60 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 7:30 PM by Ruben Rodolfo Balderrama

CERTIFICATION....WHAT DOES IT REALLY DO FOR YOU?

David Matula

What does getting certified with SolidWorks really do for you?  
      Is finding a better paying Job easier?

Is telling the boss that you need a raise and getting one better?

Why should you get certified with SolidWorks?

my edit....a reason why the boss will want to help you get certified.....and why they would be willing to send some people to SolidWorks World........

Why not have the certification mean just a little more.  When I went to get mine the boss gave me the day off without pay.  That was about it.  Ended up with a few jobs that were not even close to using SolidWorks.

The VAR's have a big thing on getting their guys certified in all the different ways to use the program and in customer support, is there more of an incentive other than being able to tell potential customers hay we have 99% of our employees certified and the one guy we just hired is going to testing tomorrow.

Hear is an idea...why not give the employers an incentive to get us certified.  Give a % of the service subscription off for each person that has a certification.  Then have special free testing at SolidWorks world, so that there is more of a reason to send people to that.

• Re: CERTIFICATION....WHAT DOES IT REALLY DO FOR YOU?
          J. Mather

How much experience do you have?

Lots of experience?  Not as great a value.

Little or no experience?  Just might keep your resume from the circular file - get you that interview for that job.

Chris Saller

I have seen job openings that that indicate "CSWP is a plus", and other similar wording.

This tells me that it would 'help' in looking for a job.

Jeff Holliday

Personal satisfaction of measuring your ability to solve problems in limited time and to gage what your deficiencies may be when challenged.

Todd Blacksher

I see it as a way of pushing yourself to the next level of SOLIDWORKS knowledge.

Even if an employer isn't interested in a certification, they should be interested in a person that is willing to push themselves to the next level.

... and you get special access to a pretty amazing party at SOLIDWORKS World every year!

Paul Salvador

I don't have one...  (I could've been a contender)

3gif.gif

David Matula

So why not have the certification mean just a little more.  When I went to get mine the boss gave me the day off without pay.  That was about it.  Ended up with a few jobs that were not even close to using SolidWorks.

The VAR's have a big thing on getting their guys certified in all the different ways to use the program and in customer support, is there more of an incentive other than being able to tell potential customers hay we have 99% of our employees certified and the one guy we just hired is going to testing tomorrow.

Hear is an idea...why not give the employers an incentive to get us certified.  Give a % of the service subscription off for each person that has a certification.  Then have special free testing at SolidWorks world, so that there is more of a reason to send people to that.

Todd Blacksher

I believe that you can still take a certification test for free if your company is on subscription (it used to be 1 test per seat of subscription).

As with any certification, people and employers are going to have a wide variety of different opinions on the value of the certification.

Most of the people that I know that have certifications did it just to challenge themselves.

It is what you make of it, but when I see it on a resume, it tells me "this person wanted to go the extra step to stand out from the others."

todd

Rick McDonald

If I remember correctly, you can take the CSWE exam at SolidWorksWorld for free.

I don't know that any others are available for free at SWW.

As John Stoltzfus and Todd Blacksher said above, if you are on subscription you can get one per seat per year for free.

I found that out just before my last subscription ran out and managed to get the credit allocated to my account for the CSWP.

Then, a couple weeks ago, my VAR did a webinar geared toward getting certified and watching that also gave a certificate for a free CSWP, so now I have credit for 2 CSWP exams on my account.  The benefit of this is that if I take and fail any (or hopefully not all) of the 3 CSWP segments, I still have the credit to take the segment(s) again - Free.

I have been studying to take the CSWP and intend to do it in the next month or two.

I don't expect to get anything extra from my company for getting certified but if times get tough and I need to find another job, it could help. Anyone can tell a prospective boss that they know how to do something, the certification helps back those words up.

As has been said by several people above, it's more of a personal accomplishment and some employers will see it as you put in extra effort to learn and enhance your abilities - and the recognition of that will be more of where the job offers or raises are likely to come from.

Also, as Chris Saller said, some employers may consider it a plus - and also some may require certain certifications.

I have also heard of some that will base raises or pay levels on having some certifications.

Right now, for me, it is a personal accomplishment that I want to achieve.  Taking the tests and the studying for them is also showing me where I have deficiencies in my abilities or knowledge and I have also realized, in my studying for this, many things that I didn't now or use as well as I thought I did.  One of the best ways to realize that you don't know as much as you think you do is to take a test and see if you measure up to what you yourself expected.

John Stoltzfus

My experience it never came up in a job, might in the future, but what makes a difference is showing them what you can do in the trenches on a daily basis.  The only thing for me is more of a personal accomplishment and I would love to take them all, but so far only have one to show for...  Our VAR gives us one per subscription per year and I just didn't take the time to take the rest...

Matt Peneguy

John,

Even though I posted something that may seem contradictory to your post above.  I completely agree, willingness to get in and get the job done trumps all letters after someone's name.  But all things being equal, if someone has sought out the CSWP or CSWE, it shows that they put in extra work to get that certification.  Did they do that for self-improvement or because they wanted it on their resume?  That's what the job interview may or may not sort out.  And I guess that is what this thread is all about.  If the person is like you and seeks out the certification because that's the type of person they are, trying to improve their abilities.  Then, that's the person I'd want to hire.

Kelvin Lamport

Certification in any 2D or 3D 'design' software merely shows that you know how to use that software to make virtual shapes. It does not prove one's ability to design an actual manufacturable & workable product.

Having said that I'm sure there are lots of HR people who would show favour to people who have extra certifications.

Paul Risley

As a small employer based machine/job shop there is no benefit on our end. Bigger facilities where the design department is 20 + users it would help weed out the people not capable of using the core functions of the software.

If someone came here for an interview and was certified I would not have to worry about them understanding the basics of the software, but it tells me nothing about their mechanical ability. We have had some "homegrown" designers here, machinists looking for a change from the shop floor. They did pretty well once they got over some of the pitfalls of designing.

The "need" or benefit of this certificate truly lies in what job market you are in and whether or not you want the satisfaction of accomplishing this task to get it. I plan on taking it at some point just to test myself. Just like I plan on delving into FEA analysis at some point in my life. It never hurts to challenge yourself beyond the norm, and who knows you might interview for a job where that was the edge that you needed to get your foot in the door.

Mattew Stafford

Anybody know what a "Subscription Service" customer is?

Woody Delcorso

Yeah, I am new at a job (Mechanical Engineer) and trying to learn Solidworks and one it is frustrating, two would like to get some sort of certification.

Thanks for all the comments, it has been good to read everyone's opinions and get a conciseness sentiment.

Woody

Mathew Li

What is the Certification with Solidworks? Is it a kind of international test ?

Sorry, I`m a Solidworks noob.....I haven`t  heard of it in China..

Daniel Benterman

You get a logo to put on your stationary surely that's all you need!

Todd Blacksher

Certification will get you into the local paper -

How AWESOME is this:  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article170513627.html

Huge Congratulations to Jason Ledon for this accomplishment!

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

In no particular order:

1. The women! Oh, they'll swarm you with adorations and affections (mine haven't shown up yet, I think they must be stuck in traffic or something).
                                            2. Forces you to get out of your SW comfort zone and really explore what is possible in SW. Few of us will ever use all of SW, but I bet you will pick up some new tidbits for what you're currently doing.
                                            3. Allows you to stand out (or at least keep parity) with your competition.
                                            4. If SW is part of your job/career then I would say it's a professional requirement.
                                            5. It allows you to better help others with SW.
                                            6. Generally, your processes for modelling and such will improve.
                                            7. Whatever it's worth may be to others, it's still a definitive and positive statement about you.
                                            8. You will have something to gauge how well/poorly your current employer responds to such initiatives.
                                            9. It keeps you in the continuing edu mode (for SW or anything else) so you don't get too stale. Complacency creeps in steadily.
                                            10. Your brain needs real exercise, especially if you watch television (seriously, don't watch TV [and don't report me for typing that]).

Cheers,

Kevin

Joel Gilbert

David, for me personally the benefit is 100% on my end. I like to have measurable goals to work towards and certifications are very concrete "road markers" that help me define where I'm at and whether I am progressing continually. My employer doesn't have a policy in place for pay raises specifically for certification, but overall capabilities, work ethic, etc. are taken into account. I am the design and drafting manager so I'm expected to be competent and knowledgeable. I use certifications as goals for my drafting team, but they are primarily a tool that helps me to see what areas they may be struggling with so I can help them keep learning.

Here a few of the biggest reasons I have continued to work towards higher certifications:

1. Building confidence: If you aren't sure whether you are good at SolidWorks, don't take my word for it, take the SolidWorks Certification team's word for it!
                                              2. Identifying areas to focus on improvement in a safe environment: production environments tend to be rather unforgiving as mistakes cost money. A missed answer on a certification test hurts our ego but provides low- or no-cost feedback on what we do well and what we do poorly.
                                              3. Simulated pressure teaches us to stick to our process and game plan rather than panicking. This is invaluable when redesigning on the fly with a customer and/or sales engineer looking over your shoulder!
                                              4. Broadening your knowledge base: each time I've prepped for a certification exam I've run across something that I hadn't noticed before which I was able to incorporate into my design processes. For example, I don't use surfacing at all for our engineered products, but I often have to repair surfaces on imported parts. I used to get frustrated because I wasn't confident in what the surfacing tools did, but since practicing and researching what each tool does I am much more effective and confident working with surfaces.
                                              5. Developing focus and attention to design intent and details: One of the most important things I tell my team to keep in mind is to watch the details and focus on the INTENT of the design while also paying close attention to details. This is an invaluable skill for a designer.
                                                David Matula

I did find a benefit...if you make it to SolidWorks world you get some VIP treatment....whish that there was more....

Ryan McVay

Any chance Solidworks will be creating the following certification:

CSWWP: Certified SolidWorks Workaround Professional. This certification ensures you understand all the workarounds to the existing software bugs.

Dave Bear

Certification means everything!

Insane.jpg

It keeps people away from me!

Dave.

Brad Meador

For me, the certs are measurable benchmarks as mentioned before. My employer doesn't use it for bonuses or raise (although I have suggested it for future hires) but I like to push myself to be the best at the software for my location and my group of engineers so they can lean on me for any help. Luckily for me, the certs are free for us so the cost is a non-issue. It is really up to whether you feel the exams are necessary for you or not. I would ask, why not?

David Matula

a recent question came up and a non user was looking for some advice.  it got me thinking that heck go look up a cswp that is local and take them to lunch and pick their brain.  So I went to the SolidWorkd web and thought getting to the  SOLIDWORKS® Certification Center

would have been easy.

One would thing that going threw the trouble and time to get the certification that if you wanted to be found it would be easier for people to find you.  CSWP on linked in.  On the SolidWorks sight but buried under loads of info on how to get your cswp instead of being able to find one.

We may complain about stability we may get upset about crashes.  but we are dedicated to the software.  We have sent in enhancement request, and improvement request and bug reports.  We are the ones out here trying to help others since the help file fell into disarray.  I would like to see a nice big link on the SolidWorks Web page that says find a certified user.  Now the hundreds of us may have to go and change a setting that says we are open for outside contact or not but I for one would not mind.  We may be some of your best sales people out there.  What do you suggest.....and I want some of the best tools available to do a job and if someone ask me what I think I am going to tell them what they should get if they would want me to come and work for them.

Not only do we know about the tools we know how to set stuff up to be able to make the software run and make changes smoothly.  We may be asking for greater compensation when employers come a knocking but if SolidWorks tell them what the certification means and what they should get when contacting one of the great SolidWorks users of the world...

Bruno Caixa

SW certifications were key to my career as a CAD user / Draftsman. I started learning SW in technical school and became my videogame. I spent the holidays studying, doing tutorials, modeling things for 2D drawings, just for the pleasure of seeing things done. On one of those days of searching, I found the certification program and started studying for it. My first was the CSWP when I was seventeen. At this point I was only 2 years old using the tool.

The first impact was at the same technical school mentioned earlier. CAD was a subject at the end of the program, but I started to study it at first, alone, and when I had to do it, it was already internationally certified, and there was no reason to stay in the classroom as a student. I used to spend class time helping my teacher apply the lesson to my friends and learning from them. Considering that I was studying for the college exam, not spending time on yet another subject made me more relaxed for other studies.

The second impact was when I got my first job. I applied for an internship in the maintenance department of a heavy equipment company. Luckily, they were starting to develop an industry in parallel. When they saw that I was a CSWP, I got the job. I planned to get an internship and I got a job. If I were just an eighteen-year-old guy who had SW in technical school, I could not. Being a certified professional was essential to this.

In addition to technical school, I have never done any training in VARs. At the beginning of my studies, I did not have the money for this and I had to learn it myself. Searching, trying, exploring. This behavior made me successful when I had to face difficult situations. As I did not have a training certificate, being a CSWP was my degree. Every time I had to prove that I really knew SW, the certifications spoke louder than other trainings from other institutions.

In addition, I have had better job interview results from the CSWP. In my current job, I was fighting for Drafstman's position against guys with much more years of experience and so, here I am.

Another plus is having cool pictures to put in your emails and nice and exclusive t-shirts to buy!

Every time I meet an experienced person who is not a certified user, I talk to him or her to do it, based on what I have said before. Sometimes these people have a lot more knowledge than I do and may have a worse result in a job interview due to a piece of paper (a PDF document, to be true). Most of the people I talked to did not know about the program, and were very excited after meeting it.

This year I am planning to stop my abstinence from certification. Undergraduate studies and the activities of my last job (welding, metal plates and drawing tools) allowed me to get only these CSWPs. In a new job, I faced situations where I used surfaces, and now I'm in the middle of my studies to get CSWP-SU by the end of the year and CSWE in the next.

Sorry for the length of the text. SW and Certifications are responsible for what I have in my life so far. I always get very excited when I talk about it.

1 person found this helpful
                                                            Ruben Rodolfo Balderrama

Your resume or CV (know how) it's the only what you need to have in good health, 12 year ago made my designs in Mechanical Desktop, 9 years ago on Solidworks, 3 year ago in Unigraphics and now on Solidworks again.

A CAD system only represents a design that is conceived in your mind, how to do it and the way that can be manufactured depends only on you, not on a CAD system.