49 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 9:15 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

Script that clones a part

Lucas Silva

Since this ***** software, unlike absolutely any other CAD in the world, disregarding the wishes of an infinite amount of users, can't save an older version/format, I request now:

Could someone make a script that records all datums, sketches, features, and their values from SW2016, and rebuilds the part on a previous software that supports scripts (like 2013) ?

No advanced features needed

This script would help many

PS: The Backworks Add-In is a complete *****. No need to recommend it

• Re: Script that clones a part
          Matt Finley

Wow. That should get you some help. Or a swift kick in the pants. My bet's on the latter.

Because I've been this frustrated and gone down the same abusive path before I'm going to help you (but don't be surprised if you alienated about half the users here with your little rant): There are many, many reasons why Solidworks cannot/will not create backwards compatibility.

Among the most obvious are the massive sizes the solid models AND the Solidworks executables would become if they can put new features into old versions.  Note I said "if" they can do it. Personally, I don't think they can do it. And more importantly, I don't think I'd want to see it anyway because it would just slow everything down and file sizes would be un-manageable.

Try importing the model and use Recognize Features. That should get you close on your most basic parts. Complex parts will likely not fully recognize but hey, it's better than nothing.

unlike absolutely any other CAD in the world

Please list some examples of programs that do this. I can't think of any and I'd like to see what they do to allow older programs to open files with features that do not exist in that version.

Lucas Silva

"Please list some examples of programs that do this"

I meant to use a hyperbole figure

But some have a fully implemented built in option, or a workaround that doesn't lose features

(AutoCad, Parametric CREO, Rhinoceros, Siemens parasolid, Dassault CATIA... not to mention non-engineering oriented CADs, or other natures, like circuitry.Those are - not hyperbolically speaking - infinite)

"my little rant" [???]

You clearly don't navigate on these forums much to read the complaints

Anyway

I read the full explanation about the conversion issue, but I'm not talking about CONVERTING the part, but instead, MIMIC the part, as attempted by the BACKWORKS add in (the addin sucks! But the idea behind it is brilliant and extremely lightweight)

Feature recognition ALWAYS crashes on SW2013

I swear: it NEVER worked. I can't even uncheck methods of recognition. It crashes on any PC

S. Casale

If you really need to work with newer models in older software, save the whole thing (assembly and parts) as a parasolid - then open it in an older version. It feature reca-nize, and blam!

Next time start our your post with a Hi.

Matt Finley

AutoCAD does allow you to open newer version files in older versions of AutoCAD but only for up to 3 years (versions? been a while!). Beyond that the same limits apply as Solidworks (file size and feature transferability). This is largely because AutoCAD does not make major upgrades to their software and even AutoCAD won't be able to go back to 2013 (LOL).

Autodesk does not let you go back previous versions at all (except to load AEC content (walls, doors, windows etc.) which you won't be able to edit anyway).

I can't speak for CREO or Rhino, but Catia is by Dassalt (same folks that do Solidworks) and I have not seen anyone open a newer version file in an older version of Catia (I'm in a CAD/CAM group that constantly asks for other members to open and save files to older versions of Catia so they can open them) so I'm gonna call B.S. on that one unless you can prove it.

"Parasolid" is not a CAD system. It's a solid model file type. It will open in just about anything but it's not going to have any history. Feature Recognition should work better on parasolids than others because (I belive) it's a Dassalt creation.

So again I ask; which CAD systems let you open newer versions of files in older versions of software...?

You clearly don't navigate on these forums much to read the complaints

I see plenty of complaints here. Many of them, like yours, are largely misplaced and out of line and are likely a direct result of lack of skill with the software or lack of understanding about how software works (hopefully the latter in your case).

There are very real limits to the features you can pack in a file type and expect to be able to import from previous versions of software, and for you to call the software ***** or **** or ******* ** **** due to something that is largely out of their control is childish at best.

Lucas Silva

Want evidence? Here it is:

www.google.com

Beyond that, I'll turn my eyes

If you think your Tu Quoque sophism so much attempts to break my point, not my problem

About being out of their control, we all know its false. It's a lack of WILL (or a buy-the-latest-version strategy). Don't need privileged information to know that

There are many suggestions beyond mine to circunvent the problem without messing with the software; without even involving it on the equation

Edit.:

OK, I got a breath of favor doing

Parasolid: Siemens PLM Software

How do I convert CATIA V5 R21 files to V5 R20? - GrabCAD

Matt Finley

That was the first place I looked (google.com). They could not provide any info for major CAD software that provides backwards compatibility. If you know of even one, please do share. If you do not, please quit pretending it's so damned common because it's not.

From your link:

Parasolid is the world’s leading 3D solid modeling component software used as the foundation of Siemens PLM’s NX and Solid Edge products. Parasolid is also licensed to many of the leading independent software vendors (ISVs) on a level play field basis. These ISVs develop hundreds of Parasolid-based applications in the product design and analysis market space..

As I said, Parasolid is not a CAD software. It's a stinkin' file type that's licensed to CAD software developers. I even went so far as to highlight the key words for you so you might understand it.

From your other link:

If you select a CATPart document, the PartBody is      copied and pasted      AsResultWithLink to the target document.
                                 Open Bodies are not converted as a whole. Only the feature defined as an      external view in the Generative Shape Design workbench is copied      and pasted AsResultWithLink      to the target document. This also means that even if a Generative Shape      Design feature is created directly under a part body, the feature will not      be converted.

Really? That's what you came up with? LOL!!!

This is a feature in the most current version that you can create older version files with. If you have Catia 20 you CANNOT convert Catia 21 files.

About being out of their control, we all know its false. It's a lack of WILL

It's not a matter of having the "will" to do it, it's more a matter of the software is ONLY PART OF THE EQUATION. To do this kind of thing would require a) massively larger files which we do not have the ability to manage currently, b) operating systems to not change/update and c) hardware developers to not change/update. Among other things.

So with that in mind, sounds like you would be happy in an 8 bit world where nothing ever improves. I've wasted enough time on you. If you're not willing to face FACTS then we're done here. Have a nice time with your little rants.

Lucas Silva

quit pretending it's so damned common

Its I.R.R.E.L.E.V.A.N.T. if it's common or not.

If the competition is swimming on escrement, you won't go and jump on the kennel

b) operating systems to not change/update and c) hardware developers to not change/update. Among other things.

As I stated somewhere, and it doesn't take a genius to know: Has nothing to do with the OS or hardware

The language (C++, .net, etc) evolves. Variables and functions change, but very few break functionality.

If solidworks is re-coded every release, its not for reasons of adaptation, but of implementation of new features

sounds like you would be happy in an 8 bit world where nothing ever improves

Joke of the year: "Improves"

You don't read the forum. That's conclusive. Cause all I see is people asking how to disable the "improvements", or how to workaround bugs that are created every new "improved" version (or propagated since version 1 of the software)

John Stoltzfus

Lucas Silva wrote:

As I stated somewhere, and it doesn't take a genius to know: Has nothing to do with the OS or hardware

The language (C++, .net, etc) evolves. Variables and functions change, but very few break functionality.

So if it's not hard why don't you attempt it  

Lucas Silva

Will dassault open the code so I can operate on ?

Will they pay me what they pay their developers (or twice, since I'll need a coding course)?

We shall not go thinking that they use the same code writers from 1995 (pros that know the code by heart, but don't improve the software after persistent attempts because they learnt its not possible) - that's the view everyone here has.

John Stoltzfus

These guys have email and the corporate center has a physical address, so try there, asking us won't get you anywhere but will only p iss people off with your comments, just my 2cents - you can't just have a Great Day - you need to make it a Great Day and that's what I have in mind doing....   Cheers

S. Casale

Hey guy.

This isn't the place to air your angst to others about their help. You want to vent, then vent about the software. Be done with it and move on to a constructive tone.

You keep making statements without merit or need, "Trust me: a russian hacker (far from my career) would make this solution in one month."

Come on.

I think the best answer you are going to get in this case is Glen's highlighted provided on 8/8/2017 at 16:39.

Christian Chu

Since this ***** software, unlike absolutely any other CAD in the world, disregarding the wishes of an infinite amount of users, can't save an older version/format, I request now:

Could someone make a script that records all datums, sketches, features, and their values from SW2016, and rebuilds the part on a previous software that supports scripts (like 2013) ?

As some already pointed out, what software company(ies) want to do that (except Microsoft as they get extra $$$ from diff. sources) - they all want you to upgrade to the next version and it's fair since all wants to make money too - you wouldn't want to live the rest of you life on one year salary, would you?

Deepak Gupta

Lucas Silva wrote:

There may be a possibility to do it but still there would issues down the line. And it's not only SOLIDWORKS that doesn't favor saving in older version but all major 3d tools do same i.e. do not support saving in older version. Saving in lower version sounds easy but not easily doable if you go on other side of table. Not only there are software restrictions but programming language and OS are also major restrictions.

For e.g. SOLIDWORKS had to pull the plug from 32 bit systems because of the Microsoft stopping the support. And SOLIDWORKS can not do anything for it other than upgrading their program to work on 64 bit system which means lot of changes in the codes for newer version.

John Stoltzfus

Unfortunately SW releases are loaded with bugs, then you get a hacker to come up with another program that can read older and newer versions of a software and that is loaded with other bugs and when these two bugged software get together I can just imagine the "Mutiny Bugs" coming alive and destroying my entire hard drive and like a horror movie, start crawling out of the box and eating everything in their path - Then you need to listen to Country Music backwards and you get everything back, my house, my dog, my truck, my wife, my kids, my stuff........................

Dave Bear

Hey!

Why won't my VHS recorder play any of my DVD's.................

Dave.

Lucas Silva

Here's a 12 Megabyte Add-In that refutes many of the arguments here

Saving into an older version of Solidworks | BACKWORKS

Before you go saying it works like a crªp (it does*, albeit it helped me), just remember for a second that it's not a "three million users" software or a two decade old multibillionaire company

*Fails on very simple features, succeeds on very complex parts

Josh Brady

Sooo... You are complaining about BackWorks?  I imagine their approach is similar to your idea.  Why does it suck?  Various reasons that you don't have the background to understand.  Your idea is hardly original, and it has been discussed and attempted before.  Idea : Backwards compatible tool

This software would be expensive.  How expensive?  Let's think.  Sales has to cover development cost, support, etc.  Who is the market?  SW users who are already too cheap to update their software.  What is that market size?  Pretty decent, and based on DS corporate decisions it grows. But you gotta convince people who won't pay for subscription to shell out a similar amount for a tool that only works most of the time (at best), and can't capture changes to the ways features are defined.

Matt Gjertson

Kind of surprised nobody brought this up yet.  It was my first thought.  If I had the time to do it, I'd offer to give it a shot.  But I'd want payment upfront, and I'd probably charge more than it would cost to upgrade his 2013 seat to 2017.  It's certainly a bit beyond my current capabilities, so it might take me quite a while to do it too, given how many new aspects of the API I'd have to learn.

I think the idea is kind of neat, just from a "can it be done" standpoint.  I don't think there's much actual utility in it, aside from dealing with outside sources/clients that have older software.  If that were the case, I'd probably develop it and keep it proprietary, as it would give me a pretty sweet competitive advantage.

Lucas Silva

"Why does it suck?"

Maybe suck is not the right word. Maybe strange or obscure, because it fails on simple tasks and succeeds on hard ones

But you're right: I don't know the reasons

My bet it's not of technical difficulty, but lack of debug (kind of new software)

One thing I disagree is that people avoid newer versions (solidworks) because of the price. It's much probably for the lack of improvement

Christian Chu

I'm just wondering why you decided to bring this up and fight (super hard) for it even though you know it's not going to happen

Is there any better thing to do?

Jim Steinmeyer

I was thinking that since there are other obviously competitive CAD software programs that have the backward compatibility, maybe Lucas should be using one of them. Since it is such a valuable advantage one of those programs will shortly become the hot new tool to use and will soon swallow the market share from such non-responsive (obviously under preforming) programs as SolidWorks, Creo, Inventor, SolidEdge, UG and Catea.

Lucas Silva

Myself I tested two of those. Inventor superficially. Started learning CAD on ProE. Maybe I migrate when I can AND find a better one

Jim Steinmeyer

Lucas Silva wrote:

Myself I tested two of those. Inventor superficially. Started learning CAD on ProE. Maybe I migrate when I can AND find a better one

And since I have used both of them in the past as well I am sure you found that neither of them have the ability you are searching for either. Keep trying and maybe your quest will be rewarded. But I suspect that since you have now used what I think are the 3 most common programs you will have a harder time finding an employer or vendors with the others.

Lucas Silva

After dark clouds (average arguments) there are always constructive insights

I can see them

Christian Chu

SW will not add this feature and I'll not  do this but let say I'm going to create a package (scrip that records all the features) for you and it's not going to be cheap

Then when you try to run the scrip and open the document  on the old version, there will be  more and more issues year by year and the cost to maintenance the software up the ceiling

Overall, the cost will be more than paying for the subscription.

Kelef Man

as you came to the point yourself-

just as a form of an up date

whilst observing this post/thread

I've been spending my free time

in the land of How's Now't Is-

for those who don't travel

as much as others-

this is where all is right with the

visible discernible world as is-

although I know that it is more of

a stream, river, waterfall- spin and repeat affair

smooth and fragile with unknown future

a world of calm and beauty, rainbow coloured unicorns

knowing that at any instance this visit

will certainly come to an end-

and be plunged back into the world of

You're $h1ttin Me

my personal preference would be

to continue travelling to other lands

best on to Not Now, or Not Yet

and of course No Not Ever

but ah well we all know too well

that is a place that cann't exist

yes- this is a plagerized format- observational view

yes- restylized- ask S.Hawkins

yse- been trinkin- aschk heh barman

one horizontal   kelef