5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2017 12:17 AM by Ryan Dark

Weldments of different cross sections welded together

Samson Phan

I'm working with weldments. I want to have a truss made of two different beams with different cross sections. It seems that the weldment option only lets you use one type. Do you open two weldments, each with different profiles? Does the mitering work out if you do it that way? Thanks very much!

• Re: Weldments of different cross sections welded together
          Andreas Rhomberg

You can have different members within one weldment, select a new structural member.

Check in to the Tutorials, they will get you started with the Basics.

Tom Gagnon

To add to that, I believe that it is only possible to use Trim/Extend command upon weldments which are contained in the same part.

This applies to structural members of different profiles, as well as separate structural members with same profile, but must still be in the same component (part).

Trim/Extend, however, will not angle miter the joints between different profiles in the same manner as one single structural member's controls with the purple dot nodes at intersections.

I can imagine a tedious geometry applied at each miter to create a reference plane between Beams and apply custom Split or Trim/Extend to achieve a true miter at the joints, and not just trim the smaller beam up to the unmodified larger beam.

Ryan Dark

Hi Samson,

Since we're in the Simulation forum, are you intending on constructing this weldment model then analyze it with beam elements in Simulation?  I ask because for the purposes of Simulation you will likely want to leave all weldment members untrimmed so the analysis side of things doesn't have to do funky magic when it is meshing.

Samson Phan

Thanks all for replying. I am using it in a simulation.  I want to try to select truss elements that need more material and thicken them through a different welent instance using a different cross section.

i will need to miter all the tubes in solid works because I'll be using those geometries for actual cuts.

Ryan Dark

Samson,

The model you design to be built 99 times out of 100 differs from the model you use for FEA.  This is to ensure that the FEA model is 1) able to run fast (not really a concern for beam elements) and 2) accurately represents your design under load within the limitation of the FEA software.  In your case, by mitering the ends of beams you may find issues where beams do not full extend to joints and are connected to those joints by rigid connectors.  in your case the un-mitered model will be a better FEA representation than a mitered model.