Ricky Gutierrez

Admin Image Drive Install

Discussion created by Ricky Gutierrez on Jan 13, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 by Steve Prodger
I have gotten pretty familiar with the creation of Admin Images the past two years but just the other day I had the following problem and wanted to know if anyone else had issues like this

We have twenty something seats of SW2009 and all are installed on the users C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2009 directory, for the exception of one. I have one designer who has a D:\ listed as the system drive and a C:\ as a general storage. So when the admin image was deployed to his machine it installed on C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2009. This was expected since thats where the admin image was orginally told to install. But i got curious and disconnected his c:\ drive which then made the installer crash.

So my next "brilliant" idea was, well i will just find a way to make the admin image install on the %systemdrive% area but could not find a way to do it. In the end i just modified that computers settings on the admin image to install on d:\

I asked my VARs about the issue and they said it was a limitation of the software so I submitted an enhancement request.

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever been able to modify the admin image files to search for the systemdrive and install on there?

Outcomes