6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 7:40 PM by 1-GU0ZA0

Hole Callout Annotation calling out wrong depth

I am currently retro-fitting all our product line with a .50 DIA .100 deep spotface to use as a color coding system on our machined chassis. Our chassis are all 1.37 DIA and this spotface is coming in the side of the chassis.

Whenever I dimension the spotface using the Hole Callout annotation it dimensions the depth wrong. Instead of a .100 depth I keep getting a smaller number. I have figured out what it is doing but do not know why it is doing it. It is dimensioning the hole depth from when the .50 DIA completely breaks the surface on the cylindrical part not when it first hits the surface.

I know I can override the dimension easily and have for the past 15 parts but it is getting increasingly annoying having to do this. I know this is hard to visualize so I am attaching a pic to better illustrate.

Does anyone know why it is doing this or having the same problem?

Any help is appreciated
        • Hole Callout Annotation calling out wrong depth
          What is in the Dimension Text box?

It should read...
            This is what is in the dimension text box

MOD-DIAM>DIM>HOLE-DEPTH>.053
            (I had to take out a couple< so the browser would not format the text)

So to make this read right I just change the .053 to .100

But why does it read .053 in the first place?
              David Edwards
              Because that's the depth of the full hole that you are calling out. There isn't an easy way to get this to be parametric (that I know of). You could try an offset cut-extrude to the depth that you want. Not sure if that will work or not.
                Dale Dunn
                If you created the spotface using an extruded circle, a "simple hole", or the legacy hole type in the hole wizard, the hole callout tool tries to figure out the hole dimensions by using the part geometry instead of extracting values from the feature parameters (dimensions). This drove me nuts for years.

Try using one of the other hole wizard holes, like the simple drill sizes, or screw clearance. Scroll down to "custom sizing" and set the drill point angle to 180°. I just tested this in '07 and it gives the correct depth on a drawing.

The main drawback to this method is that you will need to create a reference plane on the side of the cylinder, or get used to using 3DSketches to locate holes. If I had to do this many, I'd probably create a library part to streamline the whole process. It'll take some time to set up, but you'll have a robust link between the hole callout and the actual hole feature on all the drawings. Another drawback is that the note will use "Ø" instead of the spotface symbol unless you go mess around with calloutformat.txt.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Who knows how to get <"HOLE-DIAM"> and <"HOLE-SPOT"> to show correctly here on the forum? It's apparently trying to read whatever is in the <> as html.
                  Dale,

Thanks so much for the post.

Using the hole wizard solved my problem, and the parallel plane already exists on most of these parts so that won't be a problem. Appreciate the insight.