I made a recording how the zoombiefication occur

Jim Wilkinson

Jaja Jojo wrote:

Hi Jim Wilkinson

I made a recording how the zoombiefication occur

If I understand correctly, your problem is different than Alan's. Yours has nothing to do with the setting in Tools, Options, correct?

Can you reproduce it regularly? If so, since you cannot share your model, can you open the display pane in the FeatureManager tree and then record a video of the steps to reproduce? This might give a clue as to if appearance assignments are somehow jumping from one file to another or something like that (from the part level to the assembly level). Which looks like the behavior of what is happening visibly in your recording.

Thanks,

Jim

Jaja Jojo

Hi, Jim Wilkinson

Yeah you are correct the material assign from the shaft jump to the entire assembly overriding everything as John Stoltzfus pointed in the color overrides picture. here is my recording

Jim Wilkinson

Thanks for confirming that. And if you remove that appearance on the assembly, it is back to normal?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Yes, understood. I am not able to reproduce it with a simple assembly I have created. But I am also not getting the dialog asking if I want the assembly to update and I notice that there is a lot going on in the status bar and with a dialog popping up after you close the part, but before the assembly updates. So, my guess is this could be related to an add-in or something and the update mechanism of the add-in when switching documents. Can you try turning off the add-ins one by one to see if the problem goes away when turning off a specific add-in? I would start with turning off simulation and see if it goes way. Then maybe motion if you have that turned. Then MBD, etc.

Post back with what you find.

Thanks,

JIm

Jaja Jojo

Hi. Jim Wilkinson

Some how your right about the add-in when i tried to turn off them one by one and nothing happens so I restart again by turning off them one by one but i need to close the file then turn off addin then open the file but with the first two addin nothing happens but when i turn off them all, all the pop up is gone and everything looks like normal so i decided to try in reverse by turning on the addins one by one and closing and opening the files and these is what i've found out turning on the other addins except the simulation everything is normal but if the simulation is turned on then colors become zombies,

hmm I wonder why simulation ruining the color i tried to search in the KB (Knowledge Base) but i cannot find anything. Maybe there something wrong after i updated to SP4 then use the SP4.1 Patch. Do i need to uninstall it and download the SP4.1 and Install it I hate to download the entire Software which is more than 12GB.

Oh by the way Alan Knapper you do not need to start another thread because our problem is like a brother or sister (It's like hitting two birds in one stone) I can replicate your problem maybe it's a coincidence but yesterday we receive a water filter system project from a customer his SW files is experiencing your problem.

Jaja Jojo

Hmm Cool John Stoltzfus

I never thought that I always color my model in the parts environment so if i understand correctly assembly color overrides everything?

Alan Knapper

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the assembly necessarily overrides anything. It just seems that way because when the colors revert, they all happen to be associated to the assembly you're currently working on. Your components are all getting reverted at the part level, and I'm not convinced the assembly has anything to do with it.

It's like, say, you make a multi-body part. You use Save Bodies to make individual components for an assembly. Your master model for all these saved body parts is a color you've defined back in Settings. Each saved body but one goes to gray. Nothing has been put in an assembly, so it can't be said that the assembly has a lot of input on what's happening. But they're still reverting to gray, nevertheless.

I change my colors at the part level. Depending on what I'm doing, I may change a face color, but for the most part, I define my model colors in Settings. It looks to me like it's been an ongoing instability in the Model Display settings that the "Apply to wireframe, etc" box refuses to stay checked when you check it. I'm hoping when I get the chance to try a new file with John's templates, that that instability has been corrected.

Jaja Jojo

Thanks John i try these setting and play with it but after a longer time SW is open the problem will occur sometimes it will return to normal but sometimes it turn to zombie mood again,