4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 12:22 PM by John Koos

SSP or Layout Sketch

John Koos

Matt, when it comes to SSP keep it simple. You only need one SSP. It should be the first thing in the assembly, in its own folder. It should also be the first thing in every part it's being used in (in a folder). By keeping it in a folder at the top of the tree these calculations are made first, in the background.

You can make many sketches in the SSP and many planes.

When you update the SSP you're updating all the parts and assy's it's used in rather than jumping back and forth between all the parts and assy's.

• Re: SSP or Layout Sketch
          Grant Mattis

Layout Sketch is a very specific type of sketch in SW. I would never use a Layout Sketch for a SSP due to their limitations.

John Koos

Well that's as clear as mud.

I'm trying to help Matt, but sorry about your limitations.

Grant Mattis

John Koos sorry to jump on your thread and be negative. I saw it, had a minute and needed to comment to make sure everyone knows SSP and Layout Sketch are not the same. You can read a past discussion on Layout Sketches here: Utility of Layout vs a sketch? It is an old discussion but almost all of what was discussed there still applies.

Skeleton Sketch Part (SSP) is almost always the better direction to go. I might use a Layout Sketch if I only needed a single assembly or wanted to layout a bunch of points in a single plane.

Hopefully that makes it a little more clear.

Grant

John Koos

Thanks Grant, I looked at the discussion "utility of layout vs a sketch". More bla bla bla. I didn't know they tried to make this a function. Does anyone keep it simple anymore! I'm talking about method. Aim small miss small. Start good finish good. I always told my boys how to stack wood so it wouldn't kill your mother if she got wood on her own. Don't start throwing it on the pile, put it where it belongs and the stack won't fall down.

This is how I do it:

-create a part named "layout sketch" or "SSP" whatever works, 220, 221

-create sketches and planes in this part

-this part is NOT revolved or extruded, it's just sketches and planes

-create another part (which will be a physical/actual part)

-insert part named "layout sketch"

-place this part in it's own folder, this should be the first thing in the tree

-do "save as" for other parts needed

-use sketches from the "layout sketch" to revolve or extrude

-always refer back to the "layout sketch" for origin, plane or what ever

-create assy

-insert part "layout sketch"

-place "layout sketch" in it's own folder

-insert physical/actual parts

-in my case (bearings), mate to origin. bataboom batabing, done

-in your case mate to your needs

-BUT! If you drew things relative to origin you should be able to just mate to origin in most cases

-look at John Stoltzfus, he places furniture in a room but he's consistent in what he does and how he does it

I hope this helps Matt