8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 10:12 PM by Habib Ghalamkari

Is SolidWorks' positioning of arrows really smart?

Habib Ghalamkari

How SolidWorks decides using Inside/Outside arrows for dimensions?

My Drawing templates are set to smart positioning of arrows.

2017-08-16_10-39-57.jpg

But here's what SolidWorks decides to do.

2017-08-16_10-51-21.jpg

I can't understand why SW use outside arrows for 40.0 (Vertical dimension). Is it really smart?

To show the difference on the same drawing with the same scale, I've added one more dimension and changed it to inside arrows manually.

To me, the inside arrows for this dimension (40.0) is much more elegant than outside.

Now my question:

Is there any option somewhere to control this positioning of arrows more logically? And tell SW I don't need so much space at both sides of the dimensions?

thank you.

• Re: Is SolidWorks' positioning of arrows really smart?
          Peter De Vlieger

I must admit I don't understand it either.

What I even find more troubling is that I can set down a dimension of 5000mm in the model and it still has the arrows 'smart' on the outside

but then when I make a drawing of it the dimension will be 'inside'.

so yes, I'm not a fan of the smart setting for direction of the arrows because I can see what's smart about them.

Doug Seibel

Take note of the values in the 3 boxes shown in you picture.

Uncheck the "Scale with dimension height.

Make sure the values in the top and middle box are still the same.

Reduce the value in the bottom box (the one that is currently 5.09mm) to be only 3mm.

8/17/17 - edited to add:  DO NOT check the "Scale with dimension height" box.  Leave that box UNCHECKED.  So...the "Scale with dimension height" box should be unchecked, the value in the top box should be 0.81mm, the value in the middle box should be 2.65mm, and the value in the lower box should be 3.0mm...and the "Scale with dimension height" box is left UNCHECKED.

This should give you the dimension placement behavior that you are wanting.

Habib Ghalamkari

Doug,

Thanks for your input.

I've tried what you say before. But I don't think the problem lies on these values.

Watch the attached video please.

First I put the dimension. The arrows are outside. I delete the dimension.

Then I open the option, uncheck Scale with dimension height and check it once again.

The values in three boxes are exactly the same. Nothing is changed.

Now if I place another dimension the arrows are inside this time.

Doug Seibel

In other words, you DID NOT follow my instructions.  I watched the video, in it you DID NOT follow my instructions.  If you leave the values the same, which they will be as long as you keep leaving the "Scale with dimension height" option checked, you will keep having the same problem.

I've attached a video as well.  As you can see by watching the video, if you actually follow my instructions it will do what you want it to do.  You simply have to change the value in the lower box (which is the "minimum length of arrow and line" that the system will allow before flipping the arrows to the outside) to a value that is only slightly more than the value in the middle box (which is the arrow length).  Whether you are using a dimensioning standard the puts the dimension -IN- the dimension line or ABOVE the dimension line, the value in that box drives when Solidworks will flip the arrows from inside to outside.  In other words, even though the ISO standard puts the dimension ABOVE the line, Solidworks will be flipping the arrows from inside to outside the same as it would if you were using the ANSI standard and having the dimension be -IN- the line with the line being broken.  I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense to you.

Habib Ghalamkari

Doug Seibel wrote:

You simply have to change the value in the lower box

I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense to you.

Thanks for the video and your complete explanation. It makes sense to me and I understand making the values a little bit smaller gives me the result.

But I was trying to explain that without changing the values I receive the result I need.

I simply un-tick that checkbox and tick it again. I Don't change any value. And I receive the result I need. The arrows are inside.

Watch my video once again please.

Our templates have that option (Scale with dimension height) ticked.

I open a template and dimension the position of a circle. Arrows are outside. I delete the dimension, un-tick the checkbox and tick it again. I DON'T change any value. Now if I add the same dimension, now the arrows are inside.

Simply unchecking and checking that option changes how the dimension tool behaves.

I was simply asking why it happens..........

Hope I'm clear enough...