32 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 9:35 AM by Dennis Bacon

Rotate drawing view question

Jay Andrews
      I'm trying to rotate a drawing view. Is there a way to make a particular edge horizontal or vertical? In inventor you would right click the edge and click "make horizontal". Is there a similar method in SW?
        • Rotate drawing view question
          Wayne Tiffany
          You can rotate a certain angle, which may not be exactly what you want.

What I normally do is create a view on the model that is oriented the way you want it. Then use that view in the drawing view. You know, like pick the face and look normal to it. Then save that view.

WT
              Jay Andrews

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

You can rotate a certain angle, which may not be exactly what you want.

What I normally do is create a view on the model that is oriented the way you want it. Then use that view in the drawing view. You know, like pick the face and look normal to it. Then save that view.

WT

Thanks, but that still doesn't define the rotation with the edge that I want horizontal or vertical.
                  Wayne Tiffany

Jay Andrews wrote:

Thanks, but that still doesn't define the rotation with the edge that I want horizontal or vertical.

That was the point of the second part - you do the rotation in the existing model and save it as a defined view. Then use that view in the drawing. Go normal to a face that you care about and then if necessary, rotate with the arrow keys to spin it how you wish.

WT
                      Jay Andrews

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Jay Andrews wrote:

That was the point of the second part - you do the rotation in the existing model and save it as a defined view. Then use that view in the drawing. Go normal to a face that you care about and then if necessary, rotate with the arrow keys to spin it how you wish.

WT

But unless I'm missing something, isn't there no way in the model to rotate by making an edge vertical or horizontal either? I think I'd have the same problem in the model as I do in the drawing view.
                        • Re: Rotate drawing view question
                          Robert Weller

Doesn't look like it's possible. Perhaps you could raise an enhancement request?

I remember with Solid Edge when placing a base view, it loads a portal with the complete model view and gave you all the rotation and alignment tools from the modelling environment. You then manipulated the view until you got the one you want and went to "Use View" to place it on the drawing. There's been many occasions when I've missed that functionality.

Glenn Schroeder

Robert Weller:

I remember with Solid Edge when placing a base view, it loads a portal with the complete model view and gave you all the rotation and alignment tools from the modelling environment. You then manipulated the view until you got the one you want and went to "Use View" to place it on the drawing. There's been many occasions when I've missed that functionality.

You can do something very similar with SW.  When you activate the Model View function you can select "Current Model View" to place the drawing view in the same orientation as the model's current orientation.

Troy Peterson
                      Jay,

You can do this several ways;

Highlight the view you want to rotate, at the top of the viewport you will see a small group of icons at the top center on of them is a "rotate view" icon.

You can also right click a view and there is a "zoom/pan/rotate" fly out.

Just enter how many degrees you want the view to rotate, negative numbers work also.
                          Jay Andrews

Troy Spencer wrote:

Jay,

You can do this several ways;

Highlight the view you want to rotate, at the top of the viewport you will see a small group of icons at the top center on of them is a "rotate view" icon.

You can also right click a view and there is a "zoom/pan/rotate" fly out.

Just enter how many degrees you want the view to rotate, negative numbers work also.

Thanks, I do know how to rotate a view by a specified angle. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to specify which edge should go to horizontal or vertical. The angle I need is at least tricky to measure, and is repeating, so typing in an angle will result in less than perfect, which will ripple into my projected views.
                          Dale Dunn
                          IIRC there is an "align horizontal" or align vertical" somewhere under the tools menu that can orient a view using a pre-selected edge. I'll try to find it after SW finishes with this export job.

Edit: OK, found it. Select an edge in the view and go to tools, align drawing view and select that appropriate option.
                              Jay Andrews

Dale Dunn wrote:

IIRC there is an "align horizontal" or align vertical" somewhere under the tools menu that can orient a view using a pre-selected edge. I'll try to find it after SW finishes with this export job.

Edit: OK, found it. Select an edge in the view and go to tools, align drawing view and select that appropriate option.

I think that aligns a view to another view doesn't it?
                                  Jay Andrews
                                  Oh, I see, that's different than I thought you meant. But it still isn't rotating my view. Doesn't seem to do anything...I created a view, selected an edge, clicked tools, align drawing view, vertical edge, and nothing happened...
                                      Jay Andrews
                                      Dale, according to help, your suggestion should work, so thanks. Now if I can only figure out why it's not working the way help says it does!
                                          Dale Dunn
                                          Hmmm. I can think of a couple things that might cause trouble...

The edge you selected might actually be a spline that only looks like a straight edge. Or maybe circular edges and whatnot aren't supported. Maybe trace over it with a sketched line, and align on that? maybe you're selecting a sketched line and that's not supported?

The other thing that comes to mind is that maybe you aren't using a named view (that's what I tested on). Maybe you need to break the view alignment first? I have no idea if this would work on a relative view.

In the 7 or 8 years I've been aware of this tool, I think I've used it once. I think I remember another occasion where I wanted to use it, but it wouldn't work. I'm not sure what all the limitations and quirks are. Anyhow, it should work. Some investigation will hopefully reveal the problem in your situation. Otherwise, I think you'll have to go the route of inserting your assembly into a dummy assembly and doing the alignment there. Which would suck.
                                              Wayne Tiffany
                                              Here, watch this video to see what I am trying to say.

Basically, in the model I decide which edge I want to have horizontal on the bottom in my drawing view. Or whatever the criteria. So I opened this part, looked at the front view and showed that the part is obviously not square with the system. I decided that I wanted the angled edge on the LH side to be horizontal at the bottom of my drawing view. So I picked that face and then picked the "top" face to orient the part properly when I hit the Normal-to button. This puts me in a view that is looking straight at that bottom face. But, you say, that's not what I want to see in the view. Yes, but then I hit the down arrow 6 times (rotation step set to 15°) to rotate the model by exactly 90° relative to my normal-to-the-edge view. Or I could have hit Shift-down arrow to rotate 90° in one step. But I chose to go the other way so you could see the rotation. Then I saved a vew called tmp, but I usually call it Dwg, or For Drawing or something creative & descriptive. Insert the part into the drawing and pick that model orientation view.

Now, did that make more sense?

WT
                                      Paul Lemke
                                      You can also use a move/copy body feature in the model to with constraints to align/mate faces parallel to principal planes. This way when you draw a line in the drawing it is still horizontal. The bad thing about this is that if you move the body it will not link your features in the selection window and the feature tree so if you need to modify the design it will not let you select a feature and highlight it out from the tree unless you roll it back before the move/copy. This of course takes just as long as creating a view.
                                        Dennis Bacon

How about "Relative View".