7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 8:44 PM by Erik Bilello

Drawing Elevation View

Frans Labuschagne

Good day everybody

I am new to generating drawings in solidworks.

When drawing vessels in general, an elevation view is required to clearly give the elevation of the nozzles attached to the vessel. When generating drawings from the 3D models, the nozzle orientation is fixed as it is in the model.

Currently, I use different configurations of the same model to create the "flat" view of the vessel. This takes up a lot of time.  I would like to know if solidworks has a function or something that I can use to "flatten" the drawing to a 2D layout?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Drawing Elevation View
          Jim Paige

Can you post a screenshot?

Frans Labuschagne

Hi Jim

On the screenshot attached, the left side is the as built view while the right side is the flattened view that I am looking for.

Peter Brinkhuis

Is the elevation view not just a side of front view, depending on your model?

Oh wait, is it meant to show the height of every nozzle around the circumference? In that case I have no knowledge of a feature that could create such a view.

Erik Bilello

At a glance, aligned section views might be as close as you will easily get without creating additional configurations.  For a vessel with nozzles at more than 2 angles, as your example shows, you will probably need more than one view.

I don't have anything comparable to your vessel to play with just at present.  Do you have an example of a typical model or assembly you would want to make a drawing of, that you can post?

Also, how do you define the angular locations of the nozzles?  Is that listed on the table that is showing in the upper right?  This is looking like a situation where industry and or company conventions lets you get away with fewer drawing views than might otherwise be required. That can sometimes be fiddly to do with SW where the "automated" features are geared toward standard practices.

Erik,

Frans Labuschagne

Hi Erik,

I only joined the industry recently and am still figuring out how to use Solidworks properly but yeah, got no idea what I'm doing actually x_x.

The table in the picture contains the vessel design data. Generally we display the nozzle information on one drawing with two different views as shown in the attached image.  If you want I could send you this model to play around with..

PS also new to the forum... found it on the screen the previous time but where do I upload files?

Vessel Views.PNG

Erik Bilello

Frans,

I suppose I should say "Welcome to the forum." then.

To upload files you need to click on "Use Advanced editor" in the upper right corner of the regular editor that you get when you first hit "Reply". (Thinking back to distributor timing terminology, I'm tempted to call it the "Retarded Editor" but that might not go over too well.) The text doesn't look clickable but it will switch you to a new dialog box with the Attach option in lower right corner.  If you have an assembly and/or drawing to attach, use the Pack and Go feature to zip all necessary files into one that will retain their relations.

Also take a look here Frequently Asked Forum Questions

Glenn has a link to Deepak Gupta's guide to using the forum near the top of the FAQ post.

Between those, you should be off to a good start.

Erik,