4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 5:59 AM by Raymond Yau

Get specific weldment 'LENGTH' - loop/iterate

Raymond Yau

Hi,

I'm attemping to put together a macro which iterates through each part configuration and then loops through the cut-list in a part file to look within each cut-list item for a variable called 'LENGTH'. If the variable exists, then it will add it to the 'Configuration Specific' properties list (or just print it to the debug console for the time being).

Here's my irrational code thus far:

Sub main()

Dim swApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel         As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swFeat          As SldWorks.Feature

Dim swCustPropMgr   As SldWorks.CustomPropertyManager

Dim swConfig        As SldWorks.Configuration

Dim strValue        As String

Dim vConfNameArr    As Variant

Dim swConfigName    As String

Dim i               As Long

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swCustPropMgr = swModel.Extension.CustomPropertyManager(swConfigName)

vConfNameArr = swModel.GetConfigurationNames 'get full list of configurations

For i = 0 To UBound(vConfNameArr) 'Do this for all configurations

swConfigName = vConfNameArr(i)

Do While Not swFeat Is Nothing 'Do this for all cut-list items

Set swCustPropMgr = swFeat.CustomPropertyManager

If swCustPropMgr.Get4 = "LENGTH" Then 'if LENGTH exists then get value

swCustPropMgr.Get4 "LENGTH", False, Empty, strValue

Debug.Print (strValue) 'Print length valuen to console

Exit Do

End If

Set swFeat = swFeat.GetNextFeature

Loop

Next i

End Sub

I'm thinking of a boolean instead of an if statement (at the point highlighted). I know it doesn't make much sense at the moment.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Ray

• Re: Get specific weldment 'LENGTH' - loop/iterate
          Deepak Gupta

Try this

Option Explicit
              Dim swApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks
              Dim swModel         As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
              Dim swFeat          As SldWorks.Feature
              Dim swCustPropMgr   As SldWorks.CustomPropertyManager
              Dim swConfig        As SldWorks.Configuration
              Dim vConfNameArr    As Variant
              Dim swConfigName    As String
              Dim i               As Long
              Dim strValue(1)     As String
              Dim swBodyFolder    As SldWorks.BodyFolder

Sub main()
              Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
              Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc   
              Set swCustPropMgr = swModel.Extension.CustomPropertyManager(swConfigName)
              vConfNameArr = swModel.GetConfigurationNames 'get full list of configurations

For i = 0 To UBound(vConfNameArr) 'Do this for all configurations
              swConfigName = vConfNameArr(i)
              Set swFeat = swModel.FirstFeature
                  Do While Not swFeat Is Nothing
                      If swFeat.GetTypeName = "SolidBodyFolder" Or swFeat.GetTypeName = "CutListFolder" Or swFeat.GetTypeName = "SubWeldFolder" Then
                       Set swBodyFolder = swFeat.GetSpecificFeature2
                       Set swCustPropMgr = swFeat.CustomPropertyManager
                       swFeat.CustomPropertyManager.Get4 "LENGTH", False, strValue(0), strValue(1)
                       Debug.Print strValue(1)
                       End If
                  Set swFeat = swFeat.GetNextFeature
                  Loop
              Next i

End Sub

Raymond Yau

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for sorting out my code, I can now get an output 'LENGTH' value from the cut-list items. However, I noticed that in scenarios where bodies grouped into folders, Solidworks see them as a single body and only gives me a single Length output (See below):

To get around the problem, there's a couple of ways which I can think of doing this:

1. Use 'Get4' fucntion again to get the 'QUANTITY' value from CustomProps list, so then I can manipulate 'LENGTH' and 'QUANTITY' to get the total length and for other purposes.
              2. Another way I can think of doing this is to create sub-weldments of any grouped bodies (its the best and most ideal way for me since I have a lot of parts with existing sub-weldment bodies/folders). This should give me the breakdown of the output.

On the first approach, I tried casting strValue(1) to a Double so I can manipulate the 'Length' and ''Quantity' values later but it doesn't seem to like it very much and keeps throwing up a 'Type mismatch error' ===> CDbl(strValue(1)).

On the second approach, I created sub-weldments manually for each body, and it now successfully outputs the individual 'Length' values for each item/body, which is great! I had to remove the swFeat.GetTypeName = "SubWeldFolder" because it also produces duplicate Length values since there is now an extra Tier within the Cut-list Hierarchy.

But I guess my questions now would be:

1. What's the best way to create subweldments automatically without me having to go through all my parts, configs and cut-lists and manually create subweldments?
              2. And finally, the output strValue(1) variable from the Get4 function is still returns a string. How can I convert this to a Double so I can use it later for some logic? (I've tried CDbl(strValue(1)) and Convert.ToDecimal(strValue(1)).

Thanks again

John Alexander

How are you getting custom properties to be associated with a body? As far as I'm aware, the "custom property manager" is a document-level object that can be split into configurations. I'm not aware of it being a body-level deal. Are the bodies' lengths assigned to separate configurations in your model?

Also, at first glance, it doesn't look like swFeat is ever assigned a value so the macro will never enter the while loop.

It doesn't seem like you are looping over cut list items (which are Bodies) but rather Features in the part. You can loop over all features in a part, but this will include all bodies also. If you need specific bodies, you need to loop over the bodies.

2012 SOLIDWORKS API Help - GetBodies2 Method (IPartDoc)

Regarding your bolded lines, according to the documentation:

2012 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Get4 Method (ICustomPropertyManager)

swCustPropMgr.Get4 should return False if it fails.

You could do something like the following

if swCustPropMgr.Get4("LENGTH", False, Empty, strValue) then

'get4 succeeded, do what you need to with strValue

else

'get4 failed, handle that (or don't and jump to the next cut list item)

end if

Raymond Yau

Hi John,

Thanks for your input, I have a question about Visual Basic If Else statements in general. Say if I wanted to get the QUANTITY value only from a body which contains a LENGTH variable. It would be something such as:

if swCustPropMgr.Get4("LENGTH", False, Empty, strValue) then

swFeat.CustomPropertyManager.Get4("Quantity", False, Empty, strValue(1))

else

Continue '(to next item) I know in C# its continue or break, but not sure about VB.

end if

Would the above be a good way to go about doing this? Also, do I even need an else statement for the above?