19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 3:27 PM by Jim Steinmeyer

How to fix errors that are not errors?

Bruce Secovich

Have an assembly with two configuration, with a couple of virtual parts (tubes) for either configuration.  The tubes suppress or not based on the assembly configuration chosen.  When I choose the left configuration, everything is copacetic except SolidWorks is reporting an error (red colored parts).  When I check what is wrong, no errors...  When I open the parts, no errors...

What do I do with the errors that are not an errors?  <queue Final Jeopardy music>

• Re: How to fix errors that are not errors?
          Dennis Dohogne

What is "I've seen this before and it is certainly aggravating?"

You might try these things:

1. Ctrl Q to force a rebuild.  Since there is nothing really wrong this should force SWX to realize it and be all happy again.

2. Suppress the unsuppress the component(s) or the mates associated with them.  This is the same logic as above.

Is there some history to these parts, i.e., are you on SWX2017 and these parts were created in '16 or earlier?  Sometimes it takes recreating the assembly of these parts to really fix this.  Suppress the parts and then insert new copies of them and mate them accordingly and see if that solves the issue.

Let us know what finally does the trick.

Bruce Secovich

Thank you for your suggestions.

1 & 2 done before I posted.

Your third point is where I would go if I had the time and energy to bother with this; this assembly does indeed predate '17 (and '16).  However, I don't have enough time in the day to do my regular job let alone act as an unpaid product tester for SolidWorks.  Since things appear to be working, aside from an annoying notice, this will go on the pile, but it will be at the bottom.

Dennis Dohogne

Bruce Secovich,

It is hard to see in the image posted, but it looks like the highlighted part is made from a single feature, a sweep, and that it is dependent on something external to its own part file.  Is it possible that in the configuration where that part is unsuppressed the feature it is dependent on is suppressed?  Can you just break the dependency of this sweep and make the part stand-alone?

John Stoltzfus

Finding errors when they are elusive is troublesome and for some reason 2016 - 2017 were the best in hiding what is wrong IMO - here is what I do, (and you'll probably be in the same boat),  Edit the part and edit the first feature Sketch and edit the sketch plane, (often times you need to re-select the sketch plane or face) if the sketch plane is ok then you need to edit the sketch and check the sketch relations/sketch entities with the Display/Delete Relations Icon 

That is a lot of work if you have a lot of parts, but that would be the first place I'd look, follow the Forest Fire in the Feature Tree and outen the flame one at a time.

Bruce Secovich

All in the thread above,  I am sure that the problem lies with an assembly constraint in the virtual part.  I am not interested in deleting and rebuilding constraints this way.  Note, that many times, if you have a sweep attached this way (with a concentric line to cylinder), you can later edit the assembly, move one of the anchoring parts, and the sweep will not update.  Not even with ctrl Q.   You need to delete the line to cylinder constraint and recreate it.

Not the case here.  The tubes actually updates quite well in the assembly.

I am sick of spending hours of my day fixing things that were working at some time in the past but now mysteriously break.  Been a problem with Solidworks for 15 years.  Instead, they insist on changing the file structure each major release, forcing their user base to update old parts, assemblies and drawings to work with the latest release.  Every time there are issues like this.

Matt Peneguy

Have you tried sending the files to your VAR?  If you are on subscription, make it their problem.  Oh, and ONE and TWO!!!!

Dennis Dohogne

Bruce Secovich  wrote:

All in the thread above, I am sure that the problem lies with an assembly constraint in the virtual part. I am not interested in deleting and rebuilding constraints this way. Note, that many times, if you have a sweep attached this way (with a concentric line to cylinder), you can later edit the assembly, move one of the anchoring parts, and the sweep will not update. Not even with ctrl Q. You need to delete the line to cylinder constraint and recreate it.

Not the case here. The tubes actually updates quite well in the assembly.

I am sick of spending hours of my day fixing things that were working at some time in the past but now mysteriously break. Been a problem with Solidworks for 15 years. Instead, they insist on changing the file structure each major release, forcing their user base to update old parts, assemblies and drawings to work with the latest release. Every time there are issues like this.

-------------------------------------------------------

I gave your post a Like, not for what has happened to you (and a lot of us), but because you are speaking up about it.  If more people expressed their aggravation over the bugs in SWX maybe corporate would pay more attention and do something about it.

. . . . Maybe.

Paul Salvador

(Final Jeopardy response)... What is dependent and made in another assembly for $100?

Bruce Secovich

OK, so I tried all the usual tricks to fix this.  I actually rebooted a couple of times.  No joy.  After all your responses motivated me, I figured "the heck with it",  I will go through the agony to stamp out the "error".  I steeled myself that I would go so far as to delete the virtual parts and recreate them.  I open the assembly and the error is gone. 

Solidworks trolled me but good.