5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 11:23 AM by Andrew Terry

automatic rebuild in assembly on featuremanager.

Marcin Gorwa

Hi, I have question about automatic rebuild in assembly on featuremanager.

Till SW 2017 if you right click on assembly (in tree) in featuremanager, in context menu you can find option "Suspend automatic rebuild".

SW 2017 don't have this option and it was things that keep real suspend automatic rebuild. 

I have active in SW option in large assembly suspend automatic rebuld but it don't works corectly. Because even if i open sketch and close without changes, SW will rebuild. In previes version of SW when you use option from featuremenager it was ok. 

Maybe some one know solution, how restor thise option. 

Thanks for help

• Re: automatic rebuild in assembly on featuremanager.
          Iain McEwen

Hi Marcin,

When working with large assemblies, you are able to suspend automatic rebuild if you select this option and enable Large Assembly Mode

2017-08-14_21-32-06.png

Marcin Gorwa

Hi Iain,

I'm working in mode large assemblies and have always this option on.

Im agree it stops most rebuilds but not always, and when i'm change someting in one part SW try open other and rebuild.

If I used large assemblies mode + suspend automatic rebuild ( from futuremanager) SW really don't rebuild anything.

Genetally I design appliance creating parts in context eatch other parts or assemblies, and maybe this is problem

John Stoltzfus

Marcin Gorwawrote:

Genetally I design appliance creating parts in context eatch other parts or assemblies, and maybe this is problem

If you are creating parts in context of each other there are specific rebuild rules that apply with SolidWorks, which you may already know.  One is you always feed information down the feature tree and never pull information up, in other words the top part can control all or some or one feature in multiple or just one part.  Where things get tricky is if you have the lower parts controlling features in the upper parts in the feature tree.   In context modeling can be made trouble free and at the same time have a parametric assembly model, by using a Skeleton Sketch Part (SSP) in each assembly and that SSP can control everything, however the more complex it is the slower your models are. 

One thing you can do if you have 2017 if you don't want the parts to rebuild you can adjust the yellow bar to lock your model... (once your design is completed)

Iain McEwen

Hi Marcin,

It will likely be the external references, as it becomes part of the way they resolve.

What you could do is enable the freeze bar and use this in parts, preventing them from rebuilding and the geometry itself is just used.

Andrew Terry

I have this same question, where did this feature go? When changing multiple dimensions, or replacing parts, I don't want the assembly to rebuild right away. I want to suspend the rebuild, do my changes, and then turn rebuild on. I am disappointed that SolidWorks would "improve" a program by removing a feature.