1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 11:25 AM by Bill McEachern

Supersonic Nozzle Flow Analysis

James Parkus

Hello,

I am designing a supersonic nozzle and I am using the solidworks flow simulation package to analyze the flow. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly,

How do I find the exit pressure of the nozzle over the exit plane? I tried to do an XY plot using the exit edge but I am pretty sure it just giving the exit pressure at the boundary.

Secondly,

I have designed a nozzle using another software and it not performing optimally. It is over-expanded. I am trying to find the correct inlet pressure to provide the correct exit pressure (Pe = Pa). To do this, I am simply using a bracketing method, just trial and error until I find the correct pressure ratio. Does solidworks have a way to do this for me?

Thanks,

James Emerson Parkus

• Re: Supersonic Nozzle Flow Analysis
          Bill McEachern
          1. put a disc in the model such that it has a surface covering the exit plane. Set a surface goal for the pressure. And you need to disable it in component control.
          2. there is a parameter seek capability that would vary the inlet over a range that you specify until your goal at the out let pressure is achieved. If you know the flow rate it could simplify things a bit.